Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2022 5:18:23 PM EDT
Guys,

I am looking to flee NYS and move South! My wife and I are very conservative and we want to get our 4 boys out of this leftist utopia. We are interested in South Eastern Alabama, but we’ve only been to the Orange beach and Mobile areas so I thought I’d ask here before we come down again to look. We are hoping to be no more then 1 to 1.5 hours from the beach and we would like to avoid flood/Hurricane zones. What do you all think about the South Eastern area of Alabama? Please don’t beat me up too much and keep in mind we will be “political refugees“ who will be voting red every election.

Thanks,

Link Posted: 11/9/2022 9:37:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Where south east ? I am west of Dothan and about an hour and a half from the beach. On 40 acres in a nice rural area. I like it. I would not live in Dothan because I wanted small town. Found mine on Landwatch. There is a property down the street from me for sale 49 acres and a house
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Ha... anything can be a hurricane zone if you stick around long enough. I'd stay away from Dothan really. Maybe the Enterprise, Opp, Elba area? Brewton is meh...
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome, glad to have you here.

I wouldn't recommend Mobile, it's full of crime, woke, entitlement goblins, and crappy roads.

It's not SE AL, but Fairhope, Daphne and Spanish Fort are great communities.  Troy has nice spots, and a great university connection.

Orange Beach is quality, you could do a lot worse for sure.

Link Posted: 11/9/2022 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Crap... Fairhope, Daphne, and Spanish Fort are exploding right now with transplants... it'll be purple next cycle. Silverhill is pretty nice though.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys all great info. It’s a lot to take in but thought to ask here. NYS has collapsed. The liberal crazies are running the state into the ground, and we want out before it gets worse. I think we will come down and start by checking out the Enterprise area. Looking for at least 1 acre maybe 5 if possible. I’d really like to shoot on my own property and ride ATVs but it’s not a must. Mostly just looking for a good safe area where we can raise our boys in peace and not have to deal with liberal idiots anymore.

Thanks,

Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:13:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ha... anything can be a hurricane zone if you stick around long enough. I'd stay away from Dothan really. Maybe the Enterprise, Opp, Elba area? Brewton is meh...
View Quote

These are all towns near me and most are decent I am about 20 minutes south of Enterprise. I have no regrets since moving here other than I do miss my friends.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 12:26:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

These are all towns near me and most are decent I am about 20 minutes south of Enterprise. I have no regrets since moving here other than I do miss my friends.
View Quote

I like the area personally, just wish more hiking areas were around. Sorry for the loss of compadres whiskerz, same for me where I am. I’m looking to get further north where our old homesteads are for my fam.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 7:23:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I like the area personally, just wish more hiking areas were around. Sorry for the loss of compadres whiskerz, same for me where I am. I’m looking to get further north where our old homesteads are for my fam.
View Quote

There are a few WMA's down here and you can get a permit to use Eglin AFB fairly reasonable as well. It has hiking trails as well as some cool history
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 1:15:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I grew up in the Enterprise/New Brockton area from '74 to '95 and own land down there.  My dad still lives in Enterprise.  Its a great area to raise kids and the schools are great also.  Its 90 minutes from the beach and crime is relatively low.  Land is still affordable in that area.  

Link Posted: 11/21/2022 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I’m in Troy, it’s not bad but there are some vibrant areas. I have family in the enterprise area and it’s not too bad either.  Also have family in Geneva but there isn’t much going on there as it has dried up. Dothan has been having a lot of crime issues lately and it’s growing as well.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I really appreciate everyone’s input! I think we are gonna drive down and check out Enterprise, Dothan, and maybe Ozark in Late February. NYS is lost and we cannot wait to get out and move to a place that is in line with respecting personal freedoms, a traditional way of life, and doesn’t tax you to death. It’s absolutely crazy what’s going on in the New York state legislator and in the public schools. They are going after our kids now which is the last straw for us. We are really excited at the possibility of being able to relocate down there maybe as soon as next summer.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 9:40:44 PM EDT
[#14]
There are plenty of other areas in AL that give you the small town feel and are strong conservative areas.

What all are you looking for in your future AO?
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 2:23:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There are plenty of other areas in AL that give you the small town feel and are strong conservative areas.

What all are you looking for in your future AO?
View Quote

If possible we’d like to be 1 to 1.5hrs from the beach, no HOA, 2+ acres, low crime, and good schools for my boys. We stayed in Orange beach this past summer and it was really nice.

Link Posted: 11/22/2022 11:53:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 10:04:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good hunting.

If you have any questions feel free to post here, lots of helpful folks in HTF.

Some good tacked threads up top in the forum.
View Quote

Much appreciated thank you!!!

