Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2020 7:12:35 PM EDT
I'm looking for another option to Frontier DSL.  They have been OK but I'd like to see what else is out there.

I'm in central CT.  I know sometimes availability is based on location.

I'm not interested in cable anything.  So no Cox, Charter or any of that BS.

I don't think I can get Verizon FIOS but I could be wrong.  Satellite internet options are intriguing but I don't know too much about them.  I would imaging service can be affected by weather etc.

I want good speed for TV streaming, regular internet use and gaming.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#1]
SpaceX Starlink?

Link Posted: 11/25/2020 9:13:50 PM EDT
[#2]
You like Frontier better than the cable companies?  Really???
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 9:17:26 PM EDT
[#3]
What is wrong with cable internet? I have Cocks cable for just internet, no phone, no TV. I get 300 down and 30 up on a good day. usually around 220/25. They are not the cheapest but their up time is superb.

I think some of the cell phone companies offer hotspots.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 9:37:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You like Frontier better than the cable companies?  Really???
View Quote

The cable companies may offer better "performance" but every experience I've had with them leaves me grimey.

Link Posted: 11/25/2020 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The cable companies may offer better "performance" but every experience I've had with them leaves me grimey.

View Quote

Fair enough.  I’ve been with Cox for 20+ years and have ad 99% positive interactions with them.  Their speeds and uptime have been great.

Would I like the bill to be lower?  Sure, but I can say that about just about everything.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 6:31:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm looking for another option to Frontier DSL.  They have been OK but I'd like to see what else is out there.
View Quote

Generally your options are going to be limited. Towns/cities limit who can run wires in their towns. As such there are usually just two options for wired internet for residential customers. "Phone" or "cable". For most of CT this means you have a choice of Frontier or Cablevision/Comcast. In some locations one may have Verizon but for most its Frontier. Business customers may have more options depending on location.

The wireless Starllink will eventually be a possibility in the next year or so. But it remains to be seen how good/bad the latency and speed will bee beyond the marketing materials.

The really shitty aspect of dealing with any of the major options in CT (Frontier, Comcast, Cablevision) is they run special deals for first time customers that make the pricing look good. But once you read the fine print you see that after a year (or two) the deal may expire and the price skyrockets. Then you have to play the STUPID yearly or every other year game of calling and trying to get the plan price lowered when the plan ends. It really sucked doing that every year with SNET (remember them) then all of the iterations of it up to the current Frontier.

I really hate Comcast. Had them for years and got tired of the bill being jacked up every year with new fee's and price increases. Frontier is now doing the same. Not to mention Frontier is in chap 11 bankruptcy. If one is on fixed income there may be special plans that are not advertised but one has to call and play the game of finding a customer service rep who will play along rather than read a script.

If one lives in a large city, see if the city offers any sort of broadband service itself. Seems some towns might be going that route with their own municipal wifi service in certain locations.

Or one could try using cellular as their broadband service but this may be pricey and present it's own with latency or speed.

There is also existing satellite broadband services like Hughes Net (sp?) but those are primarily aimed at locations (think deep country) without traditional wired broadband service and those satellite broadband services have their own issues/limitations.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 7:24:24 AM EDT
[#7]
See if Gonetspeed.com is available in your area.  They are not widely available yet, but they are building fiber optic networks around the state.  It's $50/month, with that price guaranteed forever.  I have had it in West Hartford since last year and it's been great.  No problems streaming TV with a wifi connection and a smart TV.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
See if Gonetspeed.com is available in your area.  They are not widely available yet, but they are building fiber optic networks around the state.  It's $50/month, with that price guaranteed forever.  I have had it in West Hartford since last year and it's been great.  No problems streaming TV with a wifi connection and a smart TV.
View Quote

They look pretty decent.  Unfortunately, they're not in my area yet.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 5:20:02 PM EDT
[#9]
GoNetSpeed has been amazing. Dumped Comcast/Xfinity as soon as it was an option and haven't looked back - I actually get my advertised speeds and it's not throttled at random hours.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 5:40:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I know Frontier is rolling out their fiber network in CT this coming year, but I don't know of anyone who has been truly happy with their service.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 11:55:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I know Frontier is rolling out their fiber network in CT this coming year, but I don't know of anyone who has been truly happy with their service.
View Quote

Currently Frontier is DSL. DSL was amazing back when you dialed up . Now that we have options like cable and fiber DSL is not so good.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 12:20:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've had Frontier for probably 10 years with zero down time.  I get 22 down and about 2 up which is more than enough for me.  I heard they were eventually going out of business but maybe that changed.  This bundle BS with other companies is getting old.  I pay about 58 bucks a month.  I'm always looking for something better though.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've had Frontier for probably 10 years with zero down time.  I get 22 down and about 2 up which is more than enough for me.  I heard they were eventually going out of business but maybe that changed.  This bundle BS with other companies is getting old.  I pay about 58 bucks a month.  I'm always looking for something better though.
View Quote

That is barely better than dial up.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 12:04:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Frontier is formerly AT&T and mostly runs on old two wire copper lines that used to be the the old AT&T phone land lines on the pole and in your house since Ma Bell 1st ran the lines back when rotary telephones were in our parents (and grandparents) houses!  Unless your area has had all those lines upgraded to Fiber Optic cable - you are limited to almost dial up modem speeds.  In my area with Spectrum only has RG5 copper coaxial cables on the pole and RG6 in my house but we still have close to a 100 mps download and 11 mps upload.  If we had Fiber in our area it would be much better

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 1:37:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Frontier is formerly AT&T and mostly runs on old two wire copper lines that used to be the the old AT&T phone land lines on the pole and in your house since Ma Bell 1st ran the lines back when rotary telephones were in our parents (and grandparents) houses!  Unless your area has had all those lines upgraded to Fiber Optic cable - you are limited to almost dial up modem speeds.  In my area with Spectrum only has RG5 copper coaxial cables on the pole and RG6 in my house but we still have close to a 100 mps download and 11 mps upload.  If we had Fiber in our area it would be much better

View Quote

Don't kid yourself. Copper land line phones were still in common use up to 10 years ago. Since then the push has been VOIP.

I am old enough to remember party lines and Dad refusing to pay extra for touch tone. Hell calling 2 towns over used to cost money. Back then you could hear people and unless you hung up the connection did not drop. Now you spend half the time repeating yourself, saying "can you hear me", "you are cutting out", "what is that noise?". I think we have gone backwards with telephone communication.

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
.... Now you spend half the time repeating yourself, saying "can you hear me", "you are cutting out", "what is that noise?". I think we have gone backwards with telephone communication.

View Quote

It's the road salt!

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:55:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a rotary phone in my basement
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 10:10:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Frontier is formerly AT&T....
View Quote

In CT, Frontier is formerly AT$T which was formerly SBC which was formerly SNET...

Twisted pair is still used. Mostly for POTS and DSL.

There really is no current option for cheap (sub $50) high speed internet only service (at least for me). Everyone (Comcast, Cablevision, Frontier, others) mostly do the same thing. Offer low teaser rates for a year or two then jack (double) the price. It forces the customer to play the game of calling in and hoping to get a CSR who will work a deal with you. In some cases they also tack on a $100+ install fee for high speed service. Most if not all try to get customers to bundle in extra items (TV, phone, etc.) to drive up the cost. Then there are the below the line taxes and fees they all tack on. In some cases it can add up to be 1/3 or more of a bill's total cost.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

..... Then there are the below the line taxes and fees they all tack on. In some cases it can add up to be 1/3 or more of a bill's total cost.
View Quote

Someone has to pay for the ghetto rats and their Obama phones.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top