Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2021 5:33:02 PM EDT
For those living under a rock. Hurricane warnings and storm surge warnings have gone up for Milford/New Haven and areas east in the last half hour. Lesser warnings are up for areas west of Milford.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
https://spaghettimodels.com/
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m in breezy point NY the waves are big but it’s really nice out so I’ll stay another day Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 8:12:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Edit -  bad place for this post, sorry. Stay safe yall!
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 8:48:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Lisbon checking in. Probably a nothing burger but, if anyone needs anything, put it here.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#4]
This could get sporty. Tolland has had 20+ inches of rain in something like 40 days. Soil isnt gonna take much to start seeing surface flooding and standing water everywhere. Ground is already softened up from the 5”+ of rain we saw yesterday in just 3-4 hours. Probably wont take much wind to start pushing trees over.

My sister works at Eversource and they are going apeshit. All vacations canceled, crews on their way from everywhere. IIRC they are capable of pulling together something like 1900 crews inhouse and they are already ramped up to 4000 crews after drawing in from ConEdison and other utilites around the country.

They are anticipating up to 49% of customers to lose power. With outages lasting up to 10 days. (As of about 5 pm today)

New CEO and fresh off their lawsuit. Well see how they step it up. I like the new CEO from what Ive seen from a production standpoint.

Goodluck everybody.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They are anticipating up to 49% of customers to lose power. With outages lasting up to 10 days. (As of about 5 pm today)

View Quote

Great. Sandy and Irene again.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Full moon on 8/22

Gird your loins coastal could get hairy

I’m at 1000 ft of elevation so flooding isn’t my concern

Flying toys and big wheels are a major threat

GET YOUR FRENCH TOAST SUPPLIES !
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#7]
There was still plenty of bread and milk at S&S tonight.

The cart & hippo I was stuck behind getting out of there had no fewer than 6 gallons of water, 1 24 pack of TP, 6 bags of boutique potato chips, 2 gallons of milk, and 3 loaves of bread (not the pre-sliced kind). No eggs, no maple syrup... heathen.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#8]
No flooding concerns here. Supplies are well stocked. The Monday commute to Providence might be sporty if there are trees down through Pachaug.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

And the idiot politicians are probably already lined up with their media soundbites to bitch and moan about how long it takes for power to be restored the second the power goes out. They ALWAYS complain about slow response after every storm and demand investigations and that the company pay. Of course the company doesn't really pay, its customers ultimately due through rate hikes.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I am right outside the sub base on the Groton/Ledyard line. If the current track holds were going to get some pretty strong winds coupled with more rain. Ground is pretty soft here and many large trees...we'll see how it goes.

Have a couple things to tidy up in the yard tomorrow but pretty well set. Will run the generator for a bit and check the oil too. Probably make a grocery run early before it gets wild.

Eta: If anyone needs a hand down this way, let me know...
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 3:38:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

Town of Groton asking some residents on certain streets to evacuate.

Stay safe everyone.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 8:59:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And the idiot politicians are probably already lined up with their media soundbites to bitch and moan about how long it takes for power to be restored the second the power goes out. They ALWAYS complain about slow response after every storm and demand investigations and that the company pay. Of course the company doesn't really pay, its customers ultimately due through rate hikes.
View Quote
The complaints are warranted. Eversource charges high as fuck rates with abysmal service. I could take a shit and make more reliable electricity with my own shit than the shit that eversource uses, holy fucking shit.

(There's a gif, everyone else has power restored, CT remains out because Evershit.)
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 9:31:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The complaints are warranted.
View Quote

In some cases yes it is, in other cases its just people bitching who don't understand how many miles of wire, poles and transformers utility companies have to deal with and restore when they're nocked down by trees and what not. Pole climbers and trucks are a finite resource and the cooperative agreements with other companies to bring in pole climbers can only bring in so many bodies and so many trucks. Spread them all out and it looks like nothing is being done as power is slowly restored. Of course all those extra bodies and trucks cost money so someone has to pay for it. Doesn't help when they do get around to trying to cut back the occasional tree (and other stuff) from lines and polls and people bitch about trees being cut down or that huge birds nest being removed from the pole. These problems will always persist with lines above ground and lots and lots of trees to bring those lines down. Politicians will always bitch and demand committees investigate so they seem relevant, utility companies make easy targets to focus everyone's anger and hatred upon even when certain complaints are not warranted due to factors beyond the control of utility companies. (Edit to add: Other times the utility company is absolutely at fault for having a poorly thought out or implemented disaster response or for cutting so many pole climbers that there are few to be called in during major storms. People want cheap but then bitch when to get that cheap rate people who fix poles and string lines are cut so they are not there to quickly fix things that break all over at once.)
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 10:25:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Politicians don't have a real job; they just like to hear themselves talk. All their posturing and complaining is to get the idiots to vote for them and line their pockets.

