Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2020 1:58:38 PM EDT
I have an M1 with a new 7.62mm barrel on it that is short chambered and I need it reamed to set headspace.

Looking for recommendations in the Tacoma area.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a gunsmith right next to Mary's Pistols on Tyler street. No personal experience other than I've met the guy

Bolle & Tammaro Gunsmithing (253) 531-2930
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Wtf is with Tacoma and guys wanting to fuck up "modify" garands?

There was a guy from Tacoma who massacred garands for years? McCann?

I remember seeing him at shot. Abortions "Variants" in all different calibers. I heard you had to crawl through the garage door at his shop.

Eta- My own prejudices made me hijack my own post. McCann or whoever has his shop may be able to help you?
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 12:18:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I can assure you there is nothing fucked up about  my M1 collection .

This is a NOS genuine USGI 7.62 barrel , manufactured by THE Springfield Armory in 1965
For the United states military.
I took it out of the wrap myself over 20 years ago.
Now I'm getting around to building it getting the short chamber reamed so it will headspace.

So what's fucked up about that ?

I have 20 or so M1s in 30.06 but I can tell you the 308 M1s shoot great, ammo is easier to find
And modern 308 gives up nothing to 30.06 except recoil.

I guarantee, you have nothing to teach me about M1s cav

Link Posted: 6/2/2020 12:20:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks scottr,
I'll check them out
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 1:57:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Might be to your advantage to get the pull reamer(?) and learn to do it yourself.

I have two model 70's that were butchered by two different guys here in Western Washington that supposedly did good work. I wouldn't let anyone around here touch a firearm I liked. I believe the only exception to that may be the fellow in Puyallup who chambers barrels and builds rifles. Sometimes had a table at the WAC show. I can't remember his name...

Link Posted: 6/2/2020 7:57:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Ed La Pour in Bremerton, if he's still around. He is most definitely set up to do what you want. You can find him on the google.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for your replies.
Never thought about Ed, I'll give him a call
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 12:30:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had Ed do lots of work for me over the years. Always first class.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 2:51:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wtf is with Tacoma and guys wanting to fuck up "modify" garands?

There was a guy from Tacoma who massacred garands for years? McCann?

I remember seeing him at shot. Abortions "Variants" in all different calibers. I heard you had to crawl through the garage door at his shop.

Eta- My own prejudices made me hijack my own post. McCann or whoever has his shop may be able to help you?
View Quote

Rick passed away several years ago. His 458 and 300 win mag Garands weren't for everyone but he wanted to stretch the envelope with the Garand platform. I know you remember the Sage chassis for the Garand from SHOT 2006, he wasn't the only one. Look what Ohio Ordnance tried to do with the BAR.
His shop was a standard old school gunsmith shop and he was a good enough machinist to build some impressive stuff. You could walk right through the front door too.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 1:06:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I remember reading that there were some M1 Garands made in 7.62 mm for the U.S. armed forces. I don’t recall when, or for which branch(es). Correct?

ETA: (I meant 7.62 x 51)
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 1:25:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I remember reading that there were some M1 Garands made in 7.62 mm for the U.S. armed forces. I don’t recall when, or for which branch(es). Correct?
View Quote

I bought a intact ammo can of M80 ball in enbloc clips from a gun store in Hawaii back around 2007-08', shot all of the ammo in my M1A, and sold the can, bandoleers, and clips for more than I paid for it with ammo inside.  I kept the brass, all LC 65'.  The fact that the ammo existed in that configuration leads me to believe it was a pretty popular thing for a brief period in the 60's before the transition was complete to the M14; right before they were replaced with M16s.  From what I read, most M1s in 7.62x51 were for the navy.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 11:41:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Iit was the Navy.

Navy 7.62mm NATO Conversion M1 Garand - Mk2 Mod1

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top