Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2019 2:01:35 PM EDT
Hey guys,  I am trying to locate an old town or village that supposed to exists in the mid to late 19th century Wisconsin.  I'm doing a family tree project but I can't find any information of the place my great-grand parents was born in Wisconsin.  I'm trying to pick any brains to see where I can go next to research.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ghost_towns_in_Wisconsin
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ghost_towns_in_Wisconsin
View Quote
I tired that and it did not work. But thanks. The town or village was Fort something. I don't have my notes on hand. I will try think out side of the box on this one.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#3]
https://www.northamericanforts.com/East/wi.html
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#4]
What other clues do you have?
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you tried ancestory.com?
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 8:39:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What other clues do you have?
View Quote
County, township, ?..
Plat book might help
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 7:02:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

County, township, ?..
Plat book might help
View Quote
I would have to check the Plat book that may help.  The biggest problem I have is my Great-grand mother birthplace was listed Fort Wayne, WI and not Indiana.  No, county was given with the records found from the Nation Archives system.   That alone is giving me a huge headache for trying to locate any records about her. My cousin, whom I am helping with in the record locating had encountered a  lot of dead ends in her research.  Since, I have no information on the German family name and I am just going on the DNA results which broke down into a French/German bloodline. I am guessing the Rhineland/Aachen area as my best bet.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 1:00:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I tired that and it did not work. But thanks. The town or village was Fort something. I don't have my notes on hand. I will try think out side of the box on this one.
View Quote
Fort Atkinson?
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Did you try the American Forts Link I posted? Every fort ever in WI is in there.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 4:45:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Did you try the American Forts Link I posted? Every fort ever in WI is in there.
View Quote
I looked that the list in the Wisconsin section but no dice.  But I thought of something else when I just went deeper in the fort website and found a listing for a Fort Wayne in Michigan.  I am going to look at both angles now.  I just sent a message to the historical society of Wisconsin for help. But I doubt that they are going to help. I am just trying to find the family name so I can pinpoint the German region for the search.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Another thought  early on in the 1800s. It was the northwest territory,  territory of Wisconsin.  And it was way bigger, pre State..
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:07:43 PM EDT
[#12]
The up of Michigan belonged to WI until it was given to MI after the kerfuffle they had with Ohio over toledo.
I think oh and WI got the short end of that stick
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I am afraid you are really looking for a needle in the haystack. For example, there is a town named Utley here in Green Lake County.

Three stone foundations, a plaque and a small sign unseen from the road if you were not looking for it...

Link to news article

Best of luck

V
OUT
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Theres a South Wayne, WI in Lafayette Co in SW WI. Pop around 500.

But if you are sure theres a "Fort" in the name, theres only 2 that I know of in WI. Fort Atkinson (Jefferson Co) and Fort Winnebago (Columbia Co).

Used to be a Fort Crawford (Crawford Co) and a Fort Howard (Brown Co. Now part of the City of Green Bay).
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Theres a South Wayne, WI in Lafayette Co in SW WI. Pop around 500.

But if you are sure theres a "Fort" in the name, theres only 2 that I know of in WI. Fort Atkinson (Jefferson Co) and Fort Winnebago (Columbia Co).

Used to be a Fort Crawford (Crawford Co) and a Fort Howard (Brown Co. Now part of the City of Green Bay).
View Quote
Yes, you are correct. I know that South Wayne, WI exist. The problem is that I am trying to figure out if the National Archives made a mistake on the town or State name.

South Wayne does fit with the German migration map of WI that I found on the net.

I am just trying to find a way to contact a WI historical society or group to find a way to get more information via the net or in person.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 10:56:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Monfort, WI was established on the site of an old fort.
Maybe there? A family name might help.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 12:04:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes, you are correct. I know that South Wayne, WI exist. The problem is that I am trying to figure out if the National Archives made a mistake on the town or State name.

South Wayne does fit with the German migration map of WI that I found on the net.

I am just trying to find a way to contact a WI historical society or group to find a way to get more information via the net or in person.
View Quote
Best bet would be here. https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks will ask them the questions that I am seeking.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 9:42:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The up of Michigan belonged to WI until it was given to MI after the kerfuffle they had with Ohio over toledo.
I think oh and WI got the short end of that stick
View Quote
Slow your roll, herring chockers are awesome .....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top