Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2024 12:57:51 PM EDT
I might take a job in Laconia, NH. My wife will likely need to go to Cambridge a few times per week.

Do you think it would be doable to split the distance? I'd prefer to be in NH, but I realize she might need to be in Massachusetts to qualify for certain grants and fellowship funding.

Any suggestions on locales? We would probably only do this for a year or two, then move to Laconia.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 1:49:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: steve8140] [#1]
Depending on the hours of the job and timing of the commute, it is definitely doable.

Manchester to Boston is about an hour drive without traffic so anything in the same range would be similar.

Probably 45 minutes to Laconia.

Avoid living in MA at all costs.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 1:57:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Derry is a wonderful "town"

I wont say property tax does not suck but pretty much anywhere in NH sucks that is halfway decent
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Auburn is great too and has lower property taxes than most anywhere else in the area.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Only thing I got is for some reason I'm seeing the southern NH to Cambridge drive being easier, albeit more rage inducing, than the southern NH to Laconia drive.  Of course depending on where in Laconia there are also the state roads like 106 which offer a pretty straight shot in versus 93 to 3.

Also, if you eventually move to Laconia, you'll definitely want to comparison shop nearby towns versus the city of Laconia.  EVERYTHING changes one town to the next, but that's a thread for a couple years from now.

and yeah, do everything you can to avoid living in MA.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Archangel1972:
Derry is a wonderful "town"
View Quote

Strange that the town of Derry has a 34K population, but the city of Berlin has only 10K.  Even when you take into account that Berlin continues to shrink from its mill town highs.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:44:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:28:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Archangel1972] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FDC:

Strange that the town of Derry has a 34K population, but the city of Berlin has only 10K.  Even when you take into account that Berlin continues to shrink from its mill town highs.
View Quote

Yeah Derry is like the 7th most populous  place in NH but its still under town style management even though its large enough and should be a city

Its a but odd but it works for the conservative locals
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top