Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2020 8:08:21 PM EDT
I think my 2000 Civic lost the timing belt. If so, how bad will it be to get it going?

I'm so glad the member I spoke with about buying it, didn't!
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:57:26 PM EDT
[#1]
VERY (DETAILED) HONDA CIVIC TIMING BELT CHANGE/REPLACEMENT FOR ALL 1996- 2000 HONDA CIVICS
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:58:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Like, broke while driving 'lost'?
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:41:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Often when that happens in a Honda it is new engine time, as they are "interference" engines, a.k.a. "valve smashers".  If the timing belt goes, there will be valves open when the pistons go to TDC and since the pistons don't have full valve relief cuts, something's gotta give.  Either the piston dome or the valve stem.  Once you've got valve heads bouncing around in a cylinder, the cylinder/sleeve walls and usually the combustion chamber surface of the head will be damaged pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Often when that happens in a Honda it is new engine time, as they are "interference" engines, a.k.a. "valve smashers".  If the timing belt goes, there will be valves open when the pistons go to TDC and since the pistons don't have full valve relief cuts, something's gotta give.  Either the piston dome or the valve stem.  Once you've got valve heads bouncing around in a cylinder, the cylinder/sleeve walls and usually the combustion chamber surface of the head will be damaged pretty quickly.
View Quote
This.  Which is why I asked.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#5]
IM ed you contact information for a top Honda mechanic for more information about your situation.

Sorry to hear about the trouble...
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:14:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not really. I went to start it up and the starter just spun. I put it on the back burner then began to try and get my cars back to running as their registrations came due.

I've never had a timing belt/chain be a problem so my terminology is probably wrong.

Tomorrow's chore is removing the timing belt cover to see if I see any missing teeth. Then I'll call BiggerHammer's guy!

Tuesday/Wednesday I'll get a radiator for my truck!
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#7]
SoftwareJanitor, wouldn't I have heard some offcolor sounds from the motor? All I hear is a motor turning over but not catching.

"Lost time" is maybe a wrong term; jumped time sounds better.

I'll be contacting BIGGER_HAMMER's guy today hopefully and get an idea on where I am with this car.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:14:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
SoftwareJanitor, wouldn't I have heard some offcolor sounds from the motor? All I hear is a motor turning over but not catching.

I'll be contacting BIGGER_HAMMER's guy today hopefully and get an idea on where I am with this car.
View Quote
If it turns over and you don't hear any noises like valves hitting the pistons, then your timing belt has probably not broken.  You might get away with it not completely trashing itself if it only jumped a tooth or two, but if it slipped significantly it can still damage the motor.  If it just won't start you may have some other issue, like your ECM might be dead, you could have a fuel pressure issue or maybe you aren't getting a spark.  I'd check your fuel pressure and test for spark at each of the plugs and see what is going on.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not really. I went to start it up and the starter just spun. I put it on the back burner then began to try and get my cars back to running as their registrations came due.

I've never had a timing belt/chain be a problem so my terminology is probably wrong.

Tomorrow's chore is removing the timing belt cover to see if I see any missing teeth. Then I'll call BiggerHammer's guy!

Tuesday/Wednesday I'll get a radiator for my truck!
View Quote
That doesn't sound like a timing belt let go on a Honda engine (from that era). When a timing belt poops the bed on an interference engine, it sounds like a coffee can full of pennies being tossed down the stairs. I would be willing to bet money that you have an ignition problem. Make sure the battery is good (yes, I know, it shouldn't crank if the battery is bad, but humor me, please) and then pull one of the spark plug boots while you have your wife try to crank the engine. If the ignition system is working properly, then you should be able to hold a plug boot about 1/4 inch away from the manifold and see the spark plug shooting little lightning bolts. If it doesn't, then you have an ignition problem, which is very common on those cars. Whatever you do, ignore the guy at Autozone who tries to tell you the fuel pump is bad. They always say that. Haha.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 7:31:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Trust me on this. It didn't jump time either. It's probably electrical, not mechanical.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I checked the belt and it looks good.

Put everything back and tried again with ether. After the second spray it almost kicked off but then nothing. Doing this solo sucks but I'm out of time now.

BIGGER_HAMMER, I traded texts with your guy but then we fell out. I don't know what his hours are so I don't want to intrude! I hit him up here in a minute.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:53:58 PM EDT
[#12]
@MrEG
All four cylinders get gas, fuel pump sprays, distributor cap looks good but we couldn’t see how to remove the rotor(?).

