Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2018 10:34:58 AM EDT
Looking for a gunsmith in the Tavares/Leesburg/Mt Dora area that could install new sights and an apex Duty/carry kit on my shield
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:23:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Try Lake County Arms in downtown Mount Dora.  The owner,  Mark Simpson,  is a good friend and installs all my night sights and always deals at a fair price.  They're also not dbags like the AW Peterson crew. The items in the shop are only limited by the real estate downtown.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:23:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try Lake County Arms in downtown Mount Dora.  The owner,  Mark Simpson,  is a good friend and installs all my night sights and always deals at a fair price.  They're also not dbags like the AW Peterson crew. The items in the shop are only limited by the real estate downtown.
View Quote
Care to flesh out that that statement about the Dbags at AW Petersons?

I have dealt with them for close to 40 years, Served with Cary Baker in the reserves, never been treated anything but fairly there, as have people in my circle, some of whom have done a lot more business with them than I.

They have always been a little pricy, but good, friendly folks in my experience.

Not trying to be antagonistic, but genuinely curious as to what experience you might have had to bring you to that statement.

I rarely stop in there now, maybe once a year, and haven't done business with them in a long time.

What changed?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:33:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I have dealt with them for close to 40 years, Served with Cary Baker in the reserves, never been treated anything but fairly there, as have people in my circle, some of whom have done a lot more business with them than I.

They have always been a little pricy, but good, friendly folks in my experience.

Not trying to be antagonistic, but genuinely curious as to what experience you might have had to bring you to that statement.

I rarely stop in there now, maybe once a year, and haven't done business with them in a long time.

What changed?
View Quote
My personal experience with them I was in one time and asked where all the ARs were guy behind the counter said no one needs and AR to hunt deer... I left and haven't been back since
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:24:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What changed?
View Quote
@PR361
No problem.  I know of Carey as well and have no beef with him.  I was also in 2/124. That being said it's a fudd shop by virtue of their employees and they didn't exactly tickle my fancy when they were selling pmags at $40 during the last panic.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:17:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Started going there in the mid 80's.

Last time I was there, about two years ago, two employees were bickering back and forth over helping a customer... to the point I was embarrassed for them.

Before Stuart retired (I think he retired), I watched several people stand at the cash register waiting to pay only to be ignored until Stuart yelled out for someone.

In short, I think the CS has gone down hill and some employees are there just to be there... have not been there since.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:04:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies, as I said, I haven’t patronized them much lately , as the father of two teenagers, my gun collecting has gone on hiatus.

Last time I saw Stuart was at one of my best friends Dads funeral a few years back, think he was Peterson’s best customer, most of the staff showed up at his funeral...

Sad to hear that  a once great place isn’t anymore.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:08:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Might look into Pat's Pawn & Gun in Leesburg...
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Firebase Tactical in Groveland on 50 is pretty good. Owned by a guy named Matt that has helped me out a lot.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:26:25 PM EDT
[#9]
yeah give Matt a try at Firebase. Pats is also good to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top