User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 5:10:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If your roof is 45 degrees (6/12 pitch...means it rises 6" every 12") then you're in luck. That's the perfect setup for using an Avalanche tool. I can't use mine on my house, but my pole barn is a 5/12 metal, and it works great on it. I also bought the 2 piece handle extension kit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXrtHJScI9o

You're way ahead of the game now. I was here 27 years before I got all 3 (didn't have the ATV/UTV w/ plow until 3 years ago... had the plow truck and blower from day 1 )
View Quote

12/12 is a 45 degree pitch, 6/12 is 26.57 degrees.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 8:01:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 8:12:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

12/12 is a 45 degree pitch, 6/12 is 26.57 degrees.
View Quote

yep, I stand corrected on the 12/12.

But wouldn't a 6/12 then be 22.5 degrees? Or half of 45?

And Paul's 33 degrees a 9/12?

My protractor's out in the pole barn, on my table saw, and it's been 55 years since I had high school geometry so the formulas are a little fuzzy...

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:41:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My wife said she wants to see your 75' long tool.

View Quote

oops... you forgot the decimal point. That "tool" is .75'....

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 10:09:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

yep, I stand corrected on the 12/12.

But wouldn't a 6/12 then be 22.5 degrees? Or half of 45?

And Paul's 33 degrees a 9/12?

My protractor's out in the pole barn, on my table saw, and it's been 55 years since I had high school geometry so the formulas are a little fuzzy...

View Quote

I thought the same thing but I googled 6/12 roof pitch and that's what it came up with.  I'm assuming something gets wonky in the rise/run when it's worked out. I didn't feel like working the numbers my self so went with it.  Only reason I knew you were wrong is I have a 12/12 pitch house roof, and it is assuredly 45 degrees.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:23:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Found: Stray Dog

Anyone missing a dog? This poor thing is pretty skittish. I called and whistled for it and it just ran away. Seems to have some leg problems as I've never seen a dog have to hop around like this thing has to do. Seems well fed. No tags*/no collar.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/202/Oh_Deer-2065439.jpg

* yet
View Quote

Not mine, I checked. All 18 of mine are still out back, in my woods. Some of my "stray dogs" have these big pointy things on their heads. Some are really big pointy things.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 10:50:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 10:51:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 11:09:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 3:57:33 AM EDT
[#13]
OK so yeah.  I am up way past my bedtime reading UP/downstate Michigan threads.  My wife's from the Pontiac/Watertucky area that got claimed by the swanky and fashionable Clarkston area before her family minus 2 punched out for the Carolinas and Missery (MO).  I drank the water in Flint for a year.  Add that to my user title.  

Enough about me.

Mr. Paul.  Miss you from the Live PD threads.  It's great to see you landed somewhere you love.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 8:55:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've hooked up with Wildlife Unlimited to put a kid into the blind overlooking my meadow and pond this fall.

If I had kids I'd want the same opportunity.

View Quote

You're a good man, Paul.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 10:27:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Just saw this on Mlive, you might not want to dress your kids in a Bunny costume for Halloween this year;

https://www.mlive.com/news/2021/10/dnr-confirms-cougar-sighting-in-upper-peninsula-10th-so-far-in-2021.html
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just saw this on Mlive, you might not want to dress your kids in a Bunny costume for Halloween this year;

https://www.mlive.com/news/2021/10/dnr-confirms-cougar-sighting-in-upper-peninsula-10th-so-far-in-2021.html
View Quote

Not listed in the linked article are "unconfirmed" sightings from both Iron & Gogebic counties. To be a confirmed sighting takes photographic evidence or DNA evidence. Eyewitness testimony isn't enough for confirmation. I personally know numerous people who have seen one in Gogebic... some have seen them repeatedly. These are all people who live & work in the area and are either an experienced hunter, trapper, or forest service employee. There's no doubt there's more of them there than any 'wildlife officials' will concede to (at least on the record, publically ).  We also have them across the state line here in Vilas & Forest counties WI. I have my own trail camera photos of one, visiting one of my bear baits in 2018 in the Nicolet Nat'l Forest in Vilas.    
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You're a good man, Paul.  
View Quote

The boy was a disabled boy with eye-sight problems and a bit of retardation as his mentor told me before getting to meet him.

I got invited to the lunch afterwards as a landowner along with all the mentors and kids.

The group put the boy in my yard because my yard always produces several deer a year. They were about 250 yards from my house and right a sunrise there was a shot we heard from about a mile away with another hunter/mentor team on another property. My shooter waited another 10-minutes for his buck. When all the boys and girls lined up for their group photos with their harvest that boy was beaming ear-to-ear. He was equal to the rest of the boys he grew up with at something important. I got to talk with both the mentor and boy for an hour or so over lunch.

The week after the youth hunt my dog was going nuts on her 10 PM walk ... the breeze coming around the corner from the front yard, OK, grab the flash light and wow, someone mounted "cats eyes" all along the entire length of my +500 foot long drive. Wait. Those are deer's eyes! I got to 30 deer before they scampered off. There were some huge bucks in that herd.