@BIGGER_HAMMER
I really hope to see you Tuesday as I owe you several beers!
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 9:26:31 AM EDT
[#13]
It may be flooding. After cranking it, pull a plug and look at it to see if it is wet. One issue is that the Idle control solenoid will fail or stick closed and the ECM will still add the extra fuel as though it were working properly. This can cause flooding and a no start condition.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks Uturn.

Wouldn’t we be smelling fuel? I may not because I’m inside cranking. Maybe the Honda is that tight that fuel isn’t wasted?
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 11:38:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Did you do the spark plug thing I mentioned?
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 11:39:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Also, what town are you in?
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks Uturn.

Wouldn’t we be smelling fuel? I may not because I’m inside cranking. Maybe the Honda is that tight that fuel isn’t wasted?
View Quote
Had it happen on a friends 02 Accord, never did smell. The wet plugs gave it away. Initially changed plugs and got it running, but it would occasionally not start. Finally cleaned and unstuck the idle control valve. After that no more issues.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#18]
@MrEG
We did it with the coil=sparks.

Cypress

Do I need to do it to the plug as well.

I saw something yesterday morning about the ICV.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 10:17:46 AM EDT
[#19]
@Uturn

Should I go straight to cleaning the ICV, skippng the plugs?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:22:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
@Uturn

Should I go straight to cleaning the ICV, skippng the plugs?

Thanks.
View Quote
Basically, yes. If you're getting a spark, then it's time to look at other sensors. IACV is a common failure point.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:39:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm chatting with a tech and he said IACV would not prevent starting.

I started removing what I thought was the IACV but it was oozing a thick light colored oil and THAT didn't look good! Wiped it down and put it back.

Glad I have other rides.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Have you plugged a scanner in yet to see if you have any codes?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm late to the party... Your car was built around the time I quit turning wrenches and back when I worked for dealerships we had many problems with carbon buildup falling off and holding valves open. With no compression it wouldn't start and came in on the hook. The solution was to crank it over while squirting ATF into the intake, let it set for a couple of hours and then try to start it. Most often it would start but only after cranking a good bit. Once started squirting water in the intake would clean up the residual carbon and it would run fine.

I know this sounds crazy but I've seen it happen dozens of times. The ATF will soften up the carbon enough so that it will get compression, then following up with water cleans it up. If you've ever pulled a cylinder head with a leaking head gasket you know that water will clean the combustion chamber, it will be the only one that's clean.

Unless I missed something in the thread, yours fits the symptoms. It will cost you absolutely nothing to try as crazy as it sounds.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:31:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Dude, you are really old school. I haven’t heard of that n 30-35 years!

What I don’t get though is how could this happen when this car is driven from Cypress to UH and back(down/back, twice a day)at about 70 mph could build up carbon. I run Shell gas in all my autos.

It did sit for the Christmas break from school because I didn’t need to go downtown.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Have you plugged a scanner in yet to see if you have any codes?
View Quote
I don't have a scanner but I also don't have a check engine light.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Also, there isn't an under-dash plug in. My neighbor has a scanner but nowhere to plug.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Also, there isn't an under-dash plug in. My neighbor has a scanner but nowhere to plug.
View Quote
If you have a 2000 civic there should be a port.  It’s required to have it.  I think it was 1996 when the feds required it. Just because you don’t have a check engine light does not mean that you don’t have any codes in the computer.  Also your car does not run so it would be hard for it to display the light while it’s running.

Scanning the computer would be one of the first things a tech would do if you took it to a shop.

Check this link on where to find it

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/location-obdii-port-2000-civic-dx-1-6-a-68559/
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a ODBII Code Reader that OP is welcome to borrow.

I'll be at the Houston Meet Up Tuesday Night.  It is in my car for you if you come up.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 6:56:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks sanangelo, BIGGER_HAMMER!

I will hit autozone up this morning!

Duh, no CEL.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 9:10:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm chatting with a tech and he said IACV would not prevent starting.

I started removing what I thought was the IACV but it was oozing a thick light colored oil and THAT didn't look good! Wiped it down and put it back.

Glad I have other rides.
View Quote
Been out of the loop for a couple of days. Not sure what you removed that had oil in it, but I do not think it was the Idle Control Valve. Contrary to what the tech says, a bad or IACV can cause a no start. Especially if the spark plugs have some miles on them. Here is a picture of the IACV, it should be attached to the side of the throttle body.

https://www.rockauto.com/info/903/2H1110__ra_p.jpg
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If you have a 2000 civic there should be a port.  It’s required to have it.  I think it was 1996 when the feds required it. Just because you don’t have a check engine light does not mean that you don’t have any codes in the computer.  Also your car does not run so it would be hard for it to display the light while it’s running.

