User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 12:19:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There shouldn't be a bill.....but there also shouldn't be carve outs in gun ban bills.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
102ND GENERAL ASSEMBLY
State of Illinois
2021 and 2022
HB5522

The synopsis of the bill above isn't the current bill being considered.  The new bill is HB5855 just introduced by Bob Morgan.  There are no carve outs for retired LEO in the new crap bill.

There shouldn't be a bill.....but there also shouldn't be carve outs in gun ban bills.

While I agree with both, the lack of carve out might motivate enuf LE to remove their asshat long enough to stop this nonsense.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 12:03:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Bump because this got lost in the noise of the AWB.

Nolo, how is this proceeding and do you feel that the AWB that was passed impacts your case in any way?

@NoloContendere
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

And then register it...and then have no regular mags for it. That is what is going to happen after the ban.
View Quote

Don't you think you are making a shitton of assumptions there?

There will be no ban.

ETA: and then I realized that I was responding to a 1.5 month old comment.... but the point stands
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 3:21:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Hollow victory to have a suppressor and not be allowed a threaded barrel to attach it to.

Quoted:
Yo dude, we can’t have those things here because the City of Chicago NEEDS Shotspotter! Didn’t you know this? Those people have families to feed! I mean, it works so well that Chicago prosecutors would never ask the company to modify shot spotter data to justify police actions, including the shootings of black men! Think of their children!
View Quote

Already been proven that shotspotter works with suppressed firearms.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hollow victory to have a suppressor and not be allowed a threaded barrel to attach it to.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Yo dude, we can’t have those things here because the City of Chicago NEEDS Shotspotter! Didn’t you know this? Those people have families to feed! I mean, it works so well that Chicago prosecutors would never ask the company to modify shot spotter data to justify police actions, including the shootings of black men! Think of their children!

I don't believe threaded barrels were a qualifier for rifles to be considered "assault weapons", just pistols and there are still some neat rifles we can get as-is that would benefit from suppressors and I think you could theoretically have a qd, suppressor compatible brake pinned and welded on a pistol barrel and be gtg as well.

That said, I don't believe the ban will stand either, so this would be more relevant at that point.

Either way we have a dozen awb threads so I didn't want Nolo's important work lost in the weeds.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 11:54:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Nolo, how is this proceeding and do you feel that the AWB that was passed impacts your case in any way?

@NoloContendere
View All Quotes
Quoted:

@NoloContendere
Here is the courtlistener docket. You can view the filings etc here.
https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/65966885/morse-v-raoul/

Since the OP here, an amended complaint was filed on 12/8/2022. After that mainly just the state asking for deadline extensions. This past Friday 1/20/2023 was one of those deadlines for the states response.There were a few interesting filings by the state. A partial answer to the complaint and a motion to strike paragraphs from the complaint by the AG. Jefferson County SA asked for an extension and their new deadline is 2/3/2023. After that the joint report of parties is due 2/7/2023 and the scheduling conference is 2/14/2023. All of this info and more is available on the docket above. I recommend anyone interested take a look.

Quoted:

I don't believe threaded barrels were a qualifier for rifles to be considered "assault weapons", just pistols and there are still some neat rifles we can get as-is that would benefit from suppressors and I think you could theoretically have a qd, suppressor compatible brake pinned and welded on a pistol barrel and be gtg as well.

That said, I don't believe the ban will stand either, so this would be more relevant at that point.

Either way we have a dozen awb threads so I didn't want Nolo's important work lost in the weeds.
Thank you for bumping. I agree wholeheartedly.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 10:26:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

thanks for updating :)

the funniest part of this case is that the state attorneys do NOT want to defend the law and do NOT want the AG defending them. lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here is the courtlistener docket. You can view the filings etc here.
https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/65966885/morse-v-raoul/

Since the OP here, an amended complaint was filed on 12/8/2022. After that mainly just the state asking for deadline extensions. This past Friday 1/20/2023 was one of those deadlines for the states response.There were a few interesting filings by the state. A partial answer to the complaint and a motion to strike paragraphs from the complaint by the AG. Jefferson County SA asked for an extension and their new deadline is 2/3/2023. After that the joint report of parties is due 2/7/2023 and the scheduling conference is 2/14/2023. All of this info and more is available on the docket above. I recommend anyone interested take a look.

