Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2021 8:42:23 PM EDT
The AC has died.  The blower fan won't turn on and everything has iced up.  Meh!
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:H
The AC has died.  The blower fan won't turn on and everything has iced up.  Meh!
View Quote

I am NO kinda HVAC tech, but I always look at the capacitor when it comes to screwed up chilling devices.

I'm sure that someone qualified to comment will chime in soon.....
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 10:13:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, from what I read, the relay or capacitor are the most common culprits.  Neither of which I know anything about.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 10:41:45 PM EDT
[#3]
If the capacitor is bulged at either end, it’s shot. That’s the dead giveaway.

I’m not an HVAC tech but have replaced my fair share of capacitors.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 10:50:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I feel for you. Fans, more fans, and cold showers!

On a side note, I have no idea how my dad and his parents survived in south florida without AC. Mine was out last week and the one before and it was brutal. There's only so much you can get "used to".
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 12:02:06 AM EDT
[#5]
You should turn it off until it gets serviced.

Coils probably iced over because the air handler is not moving air over it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 12:19:57 AM EDT
[#6]
First thing we did.  We called a repair company but since it was after hours on a Friday night there's no telling when they will contact us.  Probably Monday.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 6:43:18 AM EDT
[#7]
There are a lot of HVAC companies in the metro area that  work 7 days a week and  provide 24 hour service.

You pay more for weekend and after hour calls but do have alternatives to being uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 2:58:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Repair guy is here now.  The capacitor was blown, the " electronic board" control thing was blown and the blower fan is getting 13 volts 1.6 volts according to the guy.  

The system is about 20 years old according to him.  They don't know if they can even get a control board for it.  The whole system was sort of pieced together it seems.

So now we have to find out if they can even replace the board and even if they can the blower fan is pulling way too many volts and likely has to be replaced.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 3:49:09 PM EDT
[#9]
So it pretty much turned into a worst case scenario.  Because of course it would.

We still don't know if they can even get the control board because it's all been discontinued.  The blower is borked.  The inside system is at least 20 years old and not in good shape (the stuff that's still working).  The outside unit has to be modified because it's a Freon system.  The outside unit works but isn't in the best shape.  He couldn't test it without the other stuff being fixed first.  

So it came down to patching the system (assuming they could even get the discontinued board) and waiting for the next thing to go which was over a grand just to do that or replacing the entire system.  

It just didn't make sense to keep paying to patch a Frankenstein system and never knowing when it was going to finally give up the ghost.  So, unfortunately, we are having to replace the entire system

They are going to install a few portable units until Tuesday when they come in and replace everything.  

Fudge.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like y'all made the right decision even though it wasn't the cheapest way out. I'd have bit the bullet, cussed a blue streak, and done the some thing. Paying out $1,000 to patch up a POS system makes no sense in the long run. Sorry it was such a calamitous failure!!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 6:57:54 PM EDT
[#11]
If an AC is going to have issues, it will be on a weekend or holiday.

Sorry for the bit of bad luck.  At least it's not peak hot weather.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 7:05:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, it's fairly uncomfortable right now but not unbearable.  They are going to deliver the first portable AC tomorrow to use until they install the new system Tuesday.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#13]
New system is in and running.  It's way more efficient, WAY more advanced, much quieter, and far more effective but dang that hurt.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 8:37:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
New system is in and running.  It's way more efficient, WAY more advanced, much quieter, and far more effective but dang that hurt.
View Quote

Congrats!  
Its only money.  If you hadn't spent it on an AC, you would have just blown it on stupid stuff like food or gas or bills.  If you're going to be broke, you might as well be cool!  
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I probably have one in my near future, my current unit is 31 years old so I've been expecting it to die the last several years. Wouldn't mind a quieter, more efficient system but hate to spend the coin since I plan on moving in the next year or so.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I probably have one in my near future, my current unit is 31 years old so I've been expecting it to die the last several years. Wouldn't mind a quieter, more efficient system but hate to spend the coin since I plan on moving in the next year or so.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just an FYI, the HVAC guy said that due to new EPA regulations kicking in, the prices for everything was going up about 30% in a month.  He said he was recommending to his friends to upgrade asap if they need a new system.

The good news is a new more efficient system would give you lower bills and increase the value of your house so you would get something for your money.  But, yeah, it's definitely serious coin.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 9:21:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Congrats!  
Its only money.  If you hadn't spent it on an AC, you would have just blown it on stupid stuff like food or gas or bills.  If you're going to be broke, you might as well be cool!  
View Quote

Yup, that's for sure.  ??
Top Top