Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2021 10:42:05 AM EDT
This is probably a question for FFL's more than anything but anyone who has insight would be helpful here.

When you evaluate what you should pay for a used weapon (custom built AR's are excluded because everyone thinks they have the most valuable carbine known to man!), what data source do you use? I have found "Blue Books" and "Black books" for guns much like for a car or truck, but I don't know how reliable something like that is.

In today's market, being so demand driven with all the first time buyers, manufacturing constraints on new weapons, and ammo crunches I want to make the best and most educated decisions when trying to expand my own collection. I always think i have a "feel" for what a pistol or bolt rifle is worth but that is not in any way scientific ad I was hoping to have a more mathematic approach.

Let me know what you think!

Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I usually go on GunBroker to shop used prices. Find the auctions that actually have bids on them, throw them on your watchlist, and it'll give you a good idea of what you can expect to pay.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I usually go on GunBroker to shop used prices. Find the auctions that actually have bids on them, throw them on your watchlist, and it'll give you a good idea of what you can expect to pay.
View Quote

not the worst strategy.. at least it would say that someone is willing to pay "X" amount for the weapon. If only you could tell if they are panic buyers or actual knowledge based buyers!
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Start at Gun broker and maybe look at the EE on here.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I do check the EE but I find it's a similar situation to Armslist. No one is selling something to break even (most of the time) so it's still a bit of a guessing game. But it is probably more accurate than Armslist
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Assuming you have a gunbroker account (I don't) you can search completed auctions.  Sort by number of bids in descending order (highest at the top).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top