Thank you for bumping. I agree wholeheartedly.

thanks for updating :)

the funniest part of this case is that the state attorneys do NOT want to defend the law and do NOT want the AG defending them. lol

It would be awesome if you can get this done, hopefully about the same time the new AWB gets crushed.  My credit card might literally catch on fire.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 10:56:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Welcome to Southern IL, with a capital Southern lol. They don't like Chicago rule either.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 3:51:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It would be awesome if you can get this done, hopefully about the same time the new AWB gets crushed.  My credit card might literally catch on fire.
View Quote

Just out of curiosity, why are you guys so confident the AWB will get nullified?

I'm guessing just the "Bruen test"?
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I love you, no homo. Well, ok. Maybe just a little bit of homo. Fine, full blown penetration. But NO KISSING! That would be gay.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 3:21:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I love you, no homo. Well, ok. Maybe just a little bit of homo. Fine, full blown penetration. But NO KISSING! That would be gay.
View Quote

You can kiss. Just no eye contact.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 7:32:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Just out of curiosity, why are you guys so confident the AWB will get nullified?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 8:06:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/403935/Screenshot_20230126-173124_Chrome_jpg-2686418.JPG

Bob is that you?

If there was ever a case of “join date, first post” that would be it. Enemy in the line fellas!
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 2:19:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bruen is just the latest and most blatant win we have had in a very long series of wins.

The last time the enemy had a win was 1994. Everything since has been a holding action in the deep blue or attempts at regulatory fuckery. Even when things seem like every one of the enemy's ducks are in a row they still trip over their own feet trying.

We haven't just "won" the culture war side of the 2A debate. We have achieved absolute dominance to a degree unimaginable to someone in the 70s or 80s.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:11:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Agreed...we are in the best place we have ever been to react to this gun law crap.  Unfortunately, we have to react to the evil democrats that keep passing these "laws".
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 2:25:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Bruen is just the latest and most blatant win we have had in a very long series of wins.

The last time the enemy had a win was 1994. Everything since has been a holding action in the deep blue or attempts at regulatory fuckery. Even when things seem like every one of the enemy's ducks are in a row they still trip over their own feet trying.

We haven't just "won" the culture war side of the 2A debate. We have achieved absolute dominance to a degree unimaginable to someone in the 70s or 80s.
View Quote

Where do I subscribe to your newsletter?
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 8:54:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Acknowledged.

Now ... imagine that we had a list of all state reps / senators (public info) from every state in a spreadsheet which is publicly available. Imagine that we had someone in each state who monitors that state's legislative activity. Imagine that when a specific piece of legislation reached the important point in its lifecycle (varies by state ?) then a notice went out to the ~400k ARF members, X GOA members, etx. Imagine 500k emails to every member of a state government for a bad piece of 2A legislation.
View Quote
Having been involved in the gun rights fight for decades, I'll just say....not a chance.

You'll be hard pressed to find a more complacent group of people than the average gunowner. This is ESPECIALLY true of people who have "had guns all their lives." Most of these people (and there are a LOT of these) don't see it as a right....they see it as an ENTITLEMENT. By simply possessing a firearm, an overwhelming number of them feel they are skilled in its use, good and virtuous sheepdogs who keep us all safe, a serious threat to government tyranny, and untouchable by the political process due to the 2A.

I gave up on trying to influence these people long ago. Reality shatters their illusions, and they have little interest in participating, until those fantasies cause their ego to write a check their ass has to cash. At that point, they become indignant about all the things everyone else was supposed to do about it.

I would venture to guess that the greatest opportunity here comes from people who are new to guns and shooting. For most of them, it's a conscious choice. It isn't something they inherited; it's something they chose. In choosing that, they often look to others to teach and educate them. That can go really well, or that can become a shitshow when they run into the entitled crowd and the idiot behind the gun store counter. That second path is how women who want to protect themselves end up at a CCW class with a subcompact 9mm or a J frame .357 lightweight in a pretty color that they can't stand to shoot, or a Shield EZ.

Politicians are going to say and do what they need to say and do to get what they want. If you want to influence them, you have to support them when they support you, and produce consequences for them when they do the opposite. The various legislative lobbying entities for gun rights have been profoundly ineffective at that in Illinois (and nationally, but that's a different story). We had some wins when Todd Vandermyde was doing it (and soon, we'll have more wins, with him as part of it, in the courts, I suspect), but let's face it...we're not going to advance a gun rights agenda in the Illinois legislature in our lifetime.

The courts are our best avenue to move forward. I'm really glad to see @NoloContendre advancing this effort here.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 8:57:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Welcome to Southern IL, with a capital Southern lol. They don't like Chicago rule either.
View Quote
And then they vote for Democrats, and get exactly that....juuust sayin....
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 12:00:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Having been involved in the gun rights fight for decades, I'll just say....not a chance.

