Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 22
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Has anyone applied for an FFL03 to be held by an LLC?

ATF Confirms that an LLC can hold an FFL03 as long FL03 can be justified for a legitimate business use.

I make holsters and am a firearms instructor.

I think I could justify needing an FFL03 for those 2 activities; then use the LLC to register an SBR...
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 12:05:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shyyyster] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bobapunk:

ATF Confirms that an LLC can hold an FFL03 as long FL03 can be justified for a legitimate business use.

View Quote

Citation needed

on a side note...

just got back from the dupage sheriffs office and they confirmed im the first person to attempt this. (no pressure) they said they need to make sure everyones ducks are in a row. i included a letter with the UUW SBR exception this time along with my forms. hopefully i will hear from them soon

i called the NFA branch and they asked me for the branch number at the bottom of my error letter and they transferred me to a girl named Ashley. she was extremely helpful and told me an extension from my 30 days would not be a problem. i just have to call them and keep them up to date.

blahhhhh
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 3:43:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By Shyyyster:

Citation needed

on a side note...

just got back from the dupage sheriffs office and they confirmed im the first person to attempt this. (no pressure) they said they need to make sure everyones ducks are in a row. i included a letter with the UUW SBR exception this time along with my forms. hopefully i will hear from them soon

i called the NFA branch and they asked me for the branch number at the bottom of my error letter and they transferred me to a girl named Ashley. she was extremely helpful and told me an extension from my 30 days would not be a problem. i just have to call them and keep them up to date.

blahhhhh
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Citation needed

on a side note...

blahhhhh

Call the ATF Licencing at 304-616-4600 and ask them in an LLC can be the licencee with an FFL03.

Then, Can the ATF NFA office at 304-616-4500 and ask them in an SBR can be made by an LLC.

I was give "yes" answers to both.

Now, the question is, is it "worth it" to setup and LLC $500+ and $250/year if the sole purpose is to make SBRs without needing prints and CLEO sign off...
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Call the ATF Licencing at 304-616-4600 and ask them in an LLC can be the licencee with an FFL03.
Then, Can the ATF NFA office at 304-616-4500 and ask them in an SBR can be made by an LLC.

Now, the question is, is it "worth it" to setup and LLC $500+ and $250/year if the sole purpose is to make SBRs without needing prints and CLEO sign off...
View All Quotes

Citation needed

on a side note...

blahhhhh

If we could do cans here, I'd almost say it'd be worth it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#5]

exactly a week after I sent them my new individual application, my SBR is approved and stamp will be in the mail shortly!

Chief of Police in my town also told me I was the first one to request the signature, but had no problems to sign it after he called NFA and read the IL statute

Link Posted: 1/30/2014 12:25:18 AM EDT
[#6]
So the way I read all this is....no trust for SBR? correct
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 7:16:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By KINGAIRFLYER:
So the way I read all this is....no trust for SBR? correct
View Quote

Correct
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 8:20:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Anybody have luck with SBR in Kendall Co?
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 2:19:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Any weapon that you sbr still has to be minimum of 26" in length? This is what the ATF sent me back on my application,  how can you sbr a Kris's or ps90 they both come in under 26". I thought that was only for the re-enact or portion.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 10:17:03 AM EDT
[#10]
The way that NFA branch is reading the exception right now is that that 26" OAL applies to both C&R holders AND reenactors. Until someone gets an official clarification from the AG or ISP, the NFA branch will not approve SBR's under 26" OAL. To SBR a Kriss or P90 you would need to use a barrel that gets the OAL to 26". It will cost more money, but you could have a full length barrel down to get under 16" but keep the OAL at 26" and if the law is clarified, you can get it cut to the desired length later. I don't know if you can keep PS90's or Kriss's at 26" OAL with a <16" barrel, but it's an option.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 11:37:41 AM EDT
[#11]
DuPage county just refused me because they are under no "legal obligation to sign it."
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#12]
DuPage county just refused me because they are under no "legal obligation to sign it."
View Quote

Douche bags
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 1:51:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Douche bags
View All Quotes

Douche bags

maybe the NRA will file a 1983 for me :)
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 3:12:52 PM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

Douche bags

Hit 'em up. It may get them to put more pressure on our lawmakers that want to deny us our rights
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 10:51:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ryknoll3:
The way that NFA branch is reading the exception right now is that that 26" OAL applies to both C&R holders AND reenactors. Until someone gets an official clarification from the AG or ISP, the NFA branch will not approve SBR's under 26" OAL. To SBR a Kriss or P90 you would need to use a barrel that gets the OAL to 26". It will cost more money, but you could have a full length barrel down to get under 16" but keep the OAL at 26" and if the law is clarified, you can get it cut to the desired length later. I don't know if you can keep PS90's or Kriss's at 26" OAL with a <16" barrel, but it's an option.
View Quote

Bummer, that is going to put a crimp in my plans for an MP5K and B&T TP9...
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 1:24:33 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

There are others you might try.

