Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2024 10:07:43 AM EDT
11.5% here. So much for the new tax laws. Just got notice in the mail.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:21:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Rincon_11:
View Quote

About 10% here in Travis County.  Assessment increased the maximum amount they are allowed, most of the rates relatively unchanged or slightly higher.  No decreases in anything.  The new law hasn't helped at all.  Local control of taxation by liberal Democrats ensures the status quo of prices going up-up-up.

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 1:04:22 PM EDT
[#2]
are you talking about property taxes? your mortgage shouldn't move. the escrow amount will.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Wulf202:
are you talking about property taxes? your mortgage shouldn't move. the escrow amount will.
View Quote

Yes, that's what he means.  The mortage P will change as the loan is paid off (should go down unless equity is borrowed against, etc).  Mortgage I should only change if it is a variable rate loan unless there is something like a clause that changes the rate if payments are missed, etc.  That kind of thing is not legal in all states, and I don't know about Texas.  I haven't heard of it here.

But yeah, the escrow amount will usually change every year as property taxes go up and insurance goes up.  And those almost never go down.  Insurance might temporarily if you change carriers but usually only a year or two.

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:10:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Haven't had a mortgage since 1990.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Who does/did escrow?
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Because of tax relief our payment dropped $250 a month.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#7]
mine went away last year; property/other taxes went down
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:31:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Went up about 8% or so. Then the tax cut brought it back down again. Saved me about $100 or so a month.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Seastate:
Who does/did escrow?
View Quote
I do.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote
He is, I'm sure he means the cost per month. Yes you are correct, but people refer to the principal, interest and escrow as their mortgage all the time.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 6:52:02 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Look more closely at the break down.  It's probably your insurance going up.  Your mortage fee's dont fluctuate.  Tax and insurance will and escrow will change the payment amount.

If over-all its 11% increase, thats not bad.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:07:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Zero and property tax went down.

Hopefully the property tax stays that way but I doubt it.  Government bureaucracy always grows to consume all that it possibly can plus we have to redistribute a huge portion of our property taxes paid to the school district to other districts that are poorly run, poorly funded by their own populations and have no accountability for the dollars they spend that they get from us.  So we end up spending some of the least per student in the state and have some of the best outcomes, funny how that works.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:34:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SoftwareJanitor] [#13]
Originally Posted By r-2-k-b-a:

Look more closely at the break down.  It's probably your insurance going up.  Your mortage fee's dont fluctuate.  Tax and insurance will and escrow will change the payment amount.

View Quote

Here in Travco I would guess most property tax went up because they raised values as much as they are allowed to. The inreases in exemptions that were the tax relief by the state reduced that some, but not enough to completely offset increases. Tax rates for a bunch of things also increased and of course insurance rates shyrocketed.

Edit to add...  The tax relief the legislature did provided some help in Travco.  Taxes probably would have went up a lot more without them.  The libtards that run the county cry about how they aren't allowed to raise taxes on the rich land owners nearly as much as they'd like so they can give money away to deadbeats, homeless and illegals.

Link Posted: 3/10/2024 8:51:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By r-2-k-b-a:

View Quote

That's implied. Of course I don't have an ARM. Property taxes went up, causing HOI to increase as well. I managed to settle with the state without a hearing, for 30% of what they wanted to raise my value to. They were trying to value my property at almost 100% of what it was valued at last year. I wish people would stop moving here.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 12:01:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm one of those who doesn't owe a bank on my dirt.  Which is why I was wondering if this was about taxes. Mine went up a lot, but I wasn't home to answer the ag exemption removal. So now I get to file for that.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:15:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bradleyswine] [#16]
I got my house insurance bill from State Farm and they only raised my homeowners insurance by about $200 compared with last year’s bill.  This year they billed me $4,110.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#17]
No escrow here my self. But insurance and HOA has not gone up much for my area in Houston.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:46:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TontoGoldstein:
Because of tax relief our payment dropped $250 a month.
View Quote

Pretty much the same boat. Insurance went up more though but I'll take whatever I can get.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#19]
First:  You do not have to use escrow for insurance and taxes, at least in Texas.  You can pay your own taxes and homeowners insurance!  The mortgage company assess you a fee for the 'service', so you are paying them to hold your money (earning interest for them ) and making your  insurance and tax payments.    The last two homes that I had a mortgage on, we simply told the broker we did not want to escrow.  It did not impact our rate, but we were charged a fee (less than $400) for 'waiving escrow'.  This was a good deal, because if my memory is correct, the annual fees assessed by the mortgage company was about $200 dollars a year for managing the escrow account.  

