Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2022 2:54:53 PM EDT
Good news,

Turkey hunting in Iowa just got a bit more fun and added some flexibility.  41 other states allow this, and Iowa is joining them, finally.  It’s pretty simple stuff, actually.  Ripped right from the Senate File (SF2334):

“The commission shall authorize a person hunting turkey with a license that authorizes the use of a shotgun to use a caliber .410 shotgun or a 28-gauge shotgun.  A caliber .410 shotgun or a 28-gauge shotgun used for hunting turkey shall only shoot shot not smaller than shot size number 10.”

Starts July 1st.

https://iowafc.org/2022/03/24/iowa-turkey-hunting-added-410-and-28gauges/
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 9:13:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting.  Didn't even know this was an issue.  I use 20 gauge.

Not sure what "market" this addresses.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 11:06:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Youth shooters and those adult hunters that like the challenge of getting a tom within 10-15 yards.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 3:36:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Youth shooters and those adult hunters that like the challenge of getting a tom within 10-15 yards.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

410 is not a youth gun, that myth needs to die.  It's for expert shooters who can actually hit something.  The 410 has probably driven more kids out of shotgun shooting than anything else.  I'm the only 20 gauge turkey hunter I know.  I've never heard of anyone wanting a smaller gauge for toms.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

410 is not a youth gun, that myth needs to die.  It's for expert shooters who can actually hit something.  The 410 has probably driven more kids out of shotgun shooting than anything else.  I'm the only 20 gauge turkey hunter I know.  I've never heard of anyone wanting a smaller gauge for toms.
View Quote

In my youth I grew up with my grandpa's 410 only.  I got very good at hitting what I was aiming at.  

I find it interesting that those that can't do always assume that everyone else can't do it either....  
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the new whizbang, $7 per round tungsten turkey loads that improve the performance of the smaller guns.

Not saying you should be locked into those loads, but like any other gun modern ammo really helps.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:06:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Only .410 I have is a derringer and a Savage Kimel Kamper...neither will get me a turkey.
View Quote

I shot at a sparrow with my Bond .410. Missed at 15 feet.

But I also have a very low use Mossberg 500 that might get used.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 2:10:04 AM EDT
[#8]
My first gun age 3 was a .410 Winchester single shot.  When I was 5 or 6 my grandfather would give me one .410 shell and send me into the woods behind the house with the promise that if I brought a dove or squirrel back I would get another shell . What I brought back was lunch. With a .410 the turkeys head is the target and if you have a full choke 25 yds or closer with 7. 1/2 is fine.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top