Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2021 12:40:58 AM EDT
3 or so weeks now of rain every other day. Enough to turn my yard into a moat and my backyard into a river.

I can't remember the last time it was like this. Scheduling rain here out to tuesday. Really gonna cut into workshop time.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 1:02:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Is there a HTF for the Ukraine?
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 5:07:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Texas weather: Feast or famine
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 12:07:44 PM EDT
[#3]
From a rancher point of view keep it coming.  I would rather cancel some out door fun activities and have as many full water reserves as possible.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From a rancher point of view keep it coming.  I would rather cancel some out door fun activities and have as many full water reserves as possible.
View Quote

There is still room for 21 more feet in Lake Travis.  I love to see it full because all the global warming chicken littles have to eat crow.  Of course they mostly just disappear until the water levels start to drop again, but that is almost as good.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 12:29:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I know we need the rain - but couldn't we keep the weekends sunny & dry for some range time?

My outdoor range is a complete Bog.  Then it progressed to a Marsh.  Now it is a Full On SWAMP (well most of Houston was ALREADY a swamp - but it is even WORSE than usual ...)

Trying to get a couple of rifles sighted in for some Piggie Popping over Memorial Day...  Rain is NOT helping...

I might have to practice out of my Canoe, and try to time the shots at the peak of the waves for maximum accuracy like gunners did with cannons in the age of sailing ships ...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 12:31:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There is still room for 21 more feet in Lake Travis.  I love to see it full because all the global warming chicken littles have to eat crow.  Of course they mostly just disappear until the water levels start to drop again, but that is almost as good.
View Quote

Nope.  They will keep saying it .  This is why they now use the term climate change.  They will just say this is not normal so it must be from climate change not knowing how or just ignoring how averages work.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 1:09:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't think any North Texas lake needs any more rain.  So yeah, a break from the rain would be nice.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 1:38:48 PM EDT
[#8]
We have two construction projects halted because it’s too wet to continue.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 2:30:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't think any North Texas lake needs any more rain.  So yeah, a break from the rain would be nice.
View Quote

Good .   It will help send water down to other zones.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We have two construction projects halted because it’s too wet to continue.
View Quote

Imagine this but with tons of water everywhere. I already got my truck stuck in this trash.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone need about 2 1/2 million mosquitos? I can supply them.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 10:19:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Good .   It will help send water down to other zones.
View Quote

If I could pick places to send rain, OC Fisher would be the top of the list.  Lake Meredith would be 2nd.  Amistad is 3rd.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#14]
More rain today
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 4:52:14 PM EDT
[#15]
63 degrees on May 31st.......what the fuck.

Normally we would be 4 to 8 weeks into summer now.

This is very un-desert.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeh, we got a butt-load more yesterday.

At night, it sounds like summer break at frog beach out there - all those young peepers running around, raising hell and fornicating in public...

(What round for massed frog attacks?)
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#17]
dfw forecast with more into next week.  i imagine there will be slab foundation fun once it dries out (btdt).

Link Posted: 5/31/2021 8:13:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Y’all can keep it out there, we’re floating away in central Texas

We’ve missed out on planting cotton and the rest of our Sudan. Hay season has already been set back and we’ve postponed working cattle twice now. Another week of “shop days” and I’m gonna be in the loony bin
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 10:50:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

We’ve missed out on planting cotton and the rest of our Sudan. Hay season has already been set back and we’ve postponed working cattle twice now. Another week of “shop days” and I’m gonna be in the loony bin
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We flooded a couple nights ago in that big rain but it wasn't that bad, we only had about 5 or 6 inches of water flowing across our yard. It rained a little yesterday, it's already rained tonight and and we're supposed to get a lot more in a few hours.

Some how the flood seems to have got the mosquitoes, though. We went from millions to I didn't see but one or two the next day.

We had chiggers by the millions and getting worse every year up to '16. Then we got 15" of rain in 8 hours. That time we had about 18 to 20" of very fast flowing water across the yard. In '17 was the hurricane with about the same amount of water across the yard. I haven't seen a chigger since. It also got rid of all the armadillos that were tearing our yard up so I guess some good comes from the floods.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Rain Chances of Heavy Rain / Thunderstorms range from 80% - 60% pretty much solid every single damn day until middle of next week in the Houston area...

