Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2021 7:37:55 PM EDT
You owe it to yourself to swing in to a Kwik Trip, or just about any grocery store, & pick up a pie of your choosing made by Main Street Cafe of Bloomer.

I forgot how so damn good they are.

My oldest just turned 18 the other day & he loves cheese cake. I happened to be going through Bloomer & needed gas so I swung into the Kwik Trip & saw the MSC pie case. Sure enough they had a Strawberry Cream Cheese pie.

OMG, so good. Like sex good.

I’m in no way affiliated with them, but soooo good.

Did I mention how good they are?
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 4:15:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to ride hundreds of miles on a motorcycle to get good pie with other riders. Maybe a drive is in order.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I am agree with this. I usually stop in Bloomer KT on my way to Gordon. The pies are awesome, especially for the price
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 12:44:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't been to Bloomer for about 35 years... nice little town. My parents used to have a lakeside cottage on Sand Lake,  north of there up hwy 40. We used to drive down there to go to the DQ for ice cream.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Skip Kwik Trip and go straight to the Main Street Cafe. Buy direct and skip the mark up.

Getting sick and tired of KT having the highest gas prices in town. First to go up and last to go down in price. Besides now you can't buy gas at half the pumps being prepay or card only. Sorry down the road to the next station. Not getting hacked again cause KT has their heads up their ass.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 12:13:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Their pecan pie is nothing special.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Skip Kwik Trip and go straight to the Main Street Cafe. Buy direct and skip the mark up.

Getting sick and tired of KT having the highest gas prices in town. First to go up and last to go down in price. Besides now you can't buy gas at half the pumps being prepay or card only. Sorry down the road to the next station. Not getting hacked again cause KT has their heads up their ass.
View Quote

Never actually been there. May have to. Unfortunately I’m usually in a time crunch when I’m down that direction.

Probably like a local pizza maker here. I stopped in Friday & grabbed a couple for $10 or I can buy their pizza at the grocery store for like $8-9ea.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:20:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wait - your knickers are in a twist because you have to prepay at a pump? Oh, the horrors.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 7:11:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Wait - your knickers are in a twist because you have to prepay at a pump? Oh, the horrors.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention you only have to prepay at the pumps on the very end/back because their security cameras can't see the license plates on those pumps.  Pick literally any pump in the middle and you can have the privilege of standing in line to pay for something you could've taken care of outside.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 5:06:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know what he's saying. It aggravates me too, not at a Kwik Trip but the local Shell station. Here's why...

They have 10 pumps. 6 are credit card only/pay at pump only. But the 4 nearest the building are for all payment methods - inside with cash/check/card/or corp. house account. Those 4 pumps accept cards at the pump also. I have a business charge account there, so do many others. By doing so, I get a 4 cent per gallon discount, so I buy all my gas for my work trucks there. I drive a cargo van... piss poor MPG, and a lot of miles servicing this rural area, so 4 cents per gallon adds up. So I must use one of the 4 "pay inside" pumps to get the discount, because I need to go inside and sign the receipt on the house charge. It's the closest station to my home, but it's also just 1/4 mile from the local Fed Ex Ground terminal. Most of the Fed Ex trucks (privately owned franchisees) have house charge accounts there too. So every morning they line up at the 4 "pay inside" pumps, and the other 6 'pay at pump' mostly go unused. I could get a gas credit card, or use one of my existing cards on those 6, but I don't need/want another card, and I wouldn't get the 4 cent per gallon discount. It could take me 1/2 hour to gas up in the morning, and there's empty pumps sitting idle that I can't use. So I trained myself to buy my gas on my way home, rather than on my way to work in the morning.

I usually pay cash for my pick-up truck & Jeep, my 2 non-work vehicles... at Kwik Trip, 2 miles farther down the highway (but not in the direction I normally travel for work).
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I love KT. Wish we had them in IL.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 6:19:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I usually pay cash for my pick-up truck & Jeep, my 2 non-work vehicles... at Kwik Trip, 2 miles farther down the highway (but not in the direction I normally travel for work).
View Quote