The main thing is that it keeps you in control...many years ago, on my first home, the mortgage company was escrowing taxes and insurance and they fucked up on the tax payments (the provided the incorrect account number when making the payment). When the overdue notice hit them, they denied the mistake and tried to double up on what they were collecting.  It was a huge pita to get straight.

Back to the OP question: ZERO. We have not had a mortgage in 15 years.   Our taxes went down by about $1200 in 2023.  Our homeowners insurance went up about $250.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#20]

I'm one of those who doesn't owe a bank on my dirt.  Which is why I was wondering if this was about taxes. Mine went up a lot, but I wasn't home to answer the ag exemption removal. So now I get to file for that.
View Quote

Ouch. Good luck with that.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By NAK:
First:  You do not have to use escrow for insurance and taxes, at least in Texas.  You can pay your own taxes and homeowners insurance!  The mortgage company assess you a fee for the 'service', so you are paying them to hold your money (earning interest for them ) and making your  insurance and tax payments.    The last two homes that I had a mortgage on, we simply told the broker we did not want to escrow.  It did not impact our rate, but we were charged a fee (less than $400) for 'waiving escrow'.  This was a good deal, because if my memory is correct, the annual fees assessed by the mortgage company was about $200 dollars a year for managing the escrow account.  

The main thing is that it keeps you in control...many years ago, on my first home, the mortgage company was escrowing taxes and insurance and they fucked up on the tax payments (the provided the incorrect account number when making the payment). When the overdue notice hit them, they denied the mistake and tried to double up on what they were collecting.  It was a huge pita to get straight.

Back to the OP question: ZERO. We have not had a mortgage in 15 years.   Our taxes went down by about $1200 in 2023.  Our homeowners insurance went up about $250.
View Quote

The whole "You aren't keeping your interest" thing hasn't made sense since you got a 6% return. Been 1-1.5% return now for as long as I can remember. I keep semi-large amounts in a savings account for emergencies. But it sure as shit isn't as valuable as other investments one should be involved in. Savings accounts are for dullards these days. But I get it, you want full control of your assets. Nothing wrong with that.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:12:10 AM EDT
[#22]

The whole "You aren't keeping your interest" thing hasn't made sense since you got a 6% return. Been 1-1.5% return now for as long as I can remember. I keep semi-large amounts in a savings account for emergencies. But it sure as shit isn't as valuable as other investments one should be involved in. Savings accounts are for dullards these days. But I get it, you want full control of your assets. Nothing wrong with that.
View Quote

Savings accounts still aren't the best choice, but they're paying 5% now, not 1-1.5%.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By DaTrueDave:

Savings accounts still aren't the best choice, but they're paying 5% now, not 1-1.5%.
View Quote

Did not now that. Thanks for heads-up. Are you locked in at that rate or do they adjust with interest fluctuations? 5% ain't bad at all for a "safe place".
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:04:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Did not now that. Thanks for heads-up. Are you locked in at that rate or do they adjust with interest fluctuations? 5% ain't bad at all for a "safe place".
View Quote

I've never heard of regular savings accounts locking in any sort of rate unless it's some promotional thing.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By DaTrueDave:

View Quote

With real inflation (not the BS official government numbers) still well into double digits you're still losing money on a savings account, just not nearly as much as you were before.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:41:24 AM EDT
[#26]
That shows their lack of understanding of basic finances.  Odds are good their money management skills reflect this as well.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 1:49:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bayouhazard] [#27]
Fixed rate so my mortgage stayed the same. Taxes didn't change much but insurance dropped a lot when I switched away from USAA.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:44:11 PM EDT
[#28]
full amount as allowed by law. we could have had nice things but everyone voted for hot wheels because they don't understand what a primary is.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 7:08:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Mine went down, but we also defeated another bond proposal last year.

They are proposing another one this year
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#30]
My property taxes in Johnson county went from $1425 down to $960 a year.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 2:09:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Clint50] [#31]
Our total house payment dropped $300 a month. It's now lower than when we first purchased our home, three years ago.
Got an escrow refund of almost $3700.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:02:55 AM EDT
[#32]
How Much Did Your Mortgage Go Up This Year?
View Quote

0%
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:11:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fadedsun] [#33]
Another bond coming. Mortgage might go up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top