Link Posted: 11/24/2022 2:29:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I grew up in the Enterprise/New Brockton area from '74 to '95 and own land down there.  My dad still lives in Enterprise.  Its a great area to raise kids and the schools are great also.  Its 90 minutes from the beach and crime is relatively low.  Land is still affordable in that area.  

View Quote

I will second this.  I grew up in the Enterprise/ Coffee Springs area, and my dad still lives between the two.  Enterprise has grown since I left in 86, but still has a low crime rate.  Geneva county is pretty stagnant growth wise, but land can be had fairly cheap.  
The area between Dothan and Hartford is pretty nice, as you can have country privacy, but be close to Dothan for shopping and things to do and still be close to the beaches.
I live outside Mobile now, but still visit the are pretty frequently and stay up on the local news.  Once I retire in a few years, I will probably move back to the wire grass area.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 12:05:38 AM EDT
[#19]
OP, my brother-in-law lived in Rehobeth, outside of Dothan, for many years.  He never had problems.

There are vibrant areas in the downtown Dothan area.....
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
OP, my brother-in-law lived in Rehobeth, outside of Dothan, for many years.  He never had problems.

There are vibrant areas in the downtown Dothan area.....
View Quote

Thank you for the reply! We are really excited about coming down to check the area out.

Link Posted: 11/29/2022 8:23:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I will second this.  I grew up in the Enterprise/ Coffee Springs area, and my dad still lives between the two.  Enterprise has grown since I left in 86, but still has a low crime rate.  Geneva county is pretty stagnant growth wise, but land can be had fairly cheap.  
The area between Dothan and Hartford is pretty nice, as you can have country privacy, but be close to Dothan for shopping and things to do and still be close to the beaches.
I live outside Mobile now, but still visit the are pretty frequently and stay up on the local news.  Once I retire in a few years, I will probably move back to the wire grass area.
View Quote

I am a few minutes from Coffee Springs
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 2:36:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I emailed you my phone number. If you are up to it I’d like to pick your brain about Coffee Springs.

Thanks,

Link Posted: 12/27/2022 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I moved to Enterprise two years ago from Pennsyltucky to be around our daughter who married a Southern Gentleman she met in the service.  Nice area with nice folks, though I do miss the mountains.

Do you shoot at Tri State by any chance?
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I moved to Enterprise two years ago from Pennsyltucky to be around our daughter who married a Southern Gentleman she met in the service.  Nice area with nice folks, though I do miss the mountains.

View Quote

I have not shot at Tri state. I shoot at RnR and in my yard. I am working on having a full time 100 yards set up at the house
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 11:18:41 AM EDT
[#25]
In lived in Fairhope a little while about 20 years ago.  It was wonderful then, I don't know what it is like now.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 11:29:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think we are gonna drive down the first week in March. Most likely will stay in Enterprise and start doing some RECON of the area. I’ll make sure I still have my Trump sicker on the rear window so everyone knows we are “ok” lol. Really appreciate everyone’s responses thanks guys!

Link Posted: 12/29/2022 1:34:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Op

pm me
I can help
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 1:44:50 AM EDT
[#28]
enterprise is hot market with good schools but prices are higher due to local military base

north of enterprise is hot with good local school(zion chapel)
jack,tarentum

north of dothan is hot market as long as not dothan schools
Abbeville,headland
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Where south east ? I am west of Dothan and about an hour and a half from the beach. On 40 acres in a nice rural area. I like it. I would not live in Dothan because I wanted small town. Found mine on Landwatch. There is a property down the street from me for sale 49 acres and a house
View Quote

Thanks for the hint on Landwatch.    I posted in HT "looking for land in North Alabama" thread.   Been looking more North AL but not ruling out more south and closer to family in FL and GA.    I used to hunt up near Ft Rucker / Enterprise.   49 acres and a house is perfect, but may need to find a smaller piece to go ahead and tie up.     Covington, Coffee, Geneva look pretty good!
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Thanks for the hint on Landwatch.    I posted in HT "looking for land in North Alabama" thread.   Been looking more North AL but not ruling out more south and closer to family in FL and GA.    I used to hunt up near Ft Rucker / Enterprise.   49 acres and a house is perfect, but may need to find a smaller piece to go ahead and tie up.     Covington, Coffee, Geneva look pretty good!
View Quote

That place up the street with 49 acres sold in under 60 days.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 7:43:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Been spending some quality time on Landwatch.   We are gonna to hang out in Covington County this weekend...check out a few properties.

EDIT:
We checked out some things in Covington...mainly land around Opp.   We knew it was rut time so we didnt do much land walking in order to be respectful, even tho any place we were was not supposed to have any lease/etc going on (that they know of lol).  