Why not get a KwikTrip house credit card for personal use?  3 cents off per gallon and 10% of all in store purchases.  
Free stuff for every 15 visits .  Turns into a pretty decent deal.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 9:33:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Appreciate the tip, even if i don't travel much anymore.  Am liking pie alot, so have been learning how to bake one.  Especially shoe-fly pie and the real deal mincemeat pie.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#13]
You mean Shoofly pie.  Thinking shoe fly makes it sound kinda nasty.  It does look like it could be tasty - easy to make too.  Might have to give that one a go.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 4:39:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Appreciate the tip, even if i don't travel much anymore.  Am liking pie alot, so have been learning how to bake one.  Especially shoe-fly pie and the real deal mincemeat pie.
View Quote

I've never had Shoofly pie but it sounds pretty good. What flavor profile does it have, like a gooey molasses cookie? Is the filling like a pecan pie but without the nuts?
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm eating KT fried chicken as I type this.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 11:11:00 PM EDT
[#16]
KT has awesome bbq rib sandwiches. Better than mcdonalds. They have gotten smaller, though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You mean Shoofly pie.  Thinking shoe fly makes it sound kinda nasty.  It does look like it could be tasty - easy to make too.  Might have to give that one a go.
View Quote

Of course you're correct, and my spelling/mind ain't getting no better as i age out!   Especially bad when named after great grandfather who was raised Mennonite sect called the River Brethern.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 9:59:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I've never had Shoofly pie but it sounds pretty good. What flavor profile does it have, like a gooey molasses cookie? Is the filling like a pecan pie but without the nuts?
View Quote

It's sweet and flavor profile is based on dark molasses/brown sugar, at least the kinds i make.  Can be wet (gooey) bottom, dry bottom or like coffe cake.  It's like a transition from gooey bottom to dry crumble top.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's sweet and flavor profile is based on dark molasses/brown sugar, at least the kinds i make.  Can be wet (gooey) bottom, dry bottom or like coffe cake.  It's like a transition from gooey bottom to dry crumble top.
View Quote

Guess who's going to be baking a shoofly pie this weekend? Time to start searching for a wet bottom recipe.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 2:29:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
KT has awesome bbq rib sandwiches. Better than mcdonalds. They have gotten smaller, though.
View Quote

They are good, but I can’t stand the heartburn afterwards. Same for their roller dogs.

Now their cheese curds… so nasty. I bought some a year ago, ate one, spit it back into the box & threw the box back in the bag. The other day I and an employee stopped at the one in Spooner & he grabbed a box. Told him they suck. Not 2 minutes after getting back in the truck I see him toss the box back in the bag after eating one or two. I looked over at him & just laughed & said, “Told ya so.”

God they are bad. Like real bad. To call those a cheese curd is an insult to the entirety of Wisconsin.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 6:01:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Spot on.  I don't even care when the McRib is available because I can get one any time I want at KT.

On Sunday I bought a rotisserie chicken and mashed potatoes.  I kept it at work and ate off of it until Wed for lunch.   Good and cheap.  The pre made mac n cheese sucks though.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 9:57:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last year Thanksgiving Day I drove up to Madison as that’s where I was staying for my cavern/intro to cave class (Madison dive shop) at a former lead/zinc mine out by Platteville. Nothing else open on Thanksgiving night so I got some fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and a biscuit at KT. Damned good.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Guess who's going to be baking a shoofly pie this weekend? Time to start searching for a wet bottom recipe.
View Quote

Most shoo-fly recipes are very similiar.  Am liking Brer Rabbit full flavored molasses and Pillsbury crust from dairy section.  How wet the bottom gets is influenced by several things.  How much of the crumb mix gets mixed with the wet mix, and how you apply the dry mix to the wet mix.  Like to apply the crumb mix as lightly as possible in thin/light layers, so it doesn't sink and thoroughly mix with the bottom mix. Also like to let the bottom mix cool a little bit before putting it into the pie shell.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#24]
It sounds like you do it similar to the way they do it in this recipe.
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/20324/wet-bottom-shoofly-pie/

I see other recipes that mention mixing half of the crumbs right into the liquid filling and then topping it with the remaining crumbs. Even though they call it a wet bottom, it sounds more like it would be more like a dry bottom or cake like. I plan to do it like you describe and like that recipe shows.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Never seen a recipe layer it like that, and have never done it that way so can't say how it works.  For wet bottom am mixing bout 1/8 cup crumb mix into filling mix, then put all into pie crust.  Then very lightly add rest of crumb mix by essentially layering it.  While cooking some crumbs go down (or absorb) part way into filling which can give you a transition from wet bottom to dry top.  If you like strong molasses flavor, don't  use any corn syrup, but replace it's volume with molasses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top