Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2020 2:19:17 PM EDT
Just curious if anyone is seeing wild hogs in Kansas. Buddy of mine was cutting wood on his place near chanute, Ks and saw/shot 2 hogs.

Kansas regs are no license required, hunt on own land only. Land owners can apply for AG permit to allow someone else to kill hogs on their land.

I knew hogs were popular in Texas/Oklahoma, but these were the first two id even heard about in Kansas.

Kinda like a Texas turkey, now a days armadillos are everywhere here. Unheard when I was a kid, and even twenty years ago, a random road kill was all I ever saw.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw a huge one (dead) in a ditch on some public land north of Perry Lake.  Perry is only about 30 minutes north of Lawrence.

Hate to say, but looking forward to the day the population grows up here and hoping both KS and MO conservation departments start allowing the use of NV and Thermal for these animals and coyotes.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Amen to NV!
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 3:15:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I’ve never seen one, but there’s a guy who traps them for the county (Chautauqua on the OK border) and he had 33 dead hogs in the bed of his pickup last time I saw him, all caught in our county.

They’re around, especially here close to the Indian Territory.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Can they survive our winters?

I've always heard that Kansas won't let you hunt them because they don't want it to turn into an industry like Texas and Oklahoma. Meaning, guys intentionally bringing hogs on their land and making money letting people hunt them, thus spreading them.

I'd hate to think what they would do to agriculture if they really got loose up here. North Central KS)
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 1:01:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I was at a soil conservation dinner last year and the state did a presentation on invasive hogs.  In my are of SE Kansas they are common across the border in OK and just making inroads in this part of our state. I imagine the hog generals are marshaling their forces.  The states decision on hunting has already been discussed and in general I'm alright with it, land owners can kill like the good lord intended others not so much.

The one of the two guys from the state was also a "hunter", showed great video of shooting from a helicopter with night vision.  Their plan seems to be around eliminating the entire herd, sounder, whatever it's called.  They set up cameras in areas knows to have hogs, lay bait for a while then place a round drop pin.  After they know the number of hogs in the group the use cellular game cameras to watch bait locations, when all hogs are under the pin they drop it.  Hogs go wild.

One of the old widow at the dinner ask what they do with the hogs they catch.   The guy laughed and said, "well, we don't let then go again that's for sure"  everyone laughed but the old biddy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top