Anyone with any info about Andalusia community and it's future?  Looks to be clean and friendly.   I was surprised to see some purple hair working at the Piggly Wiggly but I guess you have that anywhere.  The Lake Gantt area was nice, but felt more like NE GA.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 3:45:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Never hear anything bad about the area.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Been spending some quality time on Landwatch.   We are gonna to hang out in Covington County this weekend...check out a few properties.

EDIT:
We checked out some things in Covington...mainly land around Opp.   We knew it was rut time so we didnt do much land walking in order to be respectful, even tho any place we were was not supposed to have any lease/etc going on (that they know of lol).  

Anyone with any info about Andalusia community and it's future?  Looks to be clean and friendly.   I was surprised to see some purple hair working at the Piggly Wiggly but I guess you have that anywhere.  The Lake Gantt area was nice, but felt more like NE GA.
View Quote

I know the area. feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer them
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:24:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for replies.   We really enjoyed our trip and loved Covington County. We drove down thru Geneva area around Samson and it was beautiful as well.  Very friendly folks and loved Davids Catfish Restaurant.    I guess my only question was that Gant Lake seemed to be really building up fast...and wondered if a large amount of libs are moving in like they did into the cabins in NE GA...turning it bluer.  The cabin we stayed in was an Airbnb and we had 24/7 security cameras on our porch and boat house pointed right at living area.  Aside from that it was a very nice place...just different mindset from the owners.  I think they were kinda lefty and lived in Ft Walton.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Sorry, just saw this thread. I'm in Dothan.

Dothan City Schools kinda suck, especially the middle school. My child was in one of the few good public elementary schools, but next year she will attend middle school in a private school. Rehobeth is where people move to have access to a good public school. Factor that into your cost analysis. Headland has a good city school system but the town is too small for me.

Dothan Gun Club was recently purchased by Talon Range. It's a fantastic range on the west side of Dothan. Membership used to be $240 a year but I'm not sure what it has gone up to.

I like Dothan better than Enterprise but it's subjective. Enterprise is probably better if you are very social. Dothan has it's cliques and it's hard for newcomers to meet people (at least that's what I hear from several sources.)

I recently closed the sale of 71 acres with a 1976 ranch style 2300 sqft house for $455,000, just to give you an idea of prices. The house had not been updated ever. The land was valued at around 5k an acre. Smaller lots in Rehobeth will obviously cost more per acre.

Feel free to DM me with any specific questions.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Guys,

I am looking to flee NYS and move South! My wife and I are very conservative and we want to get our 4 boys out of this leftist utopia. We are interested in South Eastern Alabama, but we’ve only been to the Orange beach and Mobile areas so I thought I’d ask here before we come down again to look. We are hoping to be no more then 1 to 1.5 hours from the beach and we would like to avoid flood/Hurricane zones. What do you all think about the South Eastern area of Alabama? Please don’t beat me up too much and keep in mind we will be “political refugees“ who will be voting red every election.

Thanks,

View Quote

Are you married to the SE? I've worked a lot traveling and I'm a fellow transplant. Spent little time in mobile area but Fairhope and Spanish Fort are nice areas. I ask because I'm not far from Lake Guntersville and there are a lot of places where you can get some seclusion but close enough to about anything you want. The area and schools are nice as well. This is a cool state to live in and there are def areas worth checking out
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 10:11:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Are you married to the SE? I've worked a lot traveling and I'm a fellow transplant. Spent little time in mobile area but Fairhope and Spanish Fort are nice areas. I ask because I'm not far from Lake Guntersville and there are a lot of places where you can get some seclusion but close enough to about anything you want. The area and schools are nice as well. This is a cool state to live in and there are def areas worth checking out
View Quote

Eastern Shore is turning to shit.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Eastern Shore is turning to shit.
View Quote

I'm pretty happy in Albertville. It's built up in the decade I've been here. Surrounded by woods and the dogs can run, and it's only a 5 min drive from about any store I need
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 7:26:28 PM EDT
[#39]
I left AL for 6 years and came back and it’s like everyone has lost their minds. Looking for a place that isn’t appealing for transplants and is t in Sewell’s district.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 2:43:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
enterprise is hot market with good schools but prices are higher due to local military base

north of enterprise is hot with good local school(zion chapel)
jack,tarentum

north of dothan is hot market as long as not dothan schools
Abbeville,headland
View Quote

My wife grew up in Jack and went to ZC.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 1:16:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Interested what works out for you op, I will be making the move from Florida in May as long as my clearances go through to Troy and have been thinking on where to live.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top