Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2021 3:25:36 PM EDT
We just bought our first travel trailer and are going to Outer Banks tomorrow. Is it true that RVs with propane tanks have to stop at the tunnels and be inspected, turn off the tanks? If so, is there an inspection station somewhere to pull off? Also, I’ve been going to Va Beach for decades and know how the traffic on 64 between Richmond and Norfolk can be during the season. We are coming from Charlottesville so would it be better to go down 95 to Petersburg and take 460E ? I have never been through that way so I know nothing about it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I love 460.  If you take 460 to 58 and get on 64 in Chesapeake you will bypass all the tunnels. You will have a toll on the Chesapeake expressway unless you get off before the toll and take 168 business.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 6:38:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love 460.  If you take 460 to 58 and get on 64 in Chesapeake you will bypass all the tunnels. You will have a toll on the Chesapeake expressway unless you get off before the toll and take 168 business.
View Quote

Yeah, I know about the toll. What’s the time difference ? I’d guess with 64 traffic, 460 could be about the same time?
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 6:45:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yeah, I know about the toll. What's the time difference ? I'd guess with 64 traffic, 460 could be about the same time?
View Quote
I have not driven 64 to richmond since I moved out to suffolk.  Now depending on the time of day "rush hour" I wouldn't be caught dead on 64.  There are a few 35 mile sections of 460 that you do not want to get caught speeding in.  I take 460 even if it takes a few extra minutes it is worth it not to be stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, especially towing anything.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:34:04 PM EDT
[#4]
For sure go 460.  Your primary bottleneck on that route will be the high rise bridge from bowers hill to the bridge .  The inspection stations are all right before the tunnel if you choose to go 64.  Big signs and pull offs that say inspection stations .  It is true that you will need to pull over for them to verify your propane is shut off
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would just ante up for the toll. You really dont want to be towing a camper down Battlefield Rd, a narrow 2 land road with 6ft deep ditches on either side.

If you go through the tunnels just make sure your propane is turned off. Pull into the inspection station, tell the attendant that your tanks are off, and 99% of the time they will just wave you on through.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 6:49:55 AM EDT
[#6]
The tunnels have a check station. They are a pull off about a half mile from the tunnels.
Not a big deal, most time the guy doesn't even come out of the building.  They just want to know that the propane tanks are turned off.

Might add 5 minutes to the trip.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 6:53:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I would just run down 64.

If you come down 460 you will need to go across the high rise bridge.  It is under construction and usually has lots of traffic.  Also from 460 to the bridge is under construction.

Besides most vacation related traffic is over for the year.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#8]
OP- you can avoid the toll on the Ches. Expressway if you get off at exit 8A.  Make a left at the end of the ramp and turn right at the light where the Sheetz is.  It will bring you out at the light where the Expressway ends.  You save the $10.00 toll and there are plenty of places to eat at that exit.  Also, the Sheetz is usually the cheapest gas in the area.  Sad thing is, the gas prices in OBX are less than VA's prices now with our new gas tax.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 7:15:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP- you can avoid the toll on the Ches. Expressway if you get off at exit 8A.  Make a left at the end of the ramp and turn right at the light where the Sheetz is.  It will bring you out at the light where the Expressway ends.  You save the $10.00 toll and there are plenty of places to eat at that exit.  Also, the Sheetz is usually the cheapest gas in the area.  Sad thing is, the gas prices in OBX are less than VA's prices now with our new gas tax.
View Quote

It’s a Wawa, and that’s the part of Battlefield Rd that is 2 lanes and has the ditches. It also has heavy traffic.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Depends on the time you are traveling it.  I've made it through there and only had to stop because of a red light.  And yeah, I forgot, it is a WAWA.  Same place with a different name.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Update: traffic was stopped at the tunnel for a bit. My wife had to work longer than we hoped on Friday so that put out time into the evening rush. But we made it just fine. We stayed at Camp Hatteras in Rodanthe. Very nice campground that has both oceanfront and sound side sites. We were just a few steps from the dunes. All packed up and headed home now and I’m gonna try out 460 for the first time. Thanks to all for the input.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 1:14:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The tunnels have a check station. They are a pull off about a half mile from the tunnels.
Not a big deal, most time the guy doesn't even come out of the building.  They just want to know that the propane tanks are turned off.

Might add 5 minutes to the trip.
View Quote

Propane (particularly) is heavier than air (unlike CNG) and leaks in a tunnel tend to collect in low lying parts of the tunnel.

Tunnel ventilation has been designed around propane leaks settling in low.
The design of the ventilation systems occurred before CNG was popular, so it has been optimized for propane leaks
This means CNG leaks that rise up higher and can collect.

A spark from a ventilation fan turning on in an area charged with CNG is NOT something you want to happen.

Link Posted: 10/18/2021 8:28:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Chelsey living her best life
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top