Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/15/2018 6:56:40 PM EDT
The Florida Constitution Review Commission (CRC) will be voting on anti-gun proposals and amendments to the FL Constitution to be added to the ballot for public votes in the coming November elections. To be added to the ballot, it will require 22 of 37 commissioner votes. Once added to the Nov. ballot, it will require 60% of Floridian votes to pass.

The proposals seek to permanently raise the legal age to purchase ALL firearms to the age of 21 and add the banning of all semi-automatic rifles ("assault weapons") to the Florida Constitution. Making it harder for the NRA to continue with its lawsuit.

I have listed down here all 37 commissioners' email addresses. Copy and paste the entire list into an email and communicate to them your opposition to the gun control amendments and proposals to the FL Constitution. Perhaps someone else can come up with a good email body template for others to easily use when sending the email.

[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected]

Should voters get a chance to ban assault weapons? Panel could put it on 2018 ballot.

How would you vote on age limit, 3-day wait for gun purchases? It might be on ballot.

An assault weapons ban in Florida may be left to voters
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#1]
This is Gov. Scott's appointee Belinda Keiser's response:

"Thank you for expressing your thoughts on this proposal. As this proposal moves through the committee I will continue to give this issue the time and attention it deserves. I hope you will continue to engage in this constitution revision process."

The threat is real guys and gals. If we do not get active locally, we will continue to lose this fight.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#2]
All semi auto rifles? Lol, good luck with that.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
That's exactly what people said when the FL legislators were discussing a ban on ALL firearms for 18, 19, and 20 yo. If we don't get active locally, we will continue to lose the fight.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That's exactly what people said when the FL legislators were discussing a ban on ALL firearms for 18, 19, and 20 yo. If we don't get active locally, we will continue to lose the fight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Florida Legislature can pass laws like SB7026, but the Florida Constitution cannot be amended without 60% voter approval in the next general election.  Not likely, but doesn't mean they wont try...
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The Florida Legislature can pass laws like SB7026, but the Florida Constitution cannot be amended without 60% voter approval in the next general election.  Not likely, but doesn't mean they wont try...
View Quote
I think it's very likely. About 85 to 90% of Democrats would vote for it and some measure of Republicans as well. Most don't understand that the left's definition of "assault weapon" is by cosmetic features, not by function. There's also likely to be a heavier than normal Democrat turn out. That's also why they pushed so hard to get medical marijuana on the ballot during the presidential election cycle. I personally am not fond of the rash of constitutional amendments in Florida lately. People don't seem to understand that is a big f'ing deal and anything amending our state constitution shouldn't be trivial.

The poll they are citing with 62% support was just over 1100 random people. There isn't a break down of what counties were polled. The questions asked just asked about "assault weapons", they didn't define what that meant.

I never forget that the left doesn't care how they get what they want. They will lie, they will go around laws, they will do anything and everything. Despite claiming the moral high ground, they have no moral compass.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 2:56:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think it's very likely. About 85 to 90% of Democrats would vote for it and some measure of Republicans as well. Most don't understand that the left's definition of "assault weapon" is by cosmetic features, not by function. There's also likely to be a heavier than normal Democrat turn out. That's also why they pushed so hard to get medical marijuana on the ballot during the presidential election cycle. I personally am not fond of the rash of constitutional amendments in Florida lately. People don't seem to understand that is a big f'ing deal and anything amending our state constitution shouldn't be trivial.

The poll they are citing with 62% support was just over 1100 random people. There isn't a break down of what counties were polled. The questions asked just asked about "assault weapons", they didn't define what that meant.

I never forget that the left doesn't care how they get what they want. They will lie, they will go around laws, they will do anything and everything. Despite claiming the moral high ground, they have no moral compass.
View Quote
I absolutely agree that we should not amend the constitution for matters that should be covered with law; who can forget the tethered pregnant pig amendment that passed some years ago.  I still think it would be a hard sell to even get an AWB amendment on the ballot and even more difficult to get 60% of the real people of Florida to vote in favor of it.

