Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2020 11:09:56 PM EDT
I've been keeping this under my hat for some time, waiting until all of the pieces fell into place...

This happened today:

Attachment Attached File

The house is known as Ivy Terrace or the Governor Stephens house, is on the national register, and is an important part of the effort to revitalize the Capitol Ave historic district.

This morning we (a family owned LLC) closed on, and took possession of the property. Excited, but there is much, much work to be done to restore the house to it's former glory.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:18:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Dope. I always have a long stare at that house when I drive by it. Glad to see someone is going to take care of it. I expect an invite to the house warming.

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:28:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Very cool.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:10:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

A picture from the 1890's which appeared in the architect's portfolio (house was built in 1893)

Attachment Attached File

A picture of the street, date unknown.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:24:51 AM EDT
[#4]
That’s pretty cool right there.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:27:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've been keeping this under my hat for some time, waiting until all of the pieces fell into place...

This happened today:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/389149/undated_modern_view_jpg-1401662.JPG

The house is known as Ivy Terrace or the Governor Stephens house, is on the national register, and is an important part of the effort to revitalize the Capitol Ave historic district.

This morning we (a family owned LLC) closed on, and took possession of the property. Excited, but there is much, much work to be done to restore the house to it's former glory.
View Quote

Post a huge walk through... Lots of pics...

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 1:02:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By smullen:

Post a huge walk through... Lots of pics...

View Quote

There's going to be a youtube channel, some video was already recorded today. We will be tracking the entire restoration, from the damage and modification done through the years to all
the investigation of the original configurations, colors, etc.

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 1:37:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Any damage to it from the tornado last year?
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 7:38:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Today OP was a pretty cool guy.  What is the abridged version of the work to be done?
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 8:19:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:
Any damage to it from the tornado last year?
View Quote

There was a non original garage behind the house that got damaged and was torn down by the city. There's a dormer and small add-on room that are leaking because the roofing has failed, that may have been caused by, or worsened by the tornado. Two of the posts atop the tower have broken, but they seremed to be rotted, so probably already failed before the storm.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 8:28:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Buckshot4U:
Today OP was a pretty cool guy.  What is the abridged version of the work to be done?
View Quote

New roof starting with some structural repairs, modern heating and cooling on all floors, full rewire with more service, repointing some brick and some parts of the limestone foundation. There were some closets added to some rooms that will removed. There are two windows that were stolen and will need remade; one stained glass, the other clear leaded glass.

The interior is largely intact and will be restored fairly easily. Structure and foundation are sound and will need only repairs from water damage. Exterior will need quite a few repairs and a color restoration to the original.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Glad to see somebody taking it on. Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 5:18:34 PM EDT
[#12]
This is really cool.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:26:32 AM EDT
[#13]
What is the plan for after the renovation?  Will you be living in it, will it be a bed and breakfast, or something else?

Good luck and enjoy the project!
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:57:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By FshHead:
What is the plan for after the renovation?  Will you be living in it, will it be a bed and breakfast, or something else?

Good luck and enjoy the project!
View Quote

Small events and meeting spaces, there will be a small business located in a portion as well. All uses will have zero impact on the restoration of the home which will include period furnishings and decorations. Except for the open top tower, that's where I'll be found enjoying the evening and a cold beer.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 1:36:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:10:59 AM EDT
[#16]
That's great,
I carried mail on Capitol Ave. I'm the late 80's and remember when they cleaned the house up and painted it the current red, I even tried to buy a house in the 400 block but Barbara got wind of it and bought it out from underneath me, I confronted her about it and she said " I'm trying to maintain the integrity of the neighborhood ".

Glad to see some of these will be taken care of, she tore way to many down and let the others fall apart.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:21:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By postlgrunt:
I even tried to buy a house in the 400 block but Barbara got wind of it and bought it out from underneath me, I confronted her about it and she said " I'm trying to maintain the integrity of the neighborhood "
View Quote

Well, she succeeded, if maintaining the integrity of the neighborhood means keeping two blocks worth of some of the most historic homes in town in a universally run-down and neglected condition.

Why oh why couldn't the tornado have veered just two blocks west?
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:52:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Just a quick update: we hacked down the overgrown bushes and hauled them away today, it looks better but bare.

