Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2021 11:25:47 AM EDT
I have mentioned before that my mom passed away back in June.  We have her house sold and closing at the end of the month.

We have most of a house full of furniture that we are trying to sell or otherwise get rid of.  I have adds on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace and Let Go, but I'm getting very little response.  I have tried calling furniture banks and other donation organizations, but they either won't return calls, can't come out to pick it up for weeks or don't have space for it.

Any other ideas for moving this stuff out?  Storing it is not a long-term solution due to cost.  Not trying to get a bunch of money for it (though it IS all very nice stuff), but it also seems insane to take it to the dump.

Thoughts?

Rob
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a 40 yard dumpster and let it go. When we sold our house, we did that and got rid of all the big stuff.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 12:48:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Might be worth looking into someone who specializes in estate sales.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 2:16:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Advertise it for free.

Have a bonfire.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 9:01:19 PM EDT
[#4]
How about donating it and getting a tax deduction?
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#5]
You could....

Post links to the ads so we can see them - who knows maybe there's something someone in here (or their spouse) wants.

You could post the pictures and prices in here.

You could advertise a moving sale or estate sale- open the front door and let 'em in.

Do you have the ability to deliver? If so, post that in your ad ($5 delivery!) because craigslist spans a big area, and someone in Seattle with money and a Prius can't come get the stuff.  If you have a pickup and some help- you could deliver it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 3:45:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Do an estate sale. If your mom belonged to a church, offer a presale to church members in an email or their newsletter. Worked really well for us.

When we sold mom's house in 2018, the furniture was the hardest thing to get rid of. Give it away if you have to.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry for leaving this post "abandoned" for a while.

Yes, I did ads at all of the normal places.  Got some response and sold the less expensive and smaller items pretty easily (for little $).  The big ticket furniture just brought very little interest.  Furniture donation companies were weeks and weeks out for pick up and were also picky about what they would take.  Same for estate sales and they take a cut of a very low sale price on every item and lot.  Finally did find a local (Olympia) antiques and second hand furniture store (Treasure Chest) to make an offer and come get the bedroom, dining and family room furniture for a modest sales price.  Very nice folks.

The house closes today and has been emptied (finally).  Selling a dead parent's home and furnishings sucks and I don't recommend it.

Rob
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:42:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Depending on where you live, just take stuff you can’t sell to bum camps.

You don’t have to pay to dump it at the dump.

You’re donating to charity, so take the tax write off.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 11:21:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Do yard sales on the weekends.    Just understand you wont get much for used furniture even if it's in really good shape.       Odds are most of it will be heading to the dump.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#10]
late to the game.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top