I must admit, however, I never saw SB7026 coming; and I never imagined the Republican supermajority Florida legislature would push that through, so quickly, without intelligent debate.

So it should be regarded as a possible threat at this point.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#7]
The montra “for the children “, has lulled normally gun control resistant voters into supporting Bill’s such as the the travesty that passed and was signed into law by our unscrupulous Governor Scott. Many of us in our sixties or older, haven’t seen such a fast and furious vote against the Second Amendment,
by a supposed pro gun conservative legislature. We must, and cannot allow this betrayal to happen again. After all, there is no other county, and damn few states
that offer refuge for armed citizens. Failure means that we become subjects and  our citizenship is lost.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 5:12:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I agree with you completely. I just think if they use the exact terminology "ALL semi automatic rifles" they will get nowhere, and that is my fervent hope.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#9]
the local gun show cancelled this weekend,, they tried to appease the anti-civil rights antigun people. so now they are holding a gun ban convention in its place to show how pleased they were. show weakness and they jump on it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#10]
there is talk on another rally at the State capitol. I will try to make it again but funds are pretty low at the moment. this time thought think they were trying to do many states at once
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#11]
This is the current wording as per the articles linked:

"In his amendment, an “assault weapon” is defined as a semiautomatic rifle that is able to accept a detachable magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device that is capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition, or that has a fixed magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition."

They have also stated that they will use the same or similar group of people and law professors that helped write and get the marijuana amendment passed to write the anti-gun amendment.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 8:39:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Any indication of a grandfather clause?

Thats a lot of rifles to "confiscate"
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I believe I read somewhere that it will have a grandfather clause. But we should not let it get to that point.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 11:38:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I’m hoping it stalls out, but I’m nervous. If it goes on the ballot, I will be shitting kittens. If it passes, I will seriously consider moving to another State, been wanting a change of scenery for a while anyway.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 11:48:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I’m hoping it stalls out, but I’m nervous. If it goes on the ballot, I will be shitting kittens. If it passes, I will seriously consider moving to another State, been wanting a change of scenery for a while anyway.
View Quote
Well, start emailing and getting locally active. They are winning the local fight. Regardless of what state you go to, eventually if you do not get active locally, they will keep doing shit like this. In a majority republican controlled senate and house in FL, and they passed the shit they did. Unbelievable. Don't think it can't happen anywhere else.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 12:12:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I call and email... I’m not entirely sure they even take email seriously, they just have a couple of canned emails imho.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I believe I read somewhere that it will have a grandfather clause. But we should not let it get to that point.
View Quote
I don't want it to, but need to know.    That's all.

ETA:

I just went through the proposed amendments, only one mentioned a ban on "Assault Weapons" that basically stated every AK/AR platform.  Was put in by Rodriguez.  https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2018/7026/Amendment/831648/HTML

Was marked as: Unfavorable 2/26/2018.

Am I missing a "new" proposal?
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I don't want it to, but need to know.    That's all.

ETA:

I just went through the proposed amendments, only one mentioned a ban on "Assault Weapons" that basically stated every AK/AR platform.  Was put in by Rodriguez.  https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2018/7026/Amendment/831648/HTML

Was marked as: Unfavorable 2/26/2018.

Am I missing a "new" proposal?
View Quote
That's the law they passed, this thread is about a possible constitution amendment.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 6:14:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's the law they passed, this thread is about a possible constitution amendment.
View Quote
Kind of my point.

I see no talk of "bans coming to the constitution" anywhere other than here. Where are we getting this info?  Where are the proposals?  Etc.

The links in the OP have nothing but what already tried and failed.  At least from what I can read.  Maybe I'm skimming over it.  Link please.

ETA:  What I posted in the link was from the OP link.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 7:21:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Kind of my point.

I see no talk of "bans coming to the constitution" anywhere other than here. Where are we getting this info?  Where are the proposals?  Etc.

