Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2020 4:07:18 AM EDT
I'm originally from central IA, joined the mil and now live in a different state (retired mil) and the wife and I just now decided to head to Iowa.

Planning on stopping in at Brownell's new place and then going up and around ending up in Ames (we think) and then possibly to Mall of America on the way out.

With Covid 19 are the restaurants open along 80 and in the smaller towns, I'm assuming the state wants people to wear masks, how about "protesters" saw some in Des Moines and that the Governor had one throw himself at her car pandering to the media and such.

How about firearms laws, it's been along time and while my CCP is honored in Iowa, we are not bringing any SBR's or cans. but packing a AR pistol and couple pistols.

Normally concealed, just wondering about open carry, is that something you can do or even see in Iowa?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 7:15:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Most restaurants are open across the state. Some with very liberal owners are still closed because they are still too scared to go out and about.

Protesters are pretty much a non factor unless you're in Des Moines. They are primarily centered around the state house but have gone to some areas in West Des Moines. Ames has had a few typical college aged kids protesting in college town but that's been about it.
I'm in Boone so if you're in town for awhile feel free to hit me up. I'll buy you a beer

As far as I know, you're fine carrying an AR pistol in your vehicle. I've been doing it regularly since the riots kicked off. Can't say I really give 2 shits what the law says for this one in today's world
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Open carry, most places I've seen in the Mason City area dont give a shit, unless posted,  some even have employees on our side. Restaurants have been covered. Come an hour east of your planned route to Alta Vista and I'll light the grill.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Could not long on from the phone for some reason......

Stayed in Ames, my grampa was stationmaster in Boone and they have a picture of him in the RR museum, mom rode her pony up the slag pile & another relative was a member of the historical society and had that last slag pile in Iowa saved.....not to mention we ate a a really wonderful little cafe/buffet in Boone that had food like we can not get at home....

Hit Marshalltown for a real deal Maid Rite and to see how it's going after the tornado and had a killer tenderloin and root beer in Bondurant

Think the best part was going to Fairway, nothing like that at home, it's a haven of wonderful fresh fruit and such & the meat counter gave me meat sweats just looking at it......got a cooler and filled it up with meat & going to be grilling for the next few days
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 11:08:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Stayed in Ames, my grampa was stationmaster in Boone and they have a picture of him in the RR museum, mom rode her pony up the slag pile & another relative was a member of the historical society and had that last slag pile in Iowa saved.....not to mention we ate a a really wonderful little cafe/buffet in Boone that had food like we can not get at home....

Hit Marshalltown for a real deal Maid Rite and to see how it's going after the tornado and had a killer tenderloin and root beer in Bondurant

Think the best part was going to Fairway, nothing like that at home, it's a haven of wonderful fresh fruit and such & the meat counter gave me meat sweats just looking at it......got a cooler and filled it up with meat & going to be grilling for the next few days
View Quote

Glad the trip's going well.

Yeah, Fareway gets a lot of our money. Between them and living in small rural towns I'm never too far from a good meat locker. Have fun, and enjoy.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 6:12:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah, Fareway gets a lot of our money. Between them and living in small rural towns I'm never too far from a good meat locker. Have fun, and enjoy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fareway gets a bit of my money too!

I loaded up last week on Iowa Chops while I was back for the 4th!
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

....Hit Marshalltown for a real deal Maid Rite and to see how it's going after the tornado and had a killer tenderloin and root beer in Bondurant

View Quote
Taylor's Maid Rite is the first place my Dad goes when he comes to visit. He remembers when the place was on the west side of 3rd Ave before they moved in the late 50's.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top