I've told the group that they're always welcome to harvest one deer off my property and if needed, a second one. The best way to keep the hunting tradition alive is to normalize it and get kids involved at a young age safely hunting.

Michigan is so f'ing amazing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 10:24:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I took a voluntary 6-month time out and I no longer work for the board as a staff member.

I'm OK with posting here now in the capacity as a supporting and enthusiastic supporter.

If more people read my shit knowing that when I'm just shit posting I'm smiling and joking often trying to get a point across in a clever humorous way. I was raised on classic television from a previous era and yeah, there are things that were 100% acceptable on television, in my church, in courthouses, any-fucking where back 50-years ago that would get you pilloried here today. Comedians play the edge for a living and the better ones are masters at it. But cold reading a post here can be fucked up seven-ways to Sunday and we've all seen evidence of that here.  

I've had that back-of-the-head hair-on-edge feeling while posting here for a couple of years now. The mojo is different here now. Not to say good or bad difference (don't ban me bro') just different.

#FuckFacebook and #FuckGoDaddy
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The boy was a disabled boy with eye-sight problems and a bit of retardation as his mentor told me before getting to meet him.

I got invited to the lunch afterwards as a landowner along with all the mentors and kids.

The group put the boy in my yard because my yard always produces several deer a year. They were about 250 yards from my house and right a sunrise there was a shot we heard from about a mile away with another hunter/mentor team on another property. My shooter waited another 10-minutes for his buck. When all the boys and girls lined up for their group photos with their harvest that boy was beaming ear-to-ear. He was equal to the rest of the boys he grew up with at something important. I got to talk with both the mentor and boy for an hour or so over lunch.

The week after the youth hunt my dog was going nuts on her 10 PM walk ... the breeze coming around the corner from the front yard, OK, grab the flash light and wow, someone mounted "cats eyes" all along the entire length of my +500 foot long drive. Wait. Those are deer's eyes! I got to 30 deer before they scampered off. There were some huge bucks in that herd.

I've told the group that they're always welcome to harvest one deer off my property and if needed, a second one. The best way to keep the hunting tradition alive is to normalize it and get kids involved at a young age safely hunting.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're a good man, Paul.  

I'll say it again, "You're a good man, Paul."  
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 9:36:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I took a voluntary 6-month time out and I no longer work for the board as a staff member.

I'm OK with posting here now in the capacity as a supporting and enthusiastic supporter.

If more people read my shit knowing that when I'm just shit posting I'm smiling and joking often trying to get a point across in a clever humorous way. I was raised on classic television from a previous era and yeah, there are things that were 100% acceptable on television, in my church, in courthouses, any-fucking where back 50-years ago that would get you pilloried here today. Comedians play the edge for a living and the better ones are masters at it. But cold reading a post here can be fucked up seven-ways to Sunday and we've all seen evidence of that here.  

I've had that back-of-the-head hair-on-edge feeling while posting here for a couple of years now. The mojo is different here now. Not to say good or bad difference (don't ban me bro') just different.

#FuckFacebook and #FuckGoDaddy
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 11:44:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Glad you’re in our state and good for you helping out somebody for hunting season. Probably a memory that will never be forgotten.

I’d love to move up there in a couple years after retirement but the wife won’t move away from kids and family. Need to figure out how to get them fighting!
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I’d love to move up there in a couple years after retirement but the wife won’t move away from kids and family. Need to figure out how to get them fighting!
View Quote

Buy a house on a lake, with a couple of extra bedrooms with bunk beds, a fishing boat, a couple of jet skis and/or snowmobiles, and you'll likely see more of those kids & family than you do now. You'll be glad when they go home.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:38:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:Buy a house on a lake, with a couple of extra bedrooms with bunk beds, a fishing boat, a couple of jet skis and/or snowmobiles, and you'll likely see more of those kids & family than you do now. You'll be glad when they go home.
View Quote

One of my neighbors bought 10-acres of land for less than $1000 an acre and he parks a mid-size RV trailer on the property. Another has a pair of (very) old single-wides that's functional enough to serve as a hunting camp for his family and hunting dogs. The best part of UP property isn't necessary the buildings.

Link Posted: 2/19/2022 9:52:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

One of my neighbors bought 10-acres of land for less than $1000 an acre and he parks a mid-size RV trailer on the property. Another has a pair of (very) old single-wides that's functional enough to serve as a hunting camp for his family and hunting dogs. The best part of UP property isn't necessary the buildings.

