Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2019 2:01:35 PM EDT
Hey guys,  I am trying to locate an old town or village that supposed to exists in the mid to late 19th century Wisconsin.  I'm doing a family tree project but I can't find any information of the place my great-grand parents was born in Wisconsin.  I'm trying to pick any brains to see where I can go next to research.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ghost_towns_in_Wisconsin
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ghost_towns_in_Wisconsin
View Quote
I tired that and it did not work. But thanks. The town or village was Fort something. I don't have my notes on hand. I will try think out side of the box on this one.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#3]
https://www.northamericanforts.com/East/wi.html
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#4]
What other clues do you have?
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you tried ancestory.com?
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 8:39:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What other clues do you have?
View Quote
County, township, ?..
Plat book might help
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 7:02:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

County, township, ?..
Plat book might help
View Quote
I would have to check the Plat book that may help.  The biggest problem I have is my Great-grand mother birthplace was listed Fort Wayne, WI and not Indiana.  No, county was given with the records found from the Nation Archives system.   That alone is giving me a huge headache for trying to locate any records about her. My cousin, whom I am helping with in the record locating had encountered a  lot of dead ends in her research.  Since, I have no information on the German family name and I am just going on the DNA results which broke down into a French/German bloodline. I am guessing the Rhineland/Aachen area as my best bet.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 1:00:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I tired that and it did not work. But thanks. The town or village was Fort something. I don't have my notes on hand. I will try think out side of the box on this one.
View Quote
Fort Atkinson?
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Did you try the American Forts Link I posted? Every fort ever in WI is in there.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 4:45:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Did you try the American Forts Link I posted? Every fort ever in WI is in there.
View Quote
I looked that the list in the Wisconsin section but no dice.  But I thought of something else when I just went deeper in the fort website and found a listing for a Fort Wayne in Michigan.  I am going to look at both angles now.  I just sent a message to the historical society of Wisconsin for help. But I doubt that they are going to help. I am just trying to find the family name so I can pinpoint the German region for the search.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Another thought  early on in the 1800s. It was the northwest territory,  territory of Wisconsin.  And it was way bigger, pre State..
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:07:43 PM EDT
[#12]
The up of Michigan belonged to WI until it was given to MI after the kerfuffle they had with Ohio over toledo.
I think oh and WI got the short end of that stick
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I am afraid you are really looking for a needle in the haystack. For example, there is a town named Utley here in Green Lake County.

Three stone foundations, a plaque and a small sign unseen from the road if you were not looking for it...

Link to news article

Best of luck

V
OUT
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Theres a South Wayne, WI in Lafayette Co in SW WI. Pop around 500.

But if you are sure theres a "Fort" in the name, theres only 2 that I know of in WI. Fort Atkinson (Jefferson Co) and Fort Winnebago (Columbia Co).

Used to be a Fort Crawford (Crawford Co) and a Fort Howard (Brown Co. Now part of the City of Green Bay).
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Theres a South Wayne, WI in Lafayette Co in SW WI. Pop around 500.

But if you are sure theres a "Fort" in the name, theres only 2 that I know of in WI. Fort Atkinson (Jefferson Co) and Fort Winnebago (Columbia Co).

Used to be a Fort Crawford (Crawford Co) and a Fort Howard (Brown Co. Now part of the City of Green Bay).
View Quote
Yes, you are correct. I know that South Wayne, WI exist. The problem is that I am trying to figure out if the National Archives made a mistake on the town or State name.

South Wayne does fit with the German migration map of WI that I found on the net.

I am just trying to find a way to contact a WI historical society or group to find a way to get more information via the net or in person.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 10:56:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Monfort, WI was established on the site of an old fort.
Maybe there? A family name might help.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 12:04:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes, you are correct. I know that South Wayne, WI exist. The problem is that I am trying to figure out if the National Archives made a mistake on the town or State name.

South Wayne does fit with the German migration map of WI that I found on the net.

I am just trying to find a way to contact a WI historical society or group to find a way to get more information via the net or in person.
View Quote
Best bet would be here. https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks will ask them the questions that I am seeking.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 9:42:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The up of Michigan belonged to WI until it was given to MI after the kerfuffle they had with Ohio over toledo.
I think oh and WI got the short end of that stick
View Quote
Slow your roll, herring chockers are awesome .....
Top Top