Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2021 10:01:15 AM EDT
Every year, I have to pay more taxes to this state in addition to what I paid during the previous year on my paychecks. I take the maximum deductions; I'm single, no dependents. But it's never enough, for them. They feel the need to take just a little bit more at the end. Granted, it's really not THAT much, considering.....but it's something. The old "nickle and dime you to death" saying comes to mind.

Thankfully, I just got my bonus at work, so I used some of that to pay it. But I don't know what it is about this state that they always seem to want more.

Every year, I try to make more than the previous year. And every year, my federal refund gets bigger. And every year, my state payment gets bigger. They just can't seem to ever get enough money from me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:48:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Shop around states, it’s either higher property tax or state income taxes, it’s all about the same. Property taxes are low here sales tax is higher, all evens out.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 1:01:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Its a load of BS. Gadsden takes 2% of my check in addition. I don't even live there.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 7:29:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I know that feeling. I was in the military stationed in Washington. After having to pay an additional $200+ during tax season, I gave Alabama the finger and became a Washington resident. I didn't have to pay real estate taxes because I was either in the dorms or in an apartment. Sales tax and vehicle registration was about the sale. I think groceries were also tax free or had lower taxes. Gas wasn't much higher. And there wasn't any state income tax for the military.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 9:31:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I know how you feel. I’ve started reevaluating how long I stay where I’m at.

City bumped our property tax bill 20% last year, the check I just cut to the county for 1 year of vehicle registration would have paid my vehicle registrations in Florida for 3 years, the gas tax hike, the 9% sales tax, highest booze tax in any state I’ve ever lived in, the state income tax on top of that . . . and all that money seems to just go into a black hole in Montgomery.

That plus Governor Grandma compared to Desantis makes me feel like I was a bit hasty in swearing off Florida.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top