As provided by regulations, certifications by the local chief of police, sheriff of the county, head of the State police, or State or local district attorney or prosecutor are acceptable. The regulations also provide that certifications of other officials are appropriate if found in a particular case to be acceptable to the Director. Examples of other officials who have been accepted in specific situations include State attorneys general and judges of State courts having authority to conduct jury trials in felony cases.

This whole sign-off thing is bullcrap. Giving local officials veto power over federal tax forms.

Your only other option is to form a corporation. They can hold C&R's.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 11:09:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shyyyster] [#17]
how much would that cost? im thinking of cutting my losses and getting the sig pistol stock thing.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 11:16:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Meeting with my CLEO tomorrow Still waiting on my rejection letter, but I'm going to be pro-active, and give them a call after my CLEO signs off, and send in my individual app, so I hopefully won't lose my place in line
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 11:20:46 AM EDT
[#19]
how much would that cost? im thinking of cutting my losses and getting the sig pistol stock thing.
View Quote

$150 up front and $100/yr.

Gets expensive quick.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 7:21:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Gets expensive quick.
View All Quotes

Gets expensive quick.

yeah that sig "arm brace" will be cheaper. just got denied by the dupage states attorney. just dropped my forms off at my local PD for the chief to look over.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 10:11:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Douche bags
View All Quotes

Douche bags
kendall co states attorney put a 'no guns' sign on the courthouse the instant CCW was passed.  I don't think there is snowballs chance in hell he sign my Form 1.  I think I'll try CLEO or or a judge.

Link Posted: 3/2/2014 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Im over in dekalb county, but im gonna try my local pd first.  If the cleo refuses im just going to tell him thats fine, ill do a trust and get it anyways. I wont try to get multiple signatures.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Trusts are no longer being accepted from Illinois applicants.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 7:46:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zummie] [#24]
Zummie made a poofa.  See next post please.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 7:53:54 PM EDT
[#25]
What constitutes a SBR.  I have a chance to purchase an AR15 with a 9 inch BBL without a stock, just the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By duanet85:
Im over in dekalb county, but im gonna try my local pd first.  If the cleo refuses im just going to tell him thats fine, ill do a trust and get it anyways. I wont try to get multiple signatures.
View Quote

Trust is a no-go in this state
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 8:53:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Zummie:
What constitutes a SBR.  I have a chance to purchase an AR15 with a 9 inch BBL without a stock, just the buffer tube.
View Quote

As long as the lower has never been in a rifle configuration you can build it as a pistola
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Wasnt aware. Googled. Now aware.  Hopefully cleo is a nice guy otherwise trip to dekalb co.  What I dont get is why they are so hesitant to sign off.  Its literally the same as a 'legal'  ar15 but with a short barrel.  

Originally Posted By gotfish:
Trusts are no longer being accepted from Illinois applicants.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/3/2014 1:46:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Is the buffertube a pistol style or can it accept a stock.  Sounds like an AR pistol.

Originally Posted By Zummie:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/4/2014 12:15:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By duanet85:
View Quote

Where are you Duane.  IM meeting with DeKalb PD Chief today.  trust will do no good in Illinois.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 12:18:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hsiddall] [#31]
Duane,  I spoke with Chief Deputy Dumdie at county yesterday.  He put it in plain terms that if your local cleo wont sign the sheriff wont sign.  Hopefully you have a decent police chief.  Sherriff doesn't want to start a pissing match with local jurisdictions.  Which is totally understandable.  averyone ive spoken with has been very polite and professional.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 4:03:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Well spoke with police chief today, he likes the idea as a collector but its not looking promising...Has anybody heard of any liabilities for the cleo signing off on forms?
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 4:06:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Will County's didn't seem hesitant when I asked.  Then again, the elections are coming up and he's retiring as of the new sheriff being elected, so maybe he wasn't as concerned about it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#34]

Will County's didn't seem hesitant when I asked.  Then again, the elections are coming up and he's retiring as of the new sheriff being elected, so maybe he wasn't as concerned about it.