Busy inside the tower replacing all of the water damaged wood structure. There is some heavy damage and we are really digging to make sure that it is all replaced with new wood. There is one structural member that will have to be replaced and thats taking a bit of time.

Hope to have temp power soon which will speed up repairs. Ill post some pictures soon.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:23:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Awesome house, those projects are a labor of love.

Years ago I worked on a historical renovation of a downtown building, getting every little thing approved by the historical board was enough to keepme from ever doing one of those again.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:43:08 PM EDT
[#20]
As it turns out, the woman who owns the house next door is the granddaughter of a previous owner and she provided us with some pictures and history:

House as it is right now:

Attachment Attached File

Monochromatic look from~ 1940s (bleah)

Attachment Attached File

This one from early 1900s; second owner, colorized B&W photo that faded. This is still as-built as far as we know:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 12:28:41 AM EDT
[#21]
In on one of what I expect to be a great thread.
Can't wait for more pictures, and post pics of work being done, not just completed, PLEASE!!!
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 1:12:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Nice. I like the updates.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Very cool.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Badass!!!! I’m on the other side of the state but that is a cool house. Update with pics from inside if there is anything cool to show off.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 2:12:48 AM EDT
[#25]

Amazing..!!!

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 9:49:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Attachment Attached File

The lighting in one of the rooms. Original lighting was gas, the pipe was installed just under the flooring by notching the floor joists and runs to all rooms. Knob and tube was run in the 1920's judging by the fixtures in the house. Romex was in the 1960s era. The fuse panels were of the glass screw-in type and probably installed with the romex. I found and old panel upstairs that looked like a safe, with a chrome handle and black crinkle paint, that was probably original to the K & T install.

Attachment Attached File

The cellar under the tower. "It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again"

This area is 13' diameter and it looks like it will become a wine cellar.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:12:00 PM EDT
[#27]
I like that cellar area. Looks like a good place for a round table and hanging out with friends. Can we see a pic of the "old panel upstairs that looked like a safe"? That sounds interesting too.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#28]

Fireworks from the house (FB link)

https://www.facebook.com/ivyterracejcmo/videos/2693515877601842
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 3:52:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Friend of mine has the Funeral Home on Capital. Woods Memorial.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#30]
I drove by the other day and saw the top of the turret "fell off"
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#31]
I did not catch, are you going to fix it and flip it, or live in it?
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Friend of mine has the Funeral Home on Capital. Woods Memorial.
View Quote

Some of us have spent a lot of evenings in that building.
I even had it arranged for my final ride in the oldest hearse, but the tornado wrecked it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 11:38:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I drove by the other day and saw the top of the turret "fell off"
View Quote

With a little help from Scott's Crane.

Most likely we will be building a new one, the old one has some twists and warpage that probably arent time practical to repair.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

It will house a retail shop and be space for rent for meeting and events.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Most likely we will be building a new one, the old one has some twists and warpage that probably arent time practical to repair.
View Quote

I suspect this is not the last time you'll say something like this. I can't imagine the headaches that await you.

I'll be watching as I drive by everyday . . . and rooting for you!
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#36]
a couple of picture updates:

Attachment Attached File

Speaking tube. This runs from the kitchen to the Master BR. The tube is there, but the actual speaking consoles are not. Reproductions are available, so we'll replace this to full function eventually.

Attachment Attached File

The Lady's hat.  This had to come down for safety while repairing the roof of the room below. In the end it will have to be rebuilt new since there is too much settling and warping to make repairing the old one a reasonable exercise.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This happened today:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/389149/undated_modern_view_jpg-1401662.JPG

View Quote
Wow!

What a beauty.

Link Posted: 8/11/2020 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Given the means to restore it ......... I would live in it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#39]
This fireplace in 1890 something...

Attachment Attached File

..in 2020
The white trim was stained wood and will be restored as such.

Attachment Attached File

The actual front door:
The white paint is not original.

Attachment Attached File

The screen door is followed by the storm doors {white w/stained glass in pic) then a small foyer then the actual entry doors which are a pair of stained wood doors with etched glass windows
and a full width transom on top. During waking hours, the screen doors would be propped open and the storm doors folded back into the foyer framing a more grand entrance. The lower levels
were boarded up by the city, we have left them that way until we get a security system installed. It's pretty dark in there.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 12:19:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Interesting pics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top