Scanning the computer would be one of the first things a tech would do if you took it to a shop.

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/location-obdii-port-2000-civic-dx-1-6-a-68559/
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What SanAngelo Said.

You don't have to have a CEL on to have diagnostic codes for problems.

Everything 1996 & later has ODBII (Federal Requirement).   Honda made it a b!tch to find (my daughters Civic you'd need to be a double joined acrobat to find & access it - but it IS there)

Wish I had more to add to help you get your Honda on the Highway.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 12:39:14 PM EDT
[#32]
FWIW, an OBD-II scanner is something worthwhile to have even if you aren't an active mechanic.  The Cen-Tech one that Harbor Freight sells isn't the best but it is under $40, and works OK, especially for older cars like late 1990s to early 2000s.  Places like Auto Zone will scan for you, but that does you little good if the car is stuck in your garage or driveway and won't start.  And even if you only need to use it a couple times a year, it is nice not to have to borrow one.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 3:17:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Hotdog(in my best Miss LouAnn voice)! Now I can get going on fixing this bitch.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:25:01 AM EDT
[#34]
I got a scanner so that's the job for today. Afterwhich I'll replace the radiator in my truck, ugh!
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Checked, no codes. For laughs I tried to start it; it almost caught. I tried again but it only spun. . I got out quickly and smelled fuel so that's a good sign.

I will have a trailer available on Thursday in case I can't get it done.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 6:50:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Count away but just don't hold your breath. Thursday is a loooong time from now.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 2:54:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Clogged catalytic converter. I was advised to pull the o2 sensor and it will start, and it did.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 8:38:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Clogged catalytic converter. I was advised to pull the o2 sensor and it will start, and it did.
View Quote
If it were 4 years older you could just pound the cat out or straight pipe it.  Well, I guess if you aren't in a smog check county you still can, otherwise you'll need to get a new cat.  Aftermarket ones are a whole lot cheaper than Honda OEM I'm sure.  Just checked on eBay, looks like you can get an aftermarket one for under $100, and they look like they are bolt-in so you wouldn't need to do any welding.  That makes it a fairly easy DIY project.  Getting the old one off will be the hard part.  I often just cut the bolts with a bolt cutter or grind them off and just use new bolts when I put the new part on.  For exhaust they rarely come off easy and often break anyway.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:05:32 PM EDT
[#40]
My indy beemer shop is on my shit list now. Their response when asked(bring it over, we'll give you $300 for it). Another generic indy tech didn't miss a beat: clogged cat, not allowing compression! I'm about ready to spit the beemer tit!

When the rain stops I'll be doing some wrenching. Or maybe some towing!

Thanks for all the thoughts & prayers!
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:06:09 PM EDT
[#41]
My indy beemer shop is on my shit list now. Their response when asked(bring it over, we'll give you $300 for it). Another generic indy tech didn't miss a beat: clogged cat, not allowing compression! I'm about ready to spit the beemer tit!

When the rain stops I'll be doing some wrenching. Or maybe some towing!

Thanks for all the thoughts & prayers!
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:17:45 PM EDT
[#42]
This may not be the most useful video but it can help give you the basic idea on what your going to need to do to replace it.

https://youtu.be/DIMGchwkxrg

The only other help I can offer is to not get a universal fit unit.  Try to get a direct fit one.  It will make your life much easier if your going to do it yourself.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:11:54 AM EDT
[#43]
That's exactly what I needed sanangelo. All the vids I've seen show the tube type cat which is NOT what I have.

This morning we're replacing the radiator on my truck(my main transport)then I can start on the Honda. I'm still debating on whether to try this myself or not.

Thanks guy.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:04:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That's exactly what I needed sanangelo. All the vids I've seen show the tube type cat which is NOT what I have.

This morning we're replacing the radiator on my truck(my main transport)then I can start on the Honda. I'm still debating on whether to try this myself or not.

Thanks guy.
View Quote
The only other info that I have experience with in dealing with cats is if you can get a OEM cat for only a small amount more get that one.  I have had issues and seen issues with universal / generic ones in the past causing check emerge lights that can keep you from getting your smog check done.

Good luck
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks sanangelo. I'll be going through RockAuto since I just returned the radiator I bought from amazon. It looked nothing like the picture online AND the bottom was taped which indicated to me someone else had made the same mistake.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top