Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2022 5:00:20 PM EDT
I'm looking to buy a property in Hohenwald just down the road from the airstrip. Is there anything I should be aware of or to be wary of in this area? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 6:41:08 AM EDT
[#1]
How do you feel about hippies and communes?
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 10:23:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd rather not have anything to do with them but my wife loves the house and it has everything I want. What I'm worried about is crime more than anything. We will be located about 15 to 20 minutes outside of town and when we saw the area for the first time it looked rather clean and well kept. We go for the house inspection tomorrow. Also, is Snappy's pizza any good?
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 5:41:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Snappys is ok. So is the junk yard dog.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 6:35:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, I'm glad to hear it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#5]
The tex-mex place in town is pretty good.

So, the wife and I bought, and resold, a house in Hohenwald a few years back.

It's a neat little town. It has all the problems you'd expect. But what it doesn't have is any sort of industry or easy connection to bigger industrial areas. There's a reason homes and land are cheaper there than, say, 30 miles to the east.

We have toyed with moving out that way. But we won't do it. Might make a great location for a second home, but if you're going to make a living there, you have to either work from home or commute a long way, unless you have some sort of foolproof business model for the local area.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 12:13:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The tex-mex place in town is pretty good.

So, the wife and I bought, and resold, a house in Hohenwald a few years back.

It's a neat little town. It has all the problems you'd expect. But what it doesn't have is any sort of industry or easy connection to bigger industrial areas. There's a reason homes and land are cheaper there than, say, 30 miles to the east.

We have toyed with moving out that way. But we won't do it. Might make a great location for a second home, but if you're going to make a living there, you have to either work from home or commute a long way, unless you have some sort of foolproof business model for the local area.
View Quote

Thanks arowneragain, I am retired and have a decent pension. We have conversed in the past. My wife would like to find employment just for something to do and she loves the house. I like it enough to go ahead with the purchase. There is just enough land and a pond to be interesting to me and it's much closer to town that where we are now in Lynnville. I have made quite a few friends here in Lynnville but we will only be 40 minutes away so it's not a huge move away from them. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks arowneragain, I am retired and have a decent pension. We have conversed in the past. My wife would like to find employment just for something to do and she loves the house. I like it enough to go ahead with the purchase. There is just enough land and a pond to be interesting to me and it's much closer to town that where we are now in Lynnville. I have made quite a few friends here in Lynnville but we will only be 40 minutes away so it's not a huge move away from them. Thanks again.
View Quote

Oh! I remember now.

If you're retired, Hohenwald would be awesome. Also, there's a ton of pubic hunting access if you like that sort of thing. Buffalo river, too, for fishing.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Oh! I remember now.

If you're retired, Hohenwald would be awesome. Also, there's a ton of pubic hunting access if you like that sort of thing. Buffalo river, too, for fishing.
View Quote

Buffalo river fishing, now were talkin'! I haven't cast a lure since I retired three years ago. Plus I think the pond is stocked or it will be anyway. I'm going from 17+ acres down to just under 7 acres but most of it forested and flatter than the hill were are on now so I will still have my "Woods" and she has the house she wants. It's a compromise but for my own peace of mind were doing it. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Well things aren't always what they seem. We just got back from the inspection and the house failed terribly. Some of the work performed was very good but some in critical area's was poorly done and even dangerous. I had to walk away from it. The search renews again! Thanks for the replies guys, you were very helpful. As a side note " Los Hermanos" is an excellent restaurant across the street from "Snappy's" which was our first choice but was closed Mondays and Tuesdays.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 2:07:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Los Hermanos is terrible. Nothing was good about it. I think Casa Grande is better but I can't do their crunchy ground beef tacos, too greasy. Another option for food is Lewis & Clarke's Restaurant (across from Junk Yard dog).

I'm in Hohenwald every Sunday. Typically a day or two during the week as well. I haven't seen much as far as crime, hippies, or communes. Some sketchy looking folks but you find that everywhere.

Granted I live 20min away but I haven't seen anything terrible, and yes there is no big hub for business. I have no idea how the people in the area afford new vehicles and everything considering the local job market.

Link Posted: 10/27/2022 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Don’t expect professionalism from so-called “professionals.”

This goes for electricians, contractors, masons, well-drillers, plumbers…

Maybe it’s just me, but for the past seven years it has been like pulling teeth to get anyone to come out when they’ve said they would.

Well company I spoke with in April promised to come out “that week, just give us a call” which I did, four times total, have never heard back once from them.

Masons? Took close to two years to find someone to pour a slab to put up a steel garage kit.

We broke ground on a cabin back in January, contractor has little to no organizational/logistics skills, finish date went from Sept-Oct to Christmas to maybe this coming spring.

All I did was ask the electrician for a PROPOSAL, you know, a LIST, an estimate, not just a “$24,800 for everything” text message.

I fired one guy who started the garage slab project, then disappeared for a month up to Michigan for a deer hunt. He threatened to kill me.  Sheriff’s cousin, so nothing came of it.

Next three masons I had come out to look at the site said (and I quote) “Who was this guy again” or “what did he think he was doing?”  Wrong materials, stone, steel, drain/pipe and so on.

Good news was, the Amish guy I hired got it done at HALF the cost quoted by the two who bothered to show up.

Further good news is, we also bought the 17 acres next door, it has a well, I had pipe laid in from well head to cabin site last year (along with underground electrical from the main road), the guy who did the trenching was good, on time, called back, miracle of miracles, found the schedule 40 pipe and got the job done only to wait about 3 months for the local co-op to get the transformer, wire, and schedule the installation.

I go down for two weeks, run 150ft of extension cord to my barndomnium and pay about $15 for electricity vs hundreds for gas generators.

Other than that, it’s a nice place, looking forward to full-time residency in a couple months.

Norm
Hampshire, TN

PS: I know all about solar, inverter, battery, well pumps, pressure tanks, boost pumps and have everything except the HDPE pipe to connect the new pump after I pull the old one. That’s more off-grid than I wanted to be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top