Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2021 7:11:42 PM EDT
Mrs here.

James had almost finished a rifle for me, and it is not totally put together (2 pieces right now).

I have a box(s) of parts and am not sure what I would be looking for to complete it. I know he had all the parts, just when I started the packing process I didn't thinks about it till I looked down at 2 big gun parts and said well crap, I probably should have paid attention.

Is there a reliable Gunsmith in either the Marietta area or the Chattanooga area I could take it to and they could let me take a photo of the parts that I would need to locate, so I can find them in the box(s) of parts here and get someone to finish putting together (I have a family member who can probably do it, but they live a ways from me)?

I am going to copy to the GA hometown as well.
Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 6/5/2021 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 8:07:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I am outside Manchester about 1.5 hrs from Nashville, not a smith but I've built a lot of them (Instructions on how to install the lower parts kit is why I joined here 16+ years ago. I can offer some free help if you need it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 4:03:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help!

I appreciate it. James was the gun guy, I am sorta into them (I can hit the rings in the target with my pistol, but nowhere near on the level he was).

Going through his gun stuff is overwhelming, cause I don't know what half of it is, or what all the parts are for. I remember my dad and grandfather building muzzle loader long rifles 20+ years ago, but nothing like this.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Going through his gun stuff is overwhelming, cause I don't know what half of it is, or what all the parts are for.
View Quote

Get a couple of guys to help you organize & price that stuff. Some may be worth more than you think & some may be worth pennies. It will need experienced people to know which is which.

Good luck to you!
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 6:04:06 AM EDT
[#5]
These are pretty good books to establish a baseline with if you want to independently figure out any stock values. Anything with accessories or custom work won't necessarily line up with those prices but it will get you started. Most firearms having been selling for a premium since last year.

41st Edition Blue Book of Gun Values

Gun Trader's Guide
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I have several close friends who can help me with prices on things and have offered to, when I get to that part.

I made the decision, when James passed, to not do anything with "the gun stuff" other than move it for 10-12 months. It will give me time to make sure I don't make a bad impulse decision, as well as figure out if I want to get more into it or not, and what all is there.

The only thing I am going to do is get this one rifle put together and functional.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 2:11:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I’m not far from Chattanooga.  Assuming we’re talking about an AR pattern rifle here, I’d be happy to help you assemble it and test fire it on my private range if you’d like.  If you think James would enjoy knowing that you completed the gun rather than having someone else do it, it would be my pleasure.  If you just want it built, I can do that too.

PM me if you like.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top