Heat, Humidity & Mosquitos...  What a Paradise on Earth!
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 11:45:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Been waiting for concrete to be poured for a driveway extension and new patio for 5 weeks.  The forms are like dikes, holding the water in.  The dog cannot even get out the door without getting muddy...my floors may never recover.

...But I still go with what I was taught growing up in S Tx.  Never, ever, say you want the rain to stop.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 1:37:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Rain Chances of Heavy Rain / Thunderstorms range from 80% - 60% pretty much solid every single damn day until middle of next week in the Houston area...

Heat, Humidity & Mosquitos...  What a Paradise on Earth!
View Quote

That's every year April-October in that part of the state.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#23]
“It raineth on the just and unjust.”

And sometimes it just keep raining.

Mrs Rabinowitz and I spent more than 2 weeks in FL last month while Texas was getting flooded.  Rarely saw rain.  Great trip.

Very wet spells are common east of I35.  Rarely misses a year.  It isn’t unusual.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:51:28 AM EDT
[#24]
A look at historic lake levels in NorTX will give you a good depiction of rain patterns.  Our wettest time of year is May - June.

This is the history of Lavon Lake for the past few years.  If you could go back to ‘14 - ‘15, you would see drought.  We have been water wealthy for 5 years now.

Another tidbit is that the top two feet of Lavon represents 20% of usable capacity.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Forrest Gump -It Started Raining

One Day it started Raining...   and it didn't quite for Four Months...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Los Angeles has already hit 100 this year. I think we stole some of their weather.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I can't remember the last time it was like this.
View Quote

It probably depends on where you live in the state, but 2015 is a pretty safe bet for most areas. Here is DFW as an example: https://www.weather.gov/fwd/dmoprecip
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Another day, more rain. It's raining again. It's rained EVERY day for a while.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 11:31:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Turned my bag of chicharrones into shoe leather!
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 12:51:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Still raining.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It probably depends on where you live in the state, but 2015 is a pretty safe bet for most areas. Here is DFW as an example: https://www.weather.gov/fwd/dmoprecip
View Quote

Though there is considerable distance between DFW and the Central Plains, it's easy to see how the Dust Bowl got its kickstart.  The multiyear drought of the 1950s is seen along with the 2014-2015 dry years that put many of us on draconian water restrictions.

It appears that our mean rainfall total per year is approx 36 inches.  I thought it was much more than that.  Makes you appreciate the past wisdom that decided that flood control/water supply reservoirs were worth the cost.  Without them, we would be in horrible shape.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 1:54:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's going to change, we've had 13" since Monday and all flows here go directly into the north side of Travis.  3 inches just last night.  I need to find a rain gauge with more capacity than 6".  
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 3:42:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Of course it's raining again today and looks like we will get a lot of rain.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 3:28:39 PM EDT
[#34]
This is getting stupid. It rained yesterday until 9 - 10pm. It rained a little early this morning. It just started raining again.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 4:11:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That's going to change, we've had 13" since Monday and all flows here go directly into the north side of Travis.  3 inches just last night.  I need to find a rain gauge with more capacity than 6".  
View Quote

Well, Travis was up almost a foot today, but still room for another 16 and a half feet before it is full.  And another 20 or so feet above that before it is close to record levels.

Only a few sprinkles here today, but supposed to get more rain tomorrow and even more on Sunday.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Save it up. You'll wish you had it later.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Another 1.25” this morning.  I’ll take every drop.  In a few weeks, my ground will be cracking.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 1:44:14 AM EDT
[#38]
And now our usual West Texas weather begins.  My body is ready.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 6:46:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
And now our usual West Texas weather begins.  My body is ready.
View Quote

And now Houston Summer Weather begins...   My Body is ...  NOT ready for 92 degrees and 92 percent humidity ...  Plus incredible swarms of Mosquitos ...  

I'm convinced that Houston was settled by Lunatics or Escaped Convicts (or both)  thinking "No One in Their Right Minds will Think to look for us in this Hot Humid Hell because no one in their right mind could even consider living in this miserable malarial marsh of heat, humidity & hurricanes, (not to mention all the lethal mosquito diseases)  ..."  

Glad the Rain has let up (some) - but DAMN it would have been nice to carry some "Cool Spring Temperatures" for just a few more weeks ...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top