The links in the OP have nothing but what already tried and failed.  At least from what I can read.  Maybe I'm skimming over it.  Link please.

ETA:  What I posted in the link was from the OP link.
View Quote
Yeah, I checked the CRC website and read current proposals by Martinez or Smith and I can't find any language related to guns. The articles linked say that they want to add these to the ballot in Nov. but so far, as I said, I can't find anything specific. Make no mistake, they're trying and they're relentless. We have to stay on our toes but I think we can leave the Pmag covers on, for now.

eta: here are the active proposals currently under consideration.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yeah, I checked the CRC website and read current proposals by Martinez or Smith and I can't find any language related to guns. The articles linked say that they want to add these to the ballot in Nov. but so far, as I said, I can't find anything specific. Make no mistake, they're trying and they're relentless. We have to stay on our toes but I think we can leave the Pmag covers on, for now.

View Quote
Isn't their deadline April?  After that, with nothing added they can't after?

I'm not good with these kind of things.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 9:49:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I agree with you completely. I just think if they use the exact terminology "ALL semi automatic rifles" they will get nowhere, and that is my fervent hope.
View Quote
Hope in 1 hand, shit in the other. Which one fills up first?
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 1:11:50 AM EDT
[#23]
FL falls this will be big for the country the anti gunner will be trying this in all the states.......
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 3:42:43 AM EDT
[#24]
https://thefloridachannel.org/videos/3-13-18-constitution-revision-commission-st-petersburg-part-1/

This link is to part 1 of the CRC meeting on 3/13/18, the last public meeting of the year. Around 9:00ish is the first anti-gun speaker. Another one at 36:30ish.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 3:44:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you look carefully down at the Note, it says "This list contains the 36 proposals that remain under active consideration by the CRC for the 2018 General Election ballot. Additional proposals may
possibly be considered in accordance with Rule 4.5. ..."

So they can very well add additional proposals. Better start hitting those emails.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 6:21:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
FL falls this will be big for the country the anti gunner will be trying this in all the states.......
View Quote
your statement, along with your avatar
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#27]
My only response so far was a 0.

Greetings,

Thank you for expressing your thoughts on this proposal. As this proposal moves through the committee I will continue to give this issue the time and attention it deserves. I hope you will continue to engage in this constitution revision process.

Sincerely,

Belinda Keiser
[email protected]???
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 4:29:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Just sent this in a mass email to the list.

It is with great concern that I write this email, it is one that I had never dreamed I would have to. As a proud Floridian, I am at a loss regarding the recent attacks from the media and the legislature on our second amendment rights. I am troubled, as the laws and proposals being pushed forth do nothing to keep our children safe and everything to further erode our constitutional rights. The focus has shifted from school safety and security, to scapegoating the law abiding citizens and the aesthetic characteristics of the most popular sporting rifle in the United States. The proposed bans and restrictions only chip away at the very foundation of our great country and are nothing more than feel good legislation with no real purpose or thought. Please, I urge you as a constituent, do not vote “aye” on any bills, laws or proposals that seek to further distance us from freedoms the founding fathers guaranteed us. To do so would only ensure that our votes in the upcoming and future elections go to politicians that seek to enforce and defend the Constitution of the United States.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 11:01:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I just put a post on this in GD, since not everyone checks this sub fourm
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 12:49:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Emails sent!  Thanks for the heads up!  
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Email sent
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Email sent to all the commissioners. I've already gotten quite a few automated, canned responses.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Reported on News 13 this evening that the Constitution push for more gun Control failed!!!!
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't know if our emails changed anything but I am welcoming the news.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Small victory, but not a reason to let our guard down in any way.  The antis will be back and hit harder.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Time to send an email and call to thank the responsible members for listening to the citizens of Florida...
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 12:05:12 AM EDT
[#39]
It was killed for being procedurally improper; they didn't vote on the merits.