You'll be hard pressed to find a more complacent group of people than the average gunowner. This is ESPECIALLY true of people who have "had guns all their lives." Most of these people (and there are a LOT of these) don't see it as a right....they see it as an ENTITLEMENT. By simply possessing a firearm, an overwhelming number of them feel they are skilled in its use, good and virtuous sheepdogs who keep us all safe, a serious threat to government tyranny, and untouchable by the political process due to the 2A.

I gave up on trying to influence these people long ago. Reality shatters their illusions, and they have little interest in participating, until those fantasies cause their ego to write a check their ass has to cash. At that point, they become indignant about all the things everyone else was supposed to do about it.

I would venture to guess that the greatest opportunity here comes from people who are new to guns and shooting. For most of them, it's a conscious choice. It isn't something they inherited; it's something they chose. In choosing that, they often look to others to teach and educate them. That can go really well, or that can become a shitshow when they run into the entitled crowd and the idiot behind the gun store counter. That second path is how women who want to protect themselves end up at a CCW class with a subcompact 9mm or a J frame .357 lightweight in a pretty color that they can't stand to shoot, or a Shield EZ.

Politicians are going to say and do what they need to say and do to get what they want. If you want to influence them, you have to support them when they support you, and produce consequences for them when they do the opposite. The various legislative lobbying entities for gun rights have been profoundly ineffective at that in Illinois (and nationally, but that's a different story). We had some wins when Todd Vandermyde was doing it (and soon, we'll have more wins, with him as part of it, in the courts, I suspect), but let's face it...we're not going to advance a gun rights agenda in the Illinois legislature in our lifetime.

The courts are our best avenue to move forward. I'm really glad to see @NoloContendre advancing this effort here.
View Quote

I will acknowledge that everything you wrote is either unequivocally true or true in 'pockets' of the broader 2A community.

However, I think we can agree that labeling "these people" as "complacent" while also advocating to do nothing to change what we don't like is ironic at best and hypocritical at worst.

My offer was made knowing the wasted effort I committed to spend. You know those 'giant spam email campaigns' that go to millions of people (DMA a.k.a. Digital Marketing Automation)? I know how to do that. I just need the email addresses of all the recipients (legislators) which is publicly available info. In fact, list companies compile/sell these - I just don't have budget right now to buy this. I do have the ability to do everything else to send messages. I also created a 'system' for any individual to send similar messages. This is not some pyramid scheme; in fact, the 'system' I created requires anonymity on the part of the email sender so no one knows who did or did not participate except her/him and each legislator. But honestly, even if I had Musk money, I want someone else to provide email addresses so I know I am not alone in this effort.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 3:27:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Where do I subscribe to your newsletter?
View Quote

Jokes aside, and it isn't my newsletter (though I have written a guest post before), but a friend owns a blog which has a running theme of beating up on blackpill talking points and the all too common situation of conservatives drinking leftist kool-aid about how the world works.

Accorting to Hoyt
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I will acknowledge that everything you wrote is either unequivocally true or true in 'pockets' of the broader 2A community.

However, I think we can agree that labeling "these people" as "complacent" while also advocating to do nothing to change what we don't like is ironic at best and hypocritical at worst.

My offer was made knowing the wasted effort I committed to spend. You know those 'giant spam email campaigns' that go to millions of people (DMA a.k.a. Digital Marketing Automation)? I know how to do that. I just need the email addresses of all the recipients (legislators) which is publicly available info. In fact, list companies compile/sell these - I just don't have budget right now to buy this. I do have the ability to do everything else to send messages. I also created a 'system' for any individual to send similar messages. This is not some pyramid scheme; in fact, the 'system' I created requires anonymity on the part of the email sender so no one knows who did or did not participate except her/him and each legislator. But honestly, even if I had Musk money, I want someone else to provide email addresses so I know I am not alone in this effort.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The sad fact is that for most of the land mass of the state complacency has nothing to do with it anymore. The voice of conservatives (gun owners or otherwise) has been removed and cannot and will not change elections which is why the full court press now, they have absolutely no fear of not being re-elected no matter how batshit leftist crazy they go. This was not always true, I can clearly remember even within the last 5 years things like witness slips having an impact because enough of them weren't guaranteed re-election that they had to listen, but after what they got away with after the last census even that is out the window.

