Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2023 3:10:20 PM EDT
I'll be traveling to Madison for work in Mid May.   I last came up there in spring 2018 and stayed at a hotel that was right across from the UW football stadium near downtown.   In the evenings I wandered around Downtown Madison on foot to go grab dinner, check out the sights, etc.  

Then the summer of "Firey, but Mostly Peaceful" protests happend, then the 2020 elections happened and then Lots of Cities adopted stupid policies regarding homelessness and crime, with regards to cash bail, etc.  I guess where i'm going is, I live in Dallas, and before 2020 i'd have no problem wandering around most of downtown Dallas at night, today not so much.  

Has downtown madison declined to that level in recent years?  I was looking to get a hotel in that area again so i could wander around, or should i look more to hotels away from downtown?  

Also anything neat to see/experience on a wed, thurs, friday night in Madison?
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#1]
We go downtown Madison a few times a year since we left. I lived near the Capitol from 2012 to 2016.

The capitol square is totally fine. besides drunk kids, State St is fine. Willy St is good.

I prefer the Capitol Square. Less hipsters than Willy St. less college bros than State St.

I think it's a great placed to walk around liquored up.

if you're looking for steaks/supper club downtown, I always recommend Tornado.

FWIW - I really like the Hampton Inn and the Best Western by the capitol.

Tell the bums you only have $100s. That was always my favorite.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 2:42:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to madison.com & look at the website for an idea of the crime in the area.

They will shut you off after you read a few articles but then you can go to wkowtv.com, channel3000.com, & nbc15.com.

There is also wiscnews.com for the surrounding area.

Note that a lot of the crime these days is out by Allied Drive or on the east side but there is still some crime downtown.

Link Posted: 4/4/2023 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe May 12th is graduation weekend. It will be nuts to butts everywhere. If you go after that weekend it will be less busy. The previously mentioned best western is solid. You can’t go wrong with any of the downtown or university areas.

You’ll be fine doing whatever you would in an other city. Your biggest concern is dealing with the crowds of people partying. If partying sounds fun to you, then you’ll have a great time.

It’s not some cesspool, it’s a regular city. Go grab some beers and get a brat or some cheese curds.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 9:13:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Has downtown madison declined to that level in recent years?  
View Quote

Short answer, no.

Stay out of dark alleys and you'll be fine.

As mentioned get reservations at the Tornado Club Steakhouse for dinner.  Phenomenal service, drinks and food and for what it is, not too expensive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top