View Quote
Who did you ask in Will Co?  

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By bssrf4:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bssrf4:

Sheriff Kaupas.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quick question for Lake county folks. I am in Lakemoor and they have their own police department. I have a 5 digit address, that leads me to believe that I am actually living in an unincorporated town. Would a CLEO sign off from Lakemoor be enough or would I need a sign off from the Lake county CLEO be needed?

Has anyone gotten a sign off from the Lake county CLEO or know his position on the matter?
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 10:52:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By QuirkyP71:
Quick question for Lake county folks. I am in Lakemoor and they have their own police department. I have a 5 digit address, that leads me to believe that I am actually living in an unincorporated town. Would a CLEO sign off from Lakemoor be enough or would I need a sign off from the Lake county CLEO be needed?

Has anyone gotten a sign off from the Lake county CLEO or know his position on the matter?
View Quote

Best you can do is call your CLEO and ask. Mine was willing to, but the street I live on is the town limit and she has no jusrisdicton here and I have to go through the Sheriff (whom I can't get to email me back )
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 11:31:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks SecretSquirrel, I guess my question is who is my actual CLEO with respect to the form 1 if I am living in an unincorporated town, the county sheriff or the local cops.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 11:49:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gotfish] [#39]
Would a CLEO sign off from Lakemoor be enough or would I need a sign off from the Lake county CLEO be needed?
View Quote

I'm not 100% on this, but I believe the rule of thumb is: If you call the police for an emergency at your residence, who shows up?  Local or County?  In my case, I live in an unincorporated area next to a much larger town, and yet the county is still the police force for us, hence my visit to the county sheriff.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:16:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Thanks SecretSquirrel, I guess my question is who is my actual CLEO with respect to the form 1 if I am living in an unincorporated town, the county sheriff or the local cops.
View Quote

I'm gonna venture a guess and say it's county since you're unincorporated.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 11:25:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shyyyster] [#41]

View Quote

just got off the phone with my local dept. i live in unincorporated so hes refusing to sign off. he said i need to talk to the county.  the sheriff, SA, and chief have denied me now. so im only left with the hiram grau to sign off before i try judges.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Sent all my paperwork for the SBR today! Lets see if I can get it by the new year!
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Has anyone tried to get CLEO sign off in Woodford County?
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 2:16:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Has anybody been able to get a sign-off in McHenry county?  The sheriffs department keeps telling me that they are not the ones who sign the form, and that I need to talk to ISP to get it signed.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 7:29:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By PharetH:
Has anybody been able to get a sign-off in McHenry county?  The sheriffs department keeps telling me that they are not the ones who sign the form, and that I need to talk to ISP to get it signed.
View Quote

My understanding was if you couldnt get your CLEO to sign it then county sheriff was you next step. Whos after that i dont know.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 5:12:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By sanunan:
Has anyone tried to get CLEO sign off in Woodford County?
View Quote

Matt Smith is going to be our new Sheriff in Nov.  He said he had no problem with signing off.  He is applying for some for the county.  I don't know about Jim Pierceall right now.  He might since he's retiring...
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 1:13:34 AM EDT
[#47]
this is so fucking stupid. i just got a letter back from the state police that told me the correct chief law enforcement officer would be my local chief. he already told me he wouldnt because im not in his jurisdiction. now thats local, state, states attorney, and sheriff who wont do it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 10:49:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PharetH] [#48]
this is so fucking stupid. i just got a letter back from the state police that told me the correct chief law enforcement officer would be my local chief. he already told me he wouldnt because im not in his jurisdiction. now thats local, state, states attorney, and sheriff who wont do it.
View Quote

I'm pretty much in the same boat.  McHenry county sheriffs office is telling me to contact ISP.  I guess I need to try my citys police station.  My address is outside city limits so I assumed I needed the sheriffs signoff, but if ISP is telling you to contact your local pd then I'm sure they will tell me to do the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

My town Chief said she can't sign as I live on the wrong side of the road to fall within her jurisdiction, but the Sheriff won't email or call me back.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#50]

My town Chief said she can't sign as I live on the wrong side of the road to fall within her jurisdiction, but the Sheriff won't email or call me back.
View All Quotes

write up a letter and drop it off at the jail, then wait for them to contact you.
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top