Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2018 8:37:47 PM EDT
Illinois State Police warn of possible renewal delays as wave of FOID cards come due

http://www.sj-r.com/news/20180420/illinois-state-police-warn-of-possible-renewal-delays-as-wave-of-foid-cards-come-due

Illinois State Police on Friday urged gun owners to act early if their Firearm Owners Identification card is due for renewal.

In a news release, Illinois State Police Director Leo Schmitz said the agency expects “tens of thousands” of renewal applications as the first wave of the 10-year FOID cards expire.

More than 50,000 FOID cards will expire between June 1 and August 1, he said. ISP said it has already sent renewal notices to those whose cards expire June 1.

“We recommend gun owners get their renewal applications in at least one to two months in advance so we have adequate time to process them and get a new card out before expiration,” Schmitz said.

In 2008, the General Assembly amended the state’s law that requires gun owners to carry a Firearm Owner’s Identification Card, allowing the cards to be valid for 10 years.

Applicants can visit the ISP’s Firearm Services Bureau website at www.ispfsb.com to renew online. Anyone who needs assistance with FOID card renewal, and those who prefer paper applications, can call 217-782-7980 and select menu option 0.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 11:20:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I had to get a replacement when my wallet was stolen, ISP told me over the phone that my new card would have the same expiration date as the old one. However, when I got the new FOID, I noticed it has a 2027 expiration. Right nice of them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 8:36:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Recently did my change of address for both my FOID and CCL.  The FOID took them nearly 5 weeks to process and still holds the original expiration date.  The CCL is still "Under Review" now at 7 weeks out.  Such a joke of a system...
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:05:23 PM EDT
[#3]
They are doing their best to delay and, fuck with people for just stupid stuff. I had one letter misspelled on my address on my drivers license.
They sent out a letter saying it was it was being denied because info didn't match. If I didn't send in updated info within 60 days it would be
refused. Got everything corrected. 120 days starts over. One fucking letter!
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 8:12:27 AM EDT
[#4]
It’s on purpose, antigun state making it miserable to get licensed. Wait till they start confiscation, we don’t know what trouble is.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 1:59:48 PM EDT
[#5]
...Its actually a very small office.  Nobody is fucking with anyone.  If they were, they wouldn't have advised people to take care of this early.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#6]
That's the thing. It's not OUR job to send in our renewal early. It's THEIR job to expedite the process. This is spelled out plainly in the law. I wish someone would take them to court over it. I tried to get my father to do it when his FOID renewal took well over 7 months, but he didn't want the attention or the fees. I called my state rep to complain/urge action at the time and whatta-you-know.. The new FOID arrived in 4 days.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree that it should be done faster.

That being said, I'd rather they give us a heads up than turn people into criminals over night.

Im sure the state would have no problem taking more of our money to expand ISP's FOID department though!
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:05:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Recently did my change of address for both my FOID and CCL.  The FOID took them nearly 5 weeks to process and still holds the original expiration date.  The CCL is still "Under Review" now at 7 weeks out.  Such a joke of a system...
View Quote
How hard was it to write that $75.00 check to have your address updated on your CCL ?
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 7:53:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How hard was it to write that $75.00 check to have your address updated on your CCL ?
View Quote
I think you are missing the point completely.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:02:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top