Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2018 11:00:37 PM EDT
My dear father passed a couple weeks ago.  In one of my last conversations with him (I live in NV), he mentioned that he wanted to give his Glock 19 to a friend.  At the time I told him I'd be happy to help when the time came, between that conversation and my father's death we didn't have the opportunity to discuss the legalities.

My mom found a document on Dad's laptop where he wanted to give my brother, who lives in state, his shotgun and gun cabinet.  He also states that he wanted his buddy to get both of his pistols.

I'm concerned that with the way NY law is that since Mom doesn't have a license/permit for those pistols the State in all its wisdom would declare her a felon or say she has to turn them in.  So, Dad's buddy does have a permit/license and does own pistols as well, but I don't know the process.  I tried looking at some links here but didn't find anything constructive.

I'd really appreciate; links to specific laws/procedures or any free and unsolicited legal opinions/direction.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:28:18 AM EDT
[#1]
There is a limited amount of time in which they need to be turned over to another permit holder or an FFL, without needing to go to police. I would try to avoid the police at all costs. This is for the pistols.

Since the shotgun is going to a direct relative (from mother to son) no FFL is required.

If you let us know where things are located, someone may be able to direct you to an FFL we know who might help that someone here frequents or personally knows.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:42:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Have your mother and dad's buddy go to his favorite small FFL who is willing to do the transfer with dads permit and the pistols, there is some paperwork that needs to be filled out (check local county clerk website, some will post the forms online I know Monroe County is one), it may take until court officially declares mom executor of the estate. Do this quickly.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:55:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Who is the executor of the estate?
They can legally possess the handguns for a couple of weeks while in the process of disposing of the estate firearms.
Is there a will?
Ultimately the executor is going to turn the handguns over to an FFL, who will then transfer them to the licensed friend.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Onondaga county
Syracuse, NY

I'm not sure if there's a will.  I know there was a running document on Dad's computer of 'Things to do before' and 'Things to do after' his death.  I'll follow up with Mom and my brother in CA in regards to a legal will.  I know Dad had an attorney and had done a DNR and Advanced Directives prior to his passing.

My brother in California is the executor of my parents estate, but since Mom is still kicking I believe she can be the disposer of property at this time.

I'll call Dad's buddy and find out who they did their FFL transfers with.

I really appreciate all of your input on this and the fact that all the direction is consistent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top