Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2021 9:51:15 AM EDT
Broke a screw head on my sig rattler upper and I've tried everything to get it out. I don't have a drill press though so I was wondering If anyone could possibly help me out and recommend someone who could help get this screw out. It's a small screw... I'm in the jackson county area, about 30 miles east of kansas city.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Will the other screw come out so you can take the part off, exposing more of the broken screw shaft? If enough shaft is exposed, grab with pliers. If you didn't cross thread, the screw might come out by pressing your finger against it and twisting. Might be able to take an o-ring pick and work it out. Small centerpunch and hammer to work it out. Superglue or epoxy a small nut to it.

If the part the screw is in is aluminum, warming the part with a hair dryer out heat gun might help.

Try all these things before removing any metal.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:38:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Lifetime warranty through Sig?
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 11:04:40 PM EDT
[#4]
While we're on this topic, how does one remove a stuck bolt in a Lee Enfield #4 Mk1 buttstock?  I have a bubba'd rifle and wanted to put on a synthetic stock but I can't get the damn thing out!
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 1:01:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will the other screw come out so you can take the part off, exposing more of the broken screw shaft? If enough shaft is exposed, grab with pliers. If you didn't cross thread, the screw might come out by pressing your finger against it and twisting. Might be able to take an o-ring pick and work it out. Small centerpunch and hammer to work it out. Superglue or epoxy a small nut to it.

If the part the screw is in is aluminum, warming the part with a hair dryer out heat gun might help.

Try all these things before removing any metal.
View Quote

I would try this first. If the screw is exposed, but won't come out by hand, a pair of vice grips should do the trick.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 1:04:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm in Farmington, and I have a vertical mill, if you are near...
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 1:21:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Snap Shots in NKC and Arms Mart in Independence have in house gunsmiths.

As stated above, it looks like you can remove the other screw. Then remove the part and enough of the broke one will be exposed to get off with pliers.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:08:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Having worked on cars over the years, usually once the head breaks off, it will relieve the thread tension and unless you put some threadlock on the screw, it should unscrew quite easily. Just get a small flat blade screwdriver, like is used as a pocket screwdriver, unless you need smaller. Then some of those small/minature precision steel  screwdrivers and a small hobby hammer and try and get a bite on the screw and gently keep tapping while unscrewing the screw.

Next course of action is to get a small center punch and hit center of screw, so that when you drill into screw it won't go off center and mess up the outer edges of something else. Then use an easy-out extractor.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:15:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Having worked on cars over the years, usually once the head breaks off, it will relieve the thread tension and unless you put some threadlock on the screw, it should unscrew quite easily. Just get a small flat blade screwdriver, like is used as a pocket screwdriver, unless you need smaller. Then some of those small/minature precision steel  screwdrivers and a small hobby hammer and try and get a bite on the screw and gently keep tapping while unscrewing the screw.

Next course of action is to get a small center punch and hit center of screw, so that when you drill into screw it won't go off center and mess up the outer edges of something else. Then use an easy-out extractor.
View Quote

I just brought it too a gunsmith. I think his name was Chad or Fred.. but he used to work at The Armory in Independence before they closed down. And yeah, it had quite a bit of thread locker on it. If he can't get it out i'm debating just sending it back to sig so if they fuck it up it's on their dime. Haven't heard great things about their customer service though so I'm trying to avoid that.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm in Farmington, and I have a vertical mill, if you are near...
View Quote

i totally would have took you up on that offer if I saw it sooner. I should probably just invest in a drill press. I would probably save money in the long run
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top