Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2021 5:41:17 PM EDT
Going in November with the grandkids, can anyone tell me if I can carry in the park? Also, would there be a problem at Disney Springs Paddlefish restaurant?
Thanks in advance
Update… stayed at the Hilton lake buena vista. No problem carrying there, walked to Disney springs over pedestrian bridges and there was no security at all even in Paddlefish restaurant. Universal though as everyone said had tsa grade security so nothing at all, knife, pepper spray and ccw left in room safe. Felt naked but I did have my wand
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 6:30:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty sure CC is prohibited in ALL the theme parks.

Someone will come along shortly to confirm.

In before "concealed means concealed". Last thing you want is to get trespassed from a majority of the places and screw it up for the family. If for some odd reason you're discovered, they most likely will trespass you from all their associated properties.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#2]
They have metal detectors.  CC is a no go.  I went one time before they installed the detectors, and I guess I looked the part because a gentlemen came up to me and asked if I was carrying.  I said yes and he was very cool about it.  He said even though they aren't allowed on property, I could go back and put it in my car.  YMMV though.  Harry Potter is a cool place.  Disarm and enjoy the day with your grandkids.  Sucks but their rules
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 10:12:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, I was expecting that. I’ll be sure to at least carry a wand!
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 2:54:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 11:55:35 AM EDT
[#5]
You do have to go through metal detectors at Universal. Even for CityWalk. I don't remember going through any at Disney Springs, but it's been a few years since I've been there.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 12:57:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Okay, now that's a good one.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#7]
There have been numerous mentions here in the FL HTF that even at Disney Springs they are actively profiling and flat out asking if you are armed if they suspect it.  I also believe I’ve read here that they even have dogs that are able to detect firearms but I haven’t seen that firsthand and am not sure if that’s even a K9 skill (other than detecting burnt powder residue).  

As someone who doesn’t have kids and therefore could care less about theme parks this doesn’t affect me, but these policies suck.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I also believe I’ve read here that they even have dogs that are able to detect firearms but I haven’t seen that firsthand and am not sure if that’s even a K9 skill (other than detecting burnt powder residue).  
View Quote

Yes... that is a K9 function.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 10:59:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There have been numerous mentions here in the FL HTF that even at Disney Springs they are actively profiling and flat out asking if you are armed if they suspect it.  I also believe I’ve read here that they even have dogs that are able to detect firearms but I haven’t seen that firsthand and am not sure if that’s even a K9 skill (other than detecting burnt powder residue).  

As someone who doesn’t have kids and therefore could care less about theme parks this doesn’t affect me, but these policies suck.
View Quote

Well, I’ll be within walking distance of my hotel at Disney springs  so I can always leave it in the safe if they sniff me out
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 12:53:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Universal is absolutely no go. I have an easier time going through airport security than going through their bullshit.

Wallet out... belt off... bullshit.
Haven't tried carrying in another on body location (on not in) that works in other places, yet.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Almost 20 years ago, 2003, carried into the park, no metal detectors. Lady did pop me for a clip knife, just told me to put it into my pocket so the clip didn't show. Of course I didn't tell her about the G26 5" away.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:38:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/20/2021 12:41:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Universal is a no go anywhere past the parking garage. Disney Springs is also a no go. They now have some new kind of metal detectors at the entrances that everyone must funnel through. Same kind they are using at the parks. They installed them last winter during the pandemic when they were funneling everyone through masking and temp checks.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 10:28:12 PM EDT
[#15]
They had detectors at Springs in the parking garage.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 12:10:34 PM EDT
[#16]
You can't get anything in weapon wise. We just went to HHN last weekend and my SIL left his microtech auto BladeCenter his pocket. Security made a huge deal out of it. On the plus  side, we had enough medical marijuana products on us and Security only said "jealous" and passed us thru. We were staying at The Hard Rock  and walked over..
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:33:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I went to Halloween Horror Nights last night, including Harry Potter world, and they do have pretty strict security.
Before entering the City Walk, they have walk through metal detectors, wands for things that flag on the walk through, and x-ray for all pouches/purses/etc.  They require you to empty pockets into the bins just like the airport, and of note they didn't allow my Fenix Flashlight, which they saw as I placed it into the bin.

I suspect the the flashlight is a no-go for HHN due to the dark settings, but I can't confirm that.  

I was wearing hiking boots, jeans, and a western-style belt.  They made me take the belt off after I had taken the flashlight back to my car.  However, I still had a small can of POM OC, a Kershaw Leek (cheap in case it needed to be thrown away), and my small med-kit (with tourniquet, combat gauze, and pressure dressing).  They had nothing to say about the medical gear, which I placed into the bin with my wallet and keys.  Additionally, there was a small knife on my keychain that they didn't mention.

The Kershaw went into the bottom of my shoe along the instep, and the OC was in my skivies.  In my experience, most walk through detectors (outside airports and truly secure areas) disregard LOW shoe-level hits (they usually care about traditional ankle-holster or boot knife height), and a ping in the crotch area can be “awkwardly” explained as a large genital piercing.  As it turns out, the story wasn't necessary, as the operator chalked up the beep to the button on my jeans.  I think I MIGHT have been able to pass off my KelTec clipped underneath the crotch of my pants, but it's just a hunch.  