The forces pushing for this policy change will not stop with the CRC. I suspect they'll try to get it on the ballot in a future election, using the usual signature/petition process. And if it makes it on the ballot in the future, expect a very hard fight. The polling numbers, at least right now, look concerning.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 2:09:42 AM EDT
[#40]
They pretty much said they didn't expect to get it on the ballot this year. They will keep trying. The way those questions are put on the ballot for people to vote doesn't tell you anything about the law behind it. They are counting on that. At this point even with the turncoat R's we have in office it would be almost impossible to get the law passed that they want. Most Republicans at least understand enough to not want to ban all semi-auto guns. But if the left gets it on the ballot as an amendment they can be very vague with the wording and have a much greater chance of getting the 60% threshold.

I'm actually pretty damn tired of the BS stuff that's made it in as amendments lately. Some of the stuff I'm not against, it's just their way of getting around things. That's one of the problems with being a conservative, we tend to try and follow the rules and laws. The other side doesn't.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 6:17:30 AM EDT
[#41]
other than yankees moving here, Florida's biggest problem is letting the Constitution be amended by popular vote.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 9:13:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
other than yankees moving here, Florida's biggest problem is letting the Constitution be amended by popular vote.
View Quote
The reason we have that is from years of domination by a single party in Tallahassee whom wouldn't listen to their constituents.

Trading one big problem for another in the long run.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
florida's biggest problem is people treating each other like crap. look at the way they drive.  they can't even hold the door for someone. this is coming from south fla. I hope your area is better than mine.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Can I get the cliff notes as to what's going on in FL regarding gun control shit?

Are they trying to ban outright like commiefornia? I thought I read something about a 2 year halt on sales of ARs and the like. If that's the case does that mean it only effected new sales not current owners and is there registration talk?

Legitimately curious.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Can I get the cliff notes as to what's going on in FL regarding gun control shit?

Are they trying to ban outright like commiefornia? I thought I read something about a 2 year halt on sales of ARs and the like. If that's the case does that mean it only effected new sales not current owners and is there registration talk?

Legitimately curious.

Thank you.
View Quote
What we got from the law makers:

Must be 21 to buy a gun.

Can't sell to under 21 if you're an FFL, but a private seller might be OK.  Poorly worded.

Unless you have a carry permit, are a cop or have passed a hunter safety course; 3-day wait for all gun sales.

Bump stocks be banned as of October 1.

Money will be ceremonially burned to avoid citing the actual cause of the chain of events leading up to the murders in Parkland.

A largely theoretical pathway to allow some school employees to conceal carry has been created.

Schools are now mandated to have an SRO on duty, but no real funding for it is provided to either the schools or LEO agencies.

No gun control appears to be forthcoming from the constitutional review, so far.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 7:53:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

What we got from the law makers:

Must be 21 to buy a gun.

Can't sell to under 21 if you're an FFL, but a private seller might be OK.  Poorly worded.

Unless you have a carry permit, are a cop or have passed a hunter safety course; 3-day wait for all gun sales.

Bump stocks be banned as of October 1.

Money will be ceremonially burned to avoid citing the actual cause of the chain of events leading up to the murders in Parkland.

A largely theoretical pathway to allow some school employees to conceal carry has been created.

Schools are now mandated to have an SRO on duty, but no real funding for it is provided to either the schools or LEO agencies.

No gun control appears to be forthcoming from the constitutional review, so far.
View Quote
Thank you Z09
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 10:02:04 AM EDT
[#48]
I will remain in Florida long enough to vote against Rick the trader Scott should he run for U.S. Senate.... Then I will be moving to a state that is pro2nd. Am...
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 12:04:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I will remain in Florida long enough to vote against Rick the trader Scott should he run for U.S. Senate.... Then I will be moving to a state that is pro2nd. Am...
View Quote
Your new sanctuary won't remain pro 2a for long.  It's spreading faster than you can run.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Your new sanctuary won't remain pro 2a for long.  It's spreading faster than you can run.
View Quote
That's what I think too, we are under siege everywhere bros.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top