Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2022 5:25:55 PM EDT
I know it exists

Has anyone tried or actually received an exemption? Without becoming a police officer obviously.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:47:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless you're a "special person" (ex-LEO,  state court judge, corrections officer, parole officer, etc.) you're basically SOL, MCL 28.425o, the concealed pistol law, doesn't have any provision for a regular citizen to apply for those exemptions.

The easiest entry to "Protected Super Citizen" status, whose basic right to self defense is recognized by the State, is probably either:

1. to become an auxiliary officer or reserve officer of a police or sheriff's department [  MCL 28.425o(5)(g)  ]

2. to become a licensed private investigator or private detective [  MCL 28.425o(5)(c)  ] (this license is probably only feasible if you've either worked for a licensed investigator full time for the last 3 years, or are 3+ years out of a bachelor's or graduate degree program in criminal justice or a related field)
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Become a reserve deputy.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 10:31:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Become a reserve deputy.
View Quote

+1  Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

+1  Ask me how I know.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Become a reserve deputy.

+1  Ask me how I know.

It’s really not all it’s cracked up to be.

I’d you find yourself involved in litigation will your agency back you with legal representation?

If you are hurt while working will you be covered on the agency’s work comp?

I say this because unless you are a paid employee you are a private citizen volunteering and are simply a designated representative.

Anyone who tells you otherwise you should ask to get the policy in writing and given to you for your records.

It’s not worth the check box if that’s all you’re after.

Link Posted: 6/6/2022 12:45:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 8:37:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yup, one has to be put through the same hiring process as a Deputy with none of the benny's
View Quote

I did it for 10 years. Enjoyed it. Made at least one long term friend.

With all the BLM rioting they actually shut down our reserve unit. Kind of pissed me off.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It’s really not all it’s cracked up to be.

I’d you find yourself involved in litigation will your agency back you with legal representation?

If you are hurt while working will you be covered on the agency’s work comp?

I say this because unless you are a paid employee you are a private citizen volunteering and are simply a designated representative.

Anyone who tells you otherwise you should ask to get the policy in writing and given to you for your records.

It’s not worth the check box if that’s all you’re after.

View Quote

As of 3 years ago we now get workers comp from the county.
But I have to agree with you on your other statements. Been doing it
for 12 years have enjoyed myself and the friends I have made but with the current
climate on hating on everything law enforcement and not getting support, I am been thinking of stopping or just stick
to jail duty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top