I had no problems entering with either the knife or the OC, and replaced them into my pockets once inside the City Walk (without pocket clip showing).  There was no additional screening at any point.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They have metal detectors.  CC is a no go.  I went one time before they installed the detectors, and I guess I looked the part because a gentlemen came up to me and asked if I was carrying.  I said yes and he was very cool about it.  He said even though they aren't allowed on property, I could go back and put it in my car.  YMMV though.  Harry Potter is a cool place.  Disarm and enjoy the day with your grandkids.  Sucks but their rules
View Quote

Yeah, our own Miami_JBT got profiled at one of the parks too IIRC.

So if you're wearing cutoff camo shorts and a rah-rah patriot (or Hawaiian now, I guess) shirt you're probably being watched closely around there.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 11:20:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The Kershaw went into the bottom of my shoe along the instep, and the OC was in my skivies.  In my experience, most walk through detectors (outside airports and truly secure areas) disregard LOW shoe-level hits (they usually care about traditional ankle-holster or boot knife height), and a ping in the crotch area can be "awkwardly" explained as a large genital piercing.  As it turns out, the story wasn't necessary, as the operator chalked up the beep to the button on my jeans.  I think I MIGHT have been able to pass off my KelTec clipped underneath the crotch of my pants, but it's just a hunch.
View Quote

A friend couple of ours went through with us a couple months ago...

His crotch pinged (cock cage - don't ask). They said yeah it's my penis and guy roles his eyes and said go in.  Menawhile I got the 2nd degree for my belt. I yelled at the wand security guy, oh my belt is a big issue but you'll let him right through with a cock cage on without checking/removing. He ignored me... so there you go.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

A friend couple of ours went through with us a couple months ago...

His crotch pinged (cock cage - don't ask). They said yeah it's my penis and guy roles his eyes and said go in.  Menawhile I got the 2nd degree for my belt. I yelled at the wand security guy, oh my belt is a big issue but you'll let him right through with a cock cage on without checking/removing. He ignored me... so there you go.
View Quote

Exactly this.  People don't think social engineering be like it is, but it do.  

Certain SERIOUS security situations aside, if you show people what they want to or expect to see, they will see precisely that.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 2:18:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Metal detectors?

Right.

I'm never going to go to the parks again.

Insane.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Going in November with the grandkids, can anyone tell me if I can carry in the park? Also, would there be a problem at Disney Springs Paddlefish restaurant?
Thanks in advance
View Quote

We were at Disney Springs a few weeks back. Depending on which entrance you go through they either have dogs or metal detectors. My metal lined Oakley glass case and mophie battery pack set off the detector every time. Even more interesting was the dog alerted on my shorts that I had wore to the range a few weeks before we went. Even after washing.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 9:39:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

We were at Disney Springs a few weeks back. Depending on which entrance you go through they either have dogs or metal detectors. My metal lined Oakley glass case and mophie battery pack set off the detector every time. Even more interesting was the dog alerted on my shorts that I had wore to the range a few weeks before we went. Even after washing.
View Quote

just got back from going to universal studios in orlando.  can confirm on K9 working the security area.  definitely have metal detectors etc.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I just went to HHN at Universal and hit Disney Springs when I was in town.

Universal has metal detectors and xray machines in between the parking garage and City Walk.

Disney Springs had metal detectors and bag check at the exit of the parking garage before you went into Disney Springs.  I didn't have a bag so I didn't notice if they had xray too.

Link Posted: 11/3/2021 11:53:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good one.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You do have to go through metal detectors at Universal. Even for CityWalk. I don't remember going through any at Disney Springs, but it's been a few years since I've been there.
View Quote
theyre in the parking garages.  
Quoted:
Universal is absolutely no go. I have an easier time going through airport security than going through their bullshit.

Wallet out... belt off... bullshit.
Haven't tried carrying in another on body location (on not in) that works in other places, yet.
View Quote

Quoted:
Universal is a no go anywhere past the parking garage. Disney Springs is also a no go. They now have some new kind of metal detectors at the entrances that everyone must funnel through. Same kind they are using at the parks. They installed them last winter during the pandemic when they were funneling everyone through masking and temp checks.
View Quote

Baby mama is a disney cultist and dropped some annual passes on me, so we spent last thursday through sunday there.  Sure theres a lot of security, but the guys at the entrances are sloppy.  Went in 3 different parks (animal kingdom, magic kingdom, and hollywood studios) with a mustang in the baby bag.  bag got pinged every time and we got sent over to the wanders/bag checkers.  Nothing more than a cursory glance into the bags and once they noticed the kids sippy cups were made of metal we got waved through every time.
Last day we did disney springs and I was not expecting the checkpoint in the garage and went through the detector with the mustang in my pocket and was pointed towards the wanders.  No one was actually paying any attention though, so we just kept walking to the elevators.

didnt see a single dog, and was never approached despite the molon labe hat I was wearing the entire time

She also did halloween horror nights at universal and got through security with a knife and OC spray in her bag (keeps talking about getting a CWL, but never gets around to going for it).

ymmv
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top