Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2018 10:06:28 AM EDT
I made the 1 1/2 hr drive out to Indian Creek last Monday to shoot with some friends in the Upstate.  Indian Creek is about the halfway point for all of us.

The website says that the range is closed on Mondays from 8:00-9:30, and we got there a little past 11:00....gate was locked and nobody answered the phone at the Elloree DNR office.

I have a few free hours today, and I'm debating on making the drive again.  Website shows that it's open until 6:00, but I don't want to waste the gas or the 3 hr round trip--and of course, there's nobody answering the phones on Sunday.

Is there anyone in the area who can tell me if the gate is open today?

ETA:  I found the answer.  I had to go to the Francis Marion and Sumter NF website, not just the DNR website.  Range should be open today, but for the next several weeks due to logging in the area, the range will be closed Monday through Friday afternoons.  I'm heading out now--if anyone decides to swing by, I'll be the guy behind the FN SPR.

ETA again:  Good range trip!  Made some new friends, shot a qualifying MOA All Day Challenge target, and no weapon malfunctions.   It was a good day
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 5:38:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been to that range a couple of times, just to shoot at a different range, a little variety.

It's been a couple of years but I enjoyed it, and it wasn't too crowded.

Was it busy when you were there?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#2]
That range isn’t worth going to. For variety or otherwise. I suppose if you need a place to shoot 100 yards then it’s good. That’s what I did for a while but once I bought a membership somewhere else I haven’t been back.

I know it’s free but that freeness invites a lot of people I don’t care to shoot around. Spend the money on a private range membership and you’ll see why it’s worth it.

Not sure where you come from, OP, but Clinton House Plantation off exit 52 or Sandlapper Gun Club off exit 125 are both going to give you better facilities and you stand a much smaller chance of being shot or having your stuff stolen.

@d16man

“Shut up, Kyle”
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:13:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:32:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That range isn’t worth going to. For variety or otherwise. I suppose if you need a place to shoot 100 yards then it’s good. That’s what I did for a while but once I bought a membership somewhere else I haven’t been back.

I know it’s free but that freeness invites a lot of people I don’t care to shoot around. Spend the money on a private range membership and you’ll see why it’s worth it.

Not sure where you come from, OP, but Clinton House Plantation off exit 52 or Sandlapper Gun Club off exit 125 are both going to give you better facilities and you stand a much smaller chance of being shot or having your stuff stolen.

@d16man

“Shut up, Kyle”
View Quote
".....to shoot with some friends in the Upstate. Indian Creek is about the halfway point for all of us. "

I'm a member at Sandlapper and spend most of my time on the 600 yard line.  The other guys weren't willing to drive that far.  For 100 yards, I don't even have to leave my backyard.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:57:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Clinton house is 20 miles further. And would be well worth the money spent.

ETA: 20 miles further for you. 20 less for them. It’s exit 52 on I-26. If you haven’t been there it’s worth a look. 1000 yard range (being widened and possibly extended), 300 yard range, and multiple pistol bays.

Not free like Indian Creek but worth it in amenities and a lot less morons.

Like the guy d16man and I saw. Wagon full of com-bloc crap. Using a Mosin-Nagant to shoot hard drives at about 10 feet.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info!

Question:  With the $400 unlimited membership, I wouldn't have to pay the additional fees for the 1000 yd range?  If so, I think I know where I'm going to apply for membership next
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top