Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2021 1:58:08 PM EDT
Storm last week with high winds and I've found a few shingles in my yard, a few hanging off the side of the roof along with an unhinged piece of siding. Might be worse, but this is what I "can see" from the ground. Ahhh....the joys of home ownership!!

The roof is about 9 years old so it looks like I'm in need of some repair at a minimum.

If anyone here could recommend a good roofing company/contractor it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 2:32:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Marshall is well thought of...and supposedly their employees are actual W-2 employees...unlike many companies who solicit for hail damage business.  

There is one working my neighborhood right now who seems to tell everyone they have a valid hail damage claim, regardless of how much of a stretch it is.  Then, after the homeowner files, the claim is on their record for 5-7 years, even if their insurance company denies the claim.  Hey, no problem for the company, but you might not enjoy the higher rates that might follow.  And if the insurance is willing to pay something, these guys find out how much and then outsource the job for far less to a group of illegals with nail guns.

I'm sure there are other good companies.  Just be careful with your research.  Many people recommend a company that gets them a free roof with little to no idea of the quality of the materials used or the job.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Another suggestion for Marshall roofing.
They’ve done roofs for us on a couple of houses over the years.

First was maybe 10 years ago on a townhouse. The estimator actually got on the roof, did his thing, climbed back down to his truck to get a hammer and nails to fix a loose piece of trim he noticed.

When we put a roof on the single family we’re in now about 18 months ago we got three estimates, Marshall being one of them. Their customer service before the estimate was better, prices were right in the middle of the other two.  And the estimator from back when was still working for them, going on 30 years I think the lady said.

Very pleased with both experiences, would recommend.

HTH
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Stay away from Smart Roof.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:20:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I lost about ten shingles off my roof about three years ago. I got three estimates. I expected somebody would want to replace the roof being it’s about 15 years old. I got estimate from summit roofing (recommended by co-worker), katchmark (recommended by father in law) and I can’t recall who the third company was. The third company was way over priced when comparing the other two. Both summit and katchmark said the roof did not need to be replaced, just replace the section of shingles that came off. Both estimates seemed reasonable and were within a $100 of each other. Went with katchmark. They did a good job and the patch has held so far.

Another note on katchmark. Had them come out to check a leak in the bathroom ceiling. Turned out not a roof issue but told me what the issue was even though they don’t deal with the issue. There was no charge for coming out and figuring out what the issue was. But I called them last summer for an estimate to replace an attic fan that was not working. The guy that showed up was not the same guy I had been dealing with in the past. First thing out of the new sales guy was, “so you need a new roof”. This was before he even climbed up in the roof. I explained his company had just been out three years ago and said I did not need a new roof for at least 7 more years. He quickly changed his approach to what I had called him out for. He recommended removing the attic fan along with a large section of the roof where the fan was. His estimate seemed really high and the work he was recommending did not seem fully needed. So two out three experiences with them was positive, the last one not so much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top