Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2018 7:16:43 PM EDT
I haven’t been on it in years,  thinking about doing a run up there. a buddy was asking if his stock 4x4 half ton truck can make it without damage?
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#1]
The main way, you could drive a honda civic there.

The "back way", most of it is okay if it's not washed out, but it has some hairy spots. I wouldn't want to do it without another vehicle with me, or with a truck that you weren't ready to beat up.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#2]
The way up from Cleator is easy as hell. I've seen more than a few Priuses up there.

My wife and I did the Senator Highway from CK to Prescott, and that could be done in a 2WD pickup or a car with moderately-high ground clearance. Hit up the saloon in CK and get some ice cream and fudge at the general store.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The way up from Cleator is easy as hell. I've seen more than a few Priuses up there.

My wife and I did the Senator Highway from CK to Prescott, and that could be done in a 2WD pickup or a car with moderately-high ground clearance. Hit up the saloon in CK and get some ice cream and fudge at the general store.
View Quote
We were looking to start at lake pleasant, any idea on the road conditions down there?
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 8:55:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

We were looking to start at lake pleasant, any idea on the road conditions down there?
View Quote
You said you wanted to do it without damage?  I don't think the back way you can make it without scratches/dents.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:01:12 PM EDT
[#5]
You must be asking about the route from the north side of Lake Pleasant? Back way?

I was up there a couple weeks ago through Bumble Bee and Cleator.  The
main road is GTG..
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:27:08 PM EDT
[#6]
A stock, non lifted truck with 4WD (with good tires)will be fine.  There are obstacles, but they have bypasses.  We went last year and one guy was in a Chevy zr2 which was stock. He put in  4WD. a couple of times
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 1:47:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Last time I went was last year. Stock 2016 Jku non Rubi

95% is fine. 4% that is bad has ways around.

Once in the mountain there are two or three spots that in a non lifted vehicle you will scrape your undercarriage. You can try to pile rocks. It helps a little. There are no ways to drive around the spots on the climb up the mountain. Once you get to the top make sure you know how to get out of there too. It can be a little confusing. And don’t think you’re going to hit pavement and do 80mph on the way back. It’s still a dirt road for a LONG time.

Fun fact:  we started out in the desert with nice weather. Half way up the mountain, 5 hours later, it was a complete white out blizzard and my wife and dad wanted to kill me. I was having a blast.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 5:02:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Going up from lake pleasant there were 3 rough obstacles 2-3 months ago.

The first is the dry creek bed; a dude ahead of me in a ford raptor backed up and turned around.

The other two areas were obstacles that required stacking rocks and thanking the money spent on rock sliders.  You may get over it fine.

Honestly the most stressful thing was all the 4 seat atv/utv vehicles coming back down to lake pleasant from the top.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 1:01:50 PM EDT
[#9]
More than likely, you will get scratches as there are a couple of car washes.  You can avoid every obstacle, but you should have 4wd.  Ive run it in my TRD Pro Tundra, but it was lifted.  Ive also run it in a 4Runner and a Stock FJ.  No problems.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 7:35:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
More than likely, you will get scratches as there are a couple of car washes.  You can avoid every obstacle, but you should have 4wd.  Ive run it in my TRD Pro Tundra, but it was lifted.  Ive also run it in a 4Runner and a Stock FJ.  No problems.
View Quote
Are there a bunch of shrubs waiting to scratch or is it uncommon enough that a battery powered trimmer could be occasionally employed?
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 5:17:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Are there a bunch of shrubs waiting to scratch or is it uncommon enough that a battery powered trimmer could be occasionally employed?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol
seriously, You are on an off road trail not drive to the mall.  If you are that worried don't go.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is Arizona: nearly every plant out there is looking to scratch the hell out of you and your vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Buddy took a new tundra through a shallow stream. There was a submerged rock that gouged the crap out of the lower body right behind the cab.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 2:28:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I love these threads.

What constitutes bad road is so subjective.

Last time I did the backroad to CK, any 4x4 would be plenty. Unless you are afraid of getting a little desert pin striping.

That’s why I buy used trucks.

A 1996 4Runner can go where Rubicons fear to tread because nobody wants to dent the $3000 winch bumper on their $40k Jeep.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 10:48:27 PM EDT
[#16]
It's easy on a bike. I'd only do it in a 4wd truck, I got an old stock Z71. Senator Hwy between CK and Prescott.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 11:15:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Back way is now closed due to fire danger FYI.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:34:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Back way is now closed due to fire danger FYI.
View Quote
Just to add -- the town is open for business, but the forest area around it is now
virtually closed as of June 1: June 1st Prescott National Forest closures.

Pretty much forget about camping, shooting, or fires until fall or at least until we have a solid monsoon.

Also they're pretty active in enforcing it right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top