Either you are like me, living in a conservative voting district in rural Illinois which means your vote is effectively wasted to on a representative that will get 70% of the vote already or you are living in one of the gerrymandered liberal districts that they made sure to snake around and pull in as many rural conservatives as possible but also enough liberal votes from the cities to always give them a 10 point advantage or you live in and around Cook and are even more marginalized. You can call, write and sign as many things as you want but they do not care, they have made absolutely sure their jobs are effectively mathematically never going to be in danger.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 12:21:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Bump again. It looks like this got pushed back while some of the AWB stuff is sorted out.

Supreme Court Decision Prevents Suppressor Purchase & Possession Bans!!! Judge Stalls!
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Bump again. It looks like this got pushed back while some of the AWB stuff is sorted out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZjMR-7V5Uo
View Quote

Thx for the update @icechimp
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 4:13:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My case is not stayed. The other case was stayed but not mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh interesting, I wasn't even aware there were two with all that has been going on.

Eta: Nolo's case is called Morse V. Raoul for anyone keeping score, the one I linked a video about is Anderson V Raoul.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Oh interesting, I wasn't even aware there were two with all that has been going on.

Eta: Nolo's case is called Morse V. Raoul for anyone keeping score, the one I linked a video about is Anderson V Raoul.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a bad day to be Raoul
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 11:27:32 PM EDT
[#28]
@nolocontendere - did something happen to revive this effort?
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:47:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm reminded of school desgregation from the 1970s, or various and sundry kinds of "consent decrees", which resulted in federal court oversight of state legislative and executive government actions. States or localities had to have their actions pre-approved before they could take effect, because of the egregiousness of past behavior. The precedent is already there for a civil right, it's past time for that to be imposed on states like Illinois with a long history of infringing on a civil right with a matching long history of losing in the federal courts. But it takes years if not decades for the court processes to play out, in the meantime the citizenry suffers irreparable harms.

Illinois and New York have passed intrusive and restrictive legislation in direct defiance of court decisions against them. They need to be stopped from doing that again and again. New Jersey and some others are little better. I'm not sure how to go about making this kind of judicial argument, but I think it should be pursued. At a practical level, the political left is waging a color revolution against SCOTUS and the federal courts, they have got to recognize this and flex some power to blunt what's happening or the federal courts are going to become powerless against anarchist activism.

Dems in Illinois are already talking about next year's ridiculous gun control bill, that they'll pass after this years AW ban gets overturned. If this action for suppressors were to result in freedom for Illinois residents, they'll just nullify that with next years bill. There's gotta be a way to stop the madness. Long suffering Illinois residents have a hard time hearing about these things due to the hearing damage they're forced to endure.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 4:16:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:20:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I don’t understand your question. What do you mean revive?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@nolocontendere - did something happen to revive this effort?

I don’t understand your question. What do you mean revive?

Sorry @nolocontendere - you're a busy guy (gal?) and shouldn't have to ask me to ask my question more clearly.

TLDR: I wonder if a recent SCOTUS action would move your case forward

Someone shared this video with me and the title indicates that SCOTUS ruled against a state suppressor ban. I'm unclear what this guy actually explained in the video or even if it is legit. I thought that your case is 'stalled' (oppose to actually stayed) and I wonder if this means your case will move forward. I just re-read this thread and apparently your case is unaffected by any state or federal court activity outside the case itself?
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 12:33:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That is a sister case, but not mine. There is no reason to revive mine, it is actively being litigated. The case he is discussing was stayed pending other litigation, Morse (the case I’m litigating) is not stayed.

And I’m a dude.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry @nolocontendere - you're a busy guy (gal?) and shouldn't have to ask me to ask my question more clearly.

TLDR: I wonder if a recent SCOTUS action would move your case forward

Someone shared this video with me and the title indicates that SCOTUS ruled against a state suppressor ban. I'm unclear what this guy actually explained in the video or even if it is legit. I thought that your case is 'stalled' (oppose to actually stayed) and I wonder if this means your case will move forward. I just re-read this thread and apparently your case is unaffected by any state or federal court activity outside the case itself?

That is a sister case, but not mine. There is no reason to revive mine, it is actively being litigated. The case he is discussing was stayed pending other litigation, Morse (the case I’m litigating) is not stayed.

And I’m a dude.

??
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

There will be no ban.

ETA: and then I realized that I was responding to a 1.5 month old comment.... but the point stands
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And then register it...and then have no regular mags for it. That is what is going to happen after the ban.

There will be no ban.

Some post just don't age very well.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top