Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 1/1/2021 12:33:02 PM EDT
Hi all,

If you remember about a year ago, my wife and I were job hunting Central Ohio with plans to relocate from Upstate NY.

As it turns out, thanks to help from @bdover and despite the pandemic, I landed a job in Columbus and have been remote working since September. Fortunately for me, the company I left performed serious layoffs about a week after I started the new gig. Not sure I would’ve had a job if I didn’t make the jump. So far really enjoy my work even though I’m remote.

Wife and I are serious about staying Northwest/west of Columbus. Maybe Southwest if there are homes in a nice area- that would put us closer to my brother and his family in Lebanon at least. We particularly like Marysville, though, but Marysville housing is crazy like everywhere else I suppose.

We are trying to get a feel for the housing market beyond the insanity indicated by Realtor.com. Anyone have input from experience selling or buying recently? Anyone have a house in Marysville they want to sell me, hopefully not $20k over value lol?

I have the name of a realtor that my brother used when he moved from Hilliard to Texas. Going to give her a call to start the hunt.

Anyway, can’t wait to be free of NY state.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#1]
What’s your budget?

If you’re fine living in marysville, I’d push it out a little more. North lewisburg, Milford center, etc. you’ll get more house for your money and have the possibility to get some land too.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:24:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Wife and I are getting a house fairly north of cinci... We just got preapproved with her not so good credit and my very good credit score. 2.7% which I am happy with. (been a rough couple of years)

Lebanon, mainville, and milford has some nice areas. I assume that the market is still moving fast. If you find a nice property and house that looks great, be ready to act fast. Shit is still going within a couple of days of listing in some areas still.

Brother lives in mainville and I think he got into a bidding war with someone and had to over pay from list price just a touch. Market is great, just moves fast.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:27:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#4]
West Jefferson is a great area.
I'm in South Vienna.

Great school system, if that matters. Building new school this year, too.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 5:55:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What’s your budget?

If you’re fine living in marysville, I’d push it out a little more. North lewisburg, Milford center, etc. you’ll get more house for your money and have the possibility to get some land too.
View Quote

I think $250k is doable. Maybe more given it’s likely we’ll be ahead when we sell our current house.

We’d be open to expanding the search area. Marysville has a good mix of amenities we like.

My wife won’t do well being more than 30 minutes away from a Target and I think Marysville is pushing that as it is.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:19:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey we just moved here from IL welcome to Ohio! Like watching those commie state populations drop.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:48:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats on your upcoming freedom!
Get your Ohio license soon so you too can walk out of a store with a REAL AR in 10 minutes.
And a concealed carry in about two months.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 8:28:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Welcome. I'm up in NW OH, so I won't be much help with real estate in central OH.

"Marysville is a nice town" is really all I have to add.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 10:44:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Congrats from a former upstate NYer.

Let me know if I can be any help.

Once you get down here let me know, we can make garbage plates and shoot 30rd mags.
View Quote

Hell yeah, brother. I’ll let you know.

Though I’m not sure I’ll be drunk enough at any point to want to down a garbage plate lol. I do love Tahoe’s hot sauce though. I make a version to put on burgers and dogs in the summer.

Also I plan to hit Fin Feather Fur on the way in and stock up on whatever standard cap mags I can find. Price be damned, it’s the fucking principle behind it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 10:47:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Congrats on your upcoming freedom!
Get your Ohio license soon so you too can walk out of a store with a REAL AR in 10 minutes.
And a concealed carry in about two months.
View Quote

Since everything is moving to an automated status hoping it’ll be a quick process to get our cars registered and new licenses.

Haven't decided what the first buy will be. CZ Scorpion? Bren? Something cool and unobtanium in NY.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:41:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm in London (next closer to columbus from South Vienna already mentioned) and generally have nothing bit good to say about the area. We are less expensive than maysville or plain city. Can be at target in about 30 minutes. I am rural, shoot those 30 rpund mags in my back yard.

Welcome to (semi) freedom!
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Congratulations on escaping libtard NY.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#14]
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/10401-Shorey-Rd_South-Vienna_OH_45369_M43573-96187

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/10401-Shorey-Rd_South-Vienna_OH_45369_M43573-96187

View Quote

Damn that looks expensive for what it is. Less than 1600 sq foot ranch on less than an acre for $250,000

The market is crazy everywhere I guess
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 6:59:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Damn--you need to STAY AWAY FROM SOUTH VIENNA!!!

Knew my sister lived there which is bad enough, didn't know Leisure did too!!  

LOL--Madison County is actually a nice area.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Damn that looks expensive for what it is. Less than 1600 sq foot ranch on less than an acre for $250,000

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s just it. There are houses that have no business being listed $20k over value, but sell for that or more. It’s tough to buy right now on a budget.

Wife and I don’t want to move more than once to get where we want to be, but we might end up renting for awhile before buying another house.

Our current house is modest, we did a lot of work on it. Our realtor friend said we should expect more than one offer well over asking on it, no longer than one or two days after listing.

Hopefully we can get access to the MLS system and start looking without the middle man shit that is realtor.com or Zillow.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 2:44:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quick update:

Second week of May is our departure date from Upstate NY. May 13 or 14. Moving to a townhouse in Marysville right off 33, which is perfect because that’s a straight shot to the office outside of C’Bus. We’re in the process of hiring a moving company and finalizing the listing of our house.

I’m pretty stoked.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 11:36:57 PM EDT
[#20]
welcome, thirsty!

Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top