People love to complain about stuff they no nothing about. Do you know what it takes to rebuild after a storm? The company wants you back online. You use electricity, they make no money if you are not using any. They prioritize restoration. Hospitals, nursing homes, emergency services get top priority, then businesses, then easiest stuff to get maximum residences back online. Last is the stuff where one house comes back. Setting a pole, mounting transformers, etc all takes time.

If you can't survive 5 or 6 days without electricity then get a generator. This is New England, our power lines are above ground and subjected to damage from trees, branches and wind. We have hurricanes, nor'easter, heavy snowfall and lots of trees. Things can go wrong.

I hate not having my A/C or heat working during a power outage. I do not like inconvenience, so I have a generator. I keep enough fuel on hand to run it for 7-10 days. I also have enough food and supplies to last way longer than a week.

Be safe and put away you patio furniture and loose junk in the yard.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#15]
My biggest gripe with them is the tree trimming.  

They went thru a few months back with a full tree cutting crew & chipper.  
2 guys walked the road with pole saws. Trimming tiny ass branches off completely dead trees.  WTF??
Not the 1st time either.
Cut the whole thing down!  

I'm talking state property.  Along major roadways.

I look out my window and can see atleast 8 dead & completely bare full grown ash trees.  All within a foot of the lines and on state property along the highway.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#16]
At a hotel in Suffern,NY. This is part of the parking lot. I count ~75 and there's more across the street. All the same contractor, from Alabama.

Eta: Another contractor pulled in ,next door, with 50-60 more trucks.

To the right of the second pic, they have 3 trailers full of tools. There's a line of guys handing out boxes of tools.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Madison beach area is being evacuated.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 3:53:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Madison beach area is being evacuated.
View Quote

Supposedly everyone south of Boston Post Road (Route 1) in Madison is under an evac order by the town.

https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticut/list-of-ct-shoreline-towns-recommending-evacuations-ahead-of-henri/

List of CT shoreline towns recommending evacuations, opening shelters ahead of Henri

Shoreline towns across Connecticut are sounding the alarm and giving evacuation orders or recommendations for residents living near the Long Island Sound. The state of Connecticut is also under a state of emergency.

The following towns have evacuation orders or recommendations in place ahead of Hurricane Henri’s arrival:

East Lyme: Voluntary evacuation for flood-prone areas of town. Images of zones and details are on the East Lyme Public Safety Facebook page. There will be a pet-friendly emergency shelter at East Lyme Middle School, opening at 6 p.m. Saturday.

Groton: Voluntary evacuations begin at 10 p.m. Saturday for some streets.

Madison: The Board of Selectmen has issued a Declaration of Emergency. A Mandatory Emergency Evacuation Order has been issued for all residents south of Boston Post Road (Route 1). Impacted residents must evacuate by 9 p.m. Saturday. Residents who live outside the evacuation zone but are in an area prone to flooding are recommended to prepare for evacuation. The town shelter will be at the Town Campus Gym, opening at 5 p.m. Saturday; can accommodate pets.

Old Saybrook: Affected residents are recommended to evacuate North of Interstate-95 with friends, family, or a hotel, or to seek shelter at Old Saybrook High School, starting at 7 p.m. Saturday. Pets are allowed on a first come first served basis. Bring three days’ worth of necessities, including masks, clothes, medicine, hygiene products, pillow, blanket. Click here for more details and map of affected neighborhoods.

New Haven: Officials are recommending evacuations in certain parts of the city, and there will be shelters and areas of refuge available.

New London: Winthrop School will be a shelter opening at 6 p.m. Saturday. Food will not be served Saturday but will be served Sunday. Bring important documents and papers, two changes of clothes, blanket, pillow, toiletries, cash, earplugs for sleeping. Pets are allowed; bring proof of rabies shot and pet food. Crates are on site, but bring cats in their carriers.

Westport: Residents in flood-prone areas can move their vehicles to Saugatuck Avenue Train Station Lot # 8.

Here are some additional advisories outside the shoreline:

The City of Hartford has designated several parking lots available to residents that they can bring their cars to higher ground.

State campgrounds will be closed from Aug. 21 at 4 p.m. until at least Monday afternoon on Aug. 23.

Keep checking back throughout the weekend for more information on evacuations.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top