Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2018 4:44:54 PM EDT
So, I get to spend two weeks in Des Moines, specifically staying in West Des Moines.  Any IA or city specific gun laws to be aware of?  Gun transport laws or keeping a firearm in your car?  I live in MO near Kansas City.

Any good guns shops or pawn shops to check out?  Cool stores?

Maybe some good places to eat?  Doing Keto so I need to be careful.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:58:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Haven't lived there for a few years but if there's anything that Des Moines is good for it's good food and libtard bullshit.  If you're doing Keto you might try Jethro’s BBQ ‘N Bacon Bacon on 22 ST just north of I235.  You can check the reviews on Yelp.  YMMV.  As I said there are TONS of good places to eat.  Hopefully others will chime in that are from the area..

As far as gun shops there are quite a few in the Des Moines area.  Some of the other guys on here can name them off better than me.

Check the tacked thread at the top of the Iowa Hometown Forum for a complete rundown of Iowa gun laws.

Have a safe and happy visit!
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:27:04 PM EDT
[#2]
There's a gun show at the fair grounds this weekend if you're here then.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 2:54:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess an important question on gun laws would be do you have a carry permit? That will define what laws pertain to you?
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 1:27:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Haven't lived there for a few years but if there's anything that Des Moines is good for it's good food and libtard bullshit.  If you're doing Keto you might try Jethro’s BBQ ‘N Bacon Bacon on 22 ST just north of I235.  You can check the reviews on Yelp.  YMMV.  As I said there are TONS of good places to eat.  Hopefully others will chime in that are from the area..

As far as gun shops there are quite a few in the Des Moines area.  Some of the other guys on here can name them off better than me.

Check the tacked thread at the top of the Iowa Hometown Forum for a complete rundown of Iowa gun laws.

Have a safe and happy visit!
View Quote
...and the world is a much sadder place because of it...
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 1:05:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

...and the world is a much sadder place because of it...
View Quote
And there you have it.  From a committee of one!  
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 1:05:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Tonight Septic reminded me that Steak DeBurgo originated in Des Moines, as he bastardized the concept by putting garnish and sauce on a hamburger.

Johnny's Italian Steakhouse on Fleur by the airport had a decent one about four years ago when I was last there, but I can't speak to them now.  My opinion was that Gino's made my favorite, but alas, they are no longer in business.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tonight Septic reminded me that Steak DeBurgo originated in Des Moines, as he bastardized the concept by putting garnish and sauce on a hamburger.

Johnny's Italian Steakhouse on Fleur by the airport had a decent one about four years ago when I was last there, but I can't speak to them now.  My opinion was that Gino's made my favorite, but alas, they are no longer in business.
View Quote
Keep in mind that he has inhaled copious amounts of Cerakote vapor over the past few years.  I'm surprised that he hasn't turned Democrat.  

Hey OP, you might want to try Twin Peaks.  Right next to the Barnes and Noble store on University AVE in West Des Moines.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 1:16:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Best I've run across is at Louie's Wine Dive at 42nd and University.  It's the closest thing I've found to the old Johnnie's Vets Club in Valley Junction.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 11:07:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So, I get to spend two weeks in Des Moines, specifically staying in West Des Moines.  Any IA or city specific gun laws to be aware of?  Gun transport laws or keeping a firearm in your car?  I live in MO near Kansas City.

Any good guns shops or pawn shops to check out?  Cool stores?

Maybe some good places to eat?  Doing Keto so I need to be careful.

Thanks!
View Quote
Hang out with @slims_88 as he is originally from the KC area and now lives in Des Moines.

Pawn shops in DSM suck, I wouldn’t waste my time. There are decent gun shops and even ranges (indoor and outdoor) all around the city and outside of it. We have Scheels in West Des Moines and Bass Pro in Altoona which is just east on 80.  If your up for a trip 30ish minutes east  of Des Moines is Brownells in Grinnell.

If you head towards Jordan creek there are tons of good places to eat. Iowa machine Shed if your looking for classic Iowa home cooking is right off the interstate on Hickman. Lots of BBQ places to choose from.

Need anything else just ask, I am there weekly.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Rangemasters is in Clive, just off Hickman. Des Moines metro area is fucking tiny compared to KC. If you're in West Des Moines, you can be downtown at the capitol in about 15 minutes. Everything here is close.

