Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2021 2:09:05 PM EDT
Hey all,

I'm wanting to do a solo vacation to get away for a few days/ week from the Greater New Orleans area... a coworker mentioned Helen, GA and it looks pretty quaint and pretty interesting to me.

I'm wondering if anyone could point me in the directions of some interesting things to do in the semi local area besides eat and drink beer. (a lot of that will happen)

Any good shooting courses or training in the area?
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:09:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Helen is a fake Bavarian village with some tourist attractions.   That said, there are some decent bar/restaurants along the river and a couple of good German restaurants.  My favorite is Bodensee https://bodenseerestaurant.com/

Helen is in the foothills of the Appalachians and there are a lot of scenic attractions in the area and good hiking if you're into that.   Anna Ruby falls is handicap accessible and only a few miles away.

Dahlonaga Georgia is genuinely quaint and is not too far away.  It is the site of the first American Gold rush.

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:54:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What he said. Its a tourist trap though not without some charm.
View Quote

I've been to Helen once with friends for Oktoberfest and had a good time. At one of the gift shops the cashier basically said the same thing to my friends and I. I thought it was a bit odd at the time but I see it now.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 7:15:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been once, it was nice.  There are some interesting shops lining the main drag.  Nice scenery and pretty relaxing in my opinion.  We visited Brasstown Bald which is a mountain top that is the highest point in Georgia.  It's just a little north of Helen and the scenery is amazing.  

It's worth visiting if you need to relax and decompress in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 11:40:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Pretty much all of the above is solid advice.

I’ve spent many a night every Spring at the “Helendump”  (actual name, Helendorf) hotel. I used to work a weeklong pro photographer school hosted at North Georgia Tech in Clarksville and stayed at the Helendump. Actually it’s a basic hotel, some of the bigger rooms have a in bedroom jacuzzi. Bring your own Lysol. Their ground floor River front rooms may or may not have survived the recent flooding of the Chatthochie River.

IIRC we had an GHTF  guy working in Helen, @jace
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 10:48:52 AM EDT
[#6]
My family has visited there every March for the last 30 years.  

Bodensee is amazing German food as stated above.  

Last time I was there we ate at Spice 55 Thai twice as it was really good.

Big Daddys has pretty good food and drinks.

I always hit up the Old Bavaria Inn for a few beers while the kids and wife hit the dreck stores.

King Ludwig Biergarten is a great place to sit and listen to music, people watch, and catch a buzz on expensive but good beer.

Go hike up to Anna Ruby Falls at Unicoi(not challenging).

For more of a challenge hike up Yonah Mtn.

For the most challenging go up to Vogel State Park or hike up to Brasstown Bald from the AT.

Link Posted: 8/26/2021 1:48:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Go hike up to Anna Ruby Falls at Unicoi(not challenging).

For more of a challenge hike up Yonah Mtn.

For the most challenging go up to Vogel State Park or hike up to Brasstown Bald from the AT.

View Quote

With all the rain lately, Yonah's trail from the meadow to the upper road has gotta be a complete train-wreck.  Though the view is among the best in all of Georgia.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Their ground floor River front rooms may or may not have survived the recent flooding of the Chatthochie River.

View Quote

My spies inform me the river got to the step just below the main floor of the Troll.  IIRC that is below the hotel by several feet.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 3:07:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My spies inform me the river got to the step just below the main floor of the Troll.  IIRC that is below the hotel by several feet.
View Quote

Your spies are correct.
There are several foot paths and a couple of hikes that could be done
I sat in a lounge chair in the river below the main bridge and drank all afternoon 2 weeks ago. Had a good time pushing tubers out of my space.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 3:36:34 PM EDT
[#10]
There's nothing in Helen for a lone guy. It's a tourist trap and the food sucks and they all have the same boring beer on tap. My harem goes up several times through the summer and fall to do tubing so I have time to wander around solo.

Brasstown Bald is worth an afternoon visit and not too far from Helen.

Drive another 2 hours to Asheville. Sure they're weird but there's a lot of good food and beer.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Pretty much all of the above is solid advice.

I’ve spent many a night every Spring at the “Helendump”  (actual name, Helendorf) hotel. I used to work a weeklong pro photographer school hosted at North Georgia Tech in Clarksville and stayed at the Helendump. Actually it’s a basic hotel, some of the bigger rooms have a in bedroom jacuzzi. Bring your own Lysol. Their ground floor River front rooms may or may not have survived the recent flooding of the Chatthochie River.

IIRC we had an GHTF  guy working in Helen, @jace
View Quote

I was the assistant chief up there, but I’ve since left the law enforcement career for a much better life lol
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Had a fun time in Helen earlier this year.....this was a blast.

https://www.nacoocheeadventures.com/
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 10:36:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Lots of hiking. Mt Yonah is nice, about 45 minutes to the top. Plenty of other hikes. Lots of nice waterfalls too.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Helen is fun if you want to get drunk and hunt MILFs. That's about it.
I live 15 minutes from Helen. Are you into camping? Hit west fork camp ground off Warwoman in Rabun instead. Clayton is more fun - like Asheville in Ga.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top