Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2018 3:07:21 PM EDT
My wife has decided that she wants to come along on a couple of duck hunts this year. She will not be shooting or carry a gun at all. She will mostly just tag along a couple of times and maybe take some pictures. This will be on WMA land most likely. Will she need full licenses and stamps, or just the WMA permit? Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#1]
You may want to call MDWFP on that one. WMA's have their own rules.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#2]
If she's not carrying a firearm at any point, afaik she wouldn't need a license, just a wma use permit.

*NOT affiliated with mdwfp or a lawyer. Proceed at your own risk
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#3]
My understanding is that she may not call ducks, retrieve ducks, or be in possession of a firearm at any time to be considered "not hunting". She still probably needs a WMA permit. I do not work for MDWFP so my advice is worth what you pay for it
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#4]
To keep from getting hassled by the man, she should probably get everything. The technical nomenclature is "participate in the hunt", thus technically if she handles a decoy, paddles, points out a duck, helps the dog, etc. she would be "participating in the hunt" thus she would need all the license and stamps to be 100% legal. Being that it's a WMA you'll really get a raised eyebrow if you get checked with a just taking pictures story. So, you know, you may encounter a hard azz greenjeans or a rookie trying to earn his bones. I would spend the coin on the gubment paper 'cause I don't like hassles.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#5]
To caveat off my original post, I would say go ahead and get everything just to be safe. I'd rather spend the 40 or so bucks for her to have everything license/stamp wise to be safe, rather than spend a day pleading the case in court.

Rookie warden vs salty dog is a tossup
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top