Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2020 9:39:01 AM EDT
Hi Wyoming,

Was planning on being in Jackson around May 16th for four or five days. I know the Tetons and Yellowstone appear to be closed for the near future. My wife and I mainly like to hike, are the surrounding National forests still available for hiking? Are the restaurants in Jackson open? We don’t require much, just hiking, sight seeing and a place to eat!

Any thoughts? We are not committed, but are dying to get out of KC!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I hate to be a negative Nelly, but have you heard of the COVID-19 pandemic?

You are welcome to come to Wyoming, but by Executive Order anybody entering the state is required to quarantine for 14 days before going out in public.  If you intend to stay for less than 14 days, you are required to quarantine your entire visit.  See: “health.wyo.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Quarantine-Directive-14-days-2020-04-29.pdf” to read the actual order.

I also don’t know if you can currently rent a motel room in Wyoming, make sure you have someplace to stay before you come.  Also FYI, the restaurants (and most of the stores) are closed (or only allow curbside service) due to the pandemic.  I think you would regret coming to Wyoming at this time.

If it’s any consolation, last year I fully paid for a 12 day Alaska cruise that was to start May 12; that isn’t happening either (because the US/Canada border is closed among other reasons).  I am waiting to see how much of my money I may or may not get back.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Pandemic you say!

I did see that order and noticed it expires May 8th. Missouri is starting to open. I was hoping Wyoming might be about to do the same. Thanks for checking in I know it's a tough time. Was hoping to get there when things start to open up.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 12:45:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I did not notice that the order now expires on May 8.  All I noticed was that a month old Executive Order was reissued on April 29.  

You might be right and the Governor intends to open businesses on May 8 (in two days?), but I haven’t heard anything about it.  We have always been able to leave our houses whenever we wanted, but nothing is open (except gas stations, grocery & hardware stores).  Our state parks never closed for day use, only for overnight camping.  I have no idea what the national parks and forests did or are doing.

I hope you’re right, because I need a haircut and am sick and tired of being cooped up in my house.

Personally I still think going to Jackson at this time is a big risk.  But it would be an adventure; maybe not a good adventure though.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 10:51:24 PM EDT
[#4]
National Parks:  closed, but you can drive by the Tetons on HWY 89
US Forest Service land is not closed by the government, except for developed areas like campgrounds.
Many of the forest trails/roads are still under mud/snow and are not really passable.  This varies by location and day to day.
We had a pretty big snow year this year.  We also did not get our January thaw like normal.  There is still lots of snow in the mountains.
Restaurants in Jackson are open for carry out and delivery only.  Some hotels are still open and the 14 day quarantine ends at midnight tonight so you can wander about freely (as long as you are 6 feet from all other humans and wear a mask where virus distancing is not possible).
All of the bars and night life are shut down, but all of the liquor stores and grocery stores are open.
All of the bike paths are open, so if you're into cycling there are lots of options for pounding pavement.

We are seeing more and more out of state plates every day.  People want to get away from wherever they are and some are coming here.  You will not have the full Jackson/Tetons/Yellowstone experience as normal.

Check out JHCOVID.com for the latest details on local health orders and sitrep for infections, etc.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top