View Quote

Heartily agree. My daughter bought 62 acres near Watersmeet, surrounded by Ottawa Nat'l Forest on 3 sides, paper company land on the 4th side, with a 2 bedroom cabin and 28X32 garage... for under $50K, in 2018. The catch? It's "off grid". No utilities. Therefore no plumbing/bathroom facilites. To get electricity in there, she'd have to pay for 2 miles of lines being run, including crossing the Ontonagon river. But, the cabin and garage are fully wired for generator use (she has a 7.5KW that runs on propane and a 500 gallon tank), and she does have a 6" drilled well (we installed a solar powered pump in 2020). No swampland either, all high wooded land. She lives 90 minutes away, up on the shore of Huron Bay north of L'Anse. Her 62 acres is my deer camp. I'm only 30 miles away.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Heartily agree. My daughter bought 62 acres near Watersmeet, surrounded by Ottawa Nat'l Forest on 3 sides, paper company land on the 4th side, with a 2 bedroom cabin and 28X32 garage... for under $50K, in 2018. The catch? It's "off grid". No utilities. Therefore no plumbing/bathroom facilites. To get electricity in there, she'd have to pay for 2 miles of lines being run, including crossing the Ontonagon river. But, the cabin and garage are fully wired for generator use (she has a 7.5KW that runs on propane and a 500 gallon tank), and she does have a 6" drilled well (we installed a solar powered pump in 2020). No swampland either, all high wooded land. She lives 90 minutes away, up on the shore of Huron Bay north of L'Anse. Her 62 acres is my deer camp. I'm only 30 miles away.
View Quote

Sounds like a wonderful place to retire upon.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 8:58:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not listed in the linked article are "unconfirmed" sightings from both Iron & Gogebic counties. To be a confirmed sighting takes photographic evidence or DNA evidence. Eyewitness testimony isn't enough for confirmation. I personally know numerous people who have seen one in Gogebic... some have seen them repeatedly. These are all people who live & work in the area and are either an experienced hunter, trapper, or forest service employee. There's no doubt there's more of them there than any 'wildlife officials' will concede to (at least on the record, publically ).  We also have them across the state line here in Vilas & Forest counties WI. I have my own trail camera photos of one, visiting one of my bear baits in 2018 in the Nicolet Nat'l Forest in Vilas.    
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm at the east end of the UP.  Saw my first big cat 22 years ago.  The DEQ was adamant at that time [jedimindwave] there are no cougars in Michigan.  Some say they were never eradicated, just learned to stay a little further back in the cedar swamps for several decades.

Paul, Thanks for sharing the story of the youngster and his deer.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 11:03:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm at the east end of the UP.  Saw my first big cat 22 years ago.  The DEQ was adamant at that time [jedimindwave] there are no cougars in Michigan.  Some say they were never eradicated, just learned to stay a little further back in the cedar swamps for several decades.

Paul, Thanks for sharing the story of the youngster and his deer.
View Quote

IIRC the dnr didn't want to confirm because then they have to spend money on management plans and personnel. Budget is usually pretty tight so they didn't want to have to take money from one program to start up another.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

IIRC the dnr didn't want to confirm because then they have to spend money on management plans and personnel. Budget is usually pretty tight so they didn't want to have to take money from one program to start up another.
View Quote

Yes, that was the supposition at the time.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 7:14:59 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm rapidly approaching a year here in Michigan.

I think we'll stay.

As I sit here drinking my morning coffee a tom turkey is displaying himself out on the lawn, the female eating nearby seems unimpressed. Last night the pond's frogs came out of hibernation and started singing their love songs. There's at least one mother duck with a string of ducklings on the pond. We're giving her a bit of space until the grasses get thicker. There's a herd of 11 deer that come though a few times a day. The bald eagles and Coopers hawks hunt the robbins, red wing blackbirds, and the other song birds. The last few snow banks survive in the shade.

I've met a few dozen people and they've all be fine Americans.

The Biden economy is causing lots of pain up here where people were already poor and struggling.

I'm glad to have moved here and happy that the locals are at least putting up with me.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 7:32:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm rapidly approaching a year here in Michigan.

I think we'll stay.

As I sit here drinking my morning coffee a tom turkey is displaying himself out on the lawn, the female eating nearby seems unimpressed. Last night the pond's frogs came out of hibernation and started singing their love songs. There's at least one mother duck with a string of ducklings on the pond. We're giving her a bit of space until the grasses get thicker. There's a herd of 11 deer that come though a few times a day. The bald eagles and Coopers hawks hunt the robbins, red wing blackbirds, and the other song birds. The last few snow banks survive in the shade.

I've met a few dozen people and they've all be fine Americans.

The Biden economy is causing lots of pain up here where people were already poor and struggling.

I'm glad to have moved here and happy that the locals are at least putting up with me.
View Quote

And turkey season in the Yoop opened saturday, and I have a tag good for the whole U.P., until May 31st.

But first things first... my Wisconsin tag is good starting this wednesday, for a week. Then I'll head up to the daughter's land west of Watersmeet, or maybe up to her house north of L'Anse. She's had a HUGE Tom parading around up there all weekend.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#31]

This is the little guy with just two hens following him. The big guy had nine hens.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:21:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/202/4237D4B8-C6FE-4A16-BA74-3D9183BAA76D_1_2-2370008.jpg

This is the little guy with just two hens following him. The big guy had nine hens.
View Quote

What a pimp
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/202/4237D4B8-C6FE-4A16-BA74-3D9183BAA76D_1_2-2370008.jpg

View Quote

So that's where all the womenz is! My daughter saw a group of 6 toms last week, without a single hen.

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top