Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2021 11:25:41 PM EDT
I have accepted a job in Terre Haute Indiana.  Is there any crazy requirements to own NFA items in Vigo county?  With minimal research I was reading in another forum Indiana requires, or used to require some sort of local permit or "register" with the local sheriff.  I cant find any supporting documents though. Can anyone help point me in a good direction here.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#1]
i live two counties over.  i have never heard of anything like that in indiana.  other than getting an LEO sign off on atf submissions

you will be close to one of the best gun stores in Indiana...Top Guns.   they are awesome and are a class III dealer.   I have a suppressor in jail there as i wait.

give them a call and i am sure the staff can help you on Vigo specifics.

good luck on the new job
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:13:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Federal law used to require a signoff from a CLEO having jurisdiction over you. If in the city that would mean Chief of Police, Sheriff, or "chief" of the State Police. County would be Sheriff or State Police. Many larger cities had CLEOs that were anti gun and wouldn't sign and often the Sheriff didn't want the political tension of signing for city residents when the Chief wouldn't, and the State Police wouldn't either. This is all null and void since 2016. Now it's just a notification that your CLEO gets instead of a "permission slip".

There is no state law requiring such so CLEOs no longer have any say, they just get notified.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 12:03:08 PM EDT
[#3]
By Indiana law a local county, town, city, etc can not (generally) create their own firearm laws. And as another poster said, you don't need CLEO signoff anymore to get your NFA paperwork approved.

IC 35-47-11.1-2 Sec. 2. Except as provided in section 4 of this chapter, a political subdivision may not regulate:

(1) firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories;
(2) the ownership, possession, carrying, transportation, registration, transfer, and storage of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories; and
(3) commerce in and taxation of firearms, firearm ammunition, and firearm accessories.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:02:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to the Wabash Valley.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:56:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Like everyone else said, no restrictions, just cleo notification only for NFA stuff and also C&R licenses as well if you have or are interested in getting. Welcome to Indiana!
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 1:48:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you everyone for the replies.  Im looking forward to experiences that lay ahead.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#7]
sorry for the late reply.  Terre Haute sucks and I can't wait till my kids are grown so I can get the fuck out of this shit hole.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
sorry for the late reply.  Terre Haute sucks and I can't wait till my kids are grown so I can get the fuck out of this shit hole.
View Quote

Over a year late!

Terre Haute isn't terrible...their PD is a bit over zealous and could easily be the PD you hear about lawsuits against for rights violations etc. (At least they used to be that way). Terre Haute certainly has it's downsides, but if you think there is some golden city out there that doesn't have downsides I have some ocean front property in AZ for sale!

People used to call it stinky/smelly/etc because of the paper mill but after that shut down the smell went away. Yeah it has it's slums and bad areas, but also has a lot going for it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 10:04:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Agree, I would say it trending the right direction. Better than 10-15 years ago.

With the exception of the panhandling at intersections on the south end, anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top