I'm going shooting Sunday around noon. Hit me up if you're interested. They have machine gun rentals there.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 11:14:27 AM EDT
[#11]
If you have your carry permit, you can carry anything open or concealed. Signs on businesses carry no weight of law, so short of a metal detector, nothing is stopping you. NFA friendly state except for machine guns and DD's. If you have SBR's, SBS's, or suppressors, they're good to go here as long as your travel paperwork with the ATF is in order.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Enjoy your stay-

You could always check out CrossRoads indoor range.   Just across I-80 & Merle Hay Road in Johnston.

Joe
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#13]
JT Guns
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Did someone say DeBurgo...
Latin King has a great DeBurgo... But I also love a cream sauce DeBurgo.
Which has eluded me so far in town.
Chef's Kitchen has a decent one... Please tell me someone is holding out
on the Ultimate cream sauce Deburgo somewhere
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 10:25:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Would love to get to Brownells, but from West Des Moines it looks like it is an hour each way, so by the time I got out of work, it would be too late.  They close at 6.  I get out at five but might see if the boss would let me leave at 4 one day to get out there.  The problem is I might buy stuff!

Checked out Scheels tonight, going to try and hit some tomorrow, might have to hit some on the next week, go home over the weekend and have Friday off.

Looks like the closest I can get to before closing are Get Some Guns, Hansen Arms, and JT Guns.  I might try to get up to Sportsmans Warehouse, never been to one.

Looks like West Des Moines hit the jackpot on the government 'Diversity Immigration' program .  Was at Walmart on Mills Civic, not many speak English.  Even noticed a Middle Eastern food section.  How is crime in the area?

I did go to Coach's for pizza, eat just the toppings since doing keto, they were pretty good and reasonable.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 1:45:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Would love to get to Brownells, but from West Des Moines it looks like it is an hour each way, so by the time I got out of work, it would be too late.  They close at 6.  I get out at five but might see if the boss would let me leave at 4 one day to get out there.  The problem is I might buy stuff!

Checked out Scheels tonight, going to try and hit some tomorrow, might have to hit some on the next week, go home over the weekend and have Friday off.

Looks like the closest I can get to before closing are Get Some Guns, Hansen Arms, and JT Guns.  I might try to get up to Sportsmans Warehouse, never been to one.

Looks like West Des Moines hit the jackpot on the government 'Diversity Immigration' program .  Was at Walmart on Mills Civic, not many speak English.  Even noticed a Middle Eastern food section.  How is crime in the area?

I did go to Coach's for pizza, eat just the toppings since doing keto, they were pretty good and reasonable.
View Quote
If you go to Sportsmans Warehouse in Ankeny there is a restaurant there called Get Fit Grill that has a Keto menu in addition to their regular menu.

There's also a local gun shop named Rhine Group in the old town part of Ankeny.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 8:11:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
All the Walmarts here are gross. The last "nice" one was in Grimes. Now that one looks and sounds like a third world bus station like the rest of them. DSM is pretty safe. The East and South sides are the ghetto parts of town. WDM and surrounding suburbs are white bread worry-free safe.

Brownells is worth a trip for sure. Sportsmans warehouse is ok. Sometimes you can score some clearance deals, but it's mostly retail price on stuff. They have a good amount of gun stuff in there. Pretty standard selection of holsters and magazines.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 9:11:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I got approval to leave work early for a trip to Brownells, so will be headed there.  When I was in Sportsmans Warehouse, some dude was trying to do a straw purchase.  Instead of the clerk just saying no, he had to find his boss.  I just rolled my eyes.

I was hoping to find the American Gunner buckets of 6.5 Grendel, but they were all gone.  They did have 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.8 SPC, and 223.

I am thinking of another Coach's pizza when I go back this coming week.  Can't each the crust, but the topping is plentiful and good, lasts a couple of meals.

Saw the Machine Shed restaurant, place looks big.  Is Zombie Burger good?  Tacopocalypse?
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 2:17:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I got approval to leave work early for a trip to Brownells, so will be headed there.  When I was in Sportsmans Warehouse, some dude was trying to do a straw purchase.  Instead of the clerk just saying no, he had to find his boss.  I just rolled my eyes.

I was hoping to find the American Gunner buckets of 6.5 Grendel, but they were all gone.  They did have 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.8 SPC, and 223.

I am thinking of another Coach's pizza when I go back this coming week.  Can't each the crust, but the topping is plentiful and good, lasts a couple of meals.

Saw the Machine Shed restaurant, place looks big.  Is Zombie Burger good?  Tacopocalypse?
View Quote
Zombie Burger is good IMO but is very greasy.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top