Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2022 1:23:18 PM EDT
In the past two weeks I've tried reading the bill, have listened to a youtube gun lawyer, and have read as many forum discussions as I can, but it still hasn't cleared up my confusion.  To me it isn't saying I can't have my guns already made but that I can't build one from this point forward?  The part about prior to 2019 isn't clear to me either, how do I prove I bought and built my guns prior to 2019?  I never kept the financial records because that would have been risking my wife seeing how much I spent, that would be worse than the law coming after me.  So how does one prove the guns are legal and conversely how does the law prove the guns are illegal?  From the tension this has caused I'm guessing this is more than a paperwork exercise and the government has put some teeth into the law but I'm not seeing it.  I refuse to serialize my weapons so I am considering my options.  90% of my weapons were built prior to 2019, so I'm still going to have to take a trip to Montana to store those that were built later, pain in the arse. The same gun lawyer on youtube had a video that discussed AR pistols and that the ATF is coming for those too, in that case storing guns in Montana does me no good.  Anyone have a clear concise understanding how this new law impacts the law abiding?  I even have read things that seem to say uppers are getting caught up in the net, so that's more confusing.  Sorry for the ignorance, this caught me by surprise, I hadn't thought to read anything or keep a finger on the pulse of things and it seems overnight things went to shite leaving me and I'm sure many others holding the bag.  If that's the intent of our legislators that's effed up.  I don't watch local news and all like-minded friends and neighbors have moved out of state, so I found out after the fact, by accident because I had a bad trigger and needed advice.

So, are ghost guns illegal?   Am I dense or is it clear about this 2019 deadline? Are uppers with a bcg now considered guns?  And are AR pistols getting classified as SBRs?
Thanks for any clarification.  We're planning on moving next year, but the effective date of March is about two months shy of what I need.  The same thing happened in New York, they outlawed magazines and that prompted me to move here.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 1:14:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Why are you even bothering attempting to comply? None of this stuff is enforceable. Your firearms you made prior to the 2019 cutoff are completely legal until they pass a future law stating otherwise and your magazines are all grandfathered.

The ATF coming for pistol braces is separate from WA, they have been trying since a bit before Biden got in to recategorize braces as stocks.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 8:35:21 PM EDT
[#2]
The above is correct.  

Legally prosecutors have to prove you are in violation.  It is not a requirement for you to prove that you are legal.  And the legislature themselves do not get to change that either.  All any defense lawyer has to do is admit evidence showing a large amount of them are totally legal, and it is impossible to tell which is which, and the case is done.  You could do that on the very first prosecution witness on cross examination, should any case even go that far.  

I seriously doubt any agency is going to be trying to enforce this when each and every person could sue them for false arrest just by showing a receipt later.  It is poorly written, and poorly written laws hang agencies out to dry, so they are not enforced.  Either that or they can be money makers for the citizens, for a while, until the agency makes new policy.  (See filming police).

Most smart cops know multiple laws that are on the books, but better not be enforced, because they would get hosed doing it.  

Sometimes you have to be thankful that our enemies are semi incompetent.

I have dealt with similar stuff from county and city level laws in OR regarding “assault weapons”/etc.  The laws are near worthless, thankfully.  The DA said not to use them, they didn’t want case law made that would cause them to be wiped off the books...
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 9:29:47 PM EDT
[#3]
What a pain in the ass this all is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top