Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2021 5:33:54 PM EDT
Governor issues executive order to fight COVID-19 vaccine mandates

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WSFA) - Gov. Kay Ivey has signed an executive order targeting federal COVID-19 vaccine mandates.

The Biden administration has already implemented mandates for COVID-19 vaccinations or testing for federal employees and military service members. It also applies to certain private sector entities, such as health care facilities that receive Medicare or Medicaid funding and businesses with 100 or more employees.

Other private companies may legally choose to mandate vaccinations or testing.

Ivey’s executive order calls the federal requirements an “overreach” and says that the state, through the attorney general’s office, could issue legal challenges.

Alabama Attorney General Steve Marshall’s office said they are preparing to challenge the federal contractor mandate. However, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services and Occupational Safety and Health Administration have not yet been formally proposed by the federal government. This means there is nothing to file a claim against yet.

The executive order directs all state entities within the executive branch to cooperate with any such litigation. It also states that executive branch entities cannot issue penalties for noncompliance with the federal mandates. It also offers legal protections for those state employees and contractors who fail to enforce federal rules.

Ivey issued the following statement upon signing the order:

“The federal government’s outrageous overreach has simply given us no other option, but to begin taking action, which is why I am issuing this executive order to fight these egregious covid-19 vaccine mandates. Alabamians – and Americans alike – should and must have the choice to roll up their sleeves to get this shot and certainly not forced by government. While President Biden laughs at the idea of protecting your freedoms, I will continue fighting for Alabama businesses and their employees.

If the federal government presses on with these new federal mandates, then the Biden White House has once again failed the American people. As I have stated, no doubt, this will be challenged in federal courts. I am already working in concert with Attorney General Steve Marshall, because Alabama is standing firm in this fight. This latest move by the federal government is what I believe is an illegal overreach, and I am confident we will win the battle in the courts.

I am adamantly opposed to federal mandates related to the covid-19 vaccine and adamantly opposed to state mandates related to the covid-19 vaccine, plain and simple. As long as I am your governor, the state of Alabama will not force anyone to take a covid-19 vaccine. Through today’s order, the state of Alabama is making our position on this issue crystal clear. A state law in response to President Biden is not enough. The courts are where this will be resolved. Today is one step in this fight, but certainly not the last.

Alabamians are overwhelmingly opposed to these outrageous, Biden mandates, and I stand firmly with them.”

Alabama Senate President Pro Tem Greg Reed, R-Jasper, also released a statement:

“The Governor’s executive order is a positive first step toward protecting Alabamians from the vaccine mandates imposed by the federal government. This overreach by the Biden Administration puts individual freedom at risk and will cause significant economic challenges to industries across our state. I will continue working at the state level to protect Alabamians from this reckless mandate. I will also continue to support Attorney General Steve Marshall’s efforts to challenge this mandate in federal court.”

Statement from Alabama House Speaker Mac McCutcheon, R-Monrovia:

“By issuing her executive order today, Gov. Kay Ivey has fully engaged Alabama in the battle against the unconstitutional and oppressive vaccine mandates that Joe Biden has attempted to force upon individuals and private business owners across our nation.

Gov. Ivey’s action confirms Alabama’s opposition to Biden’s order and provides Attorney General Steve Marshall with yet another effective tool to use in his efforts to overturn the vaccine mandates in federal court.

As Alabamians, we hold tightly to the freedoms and liberties guaranteed to us by the U.S. Constitution, and the executive order that Gov. Ivey issued today proves we will fight to protect our rights from being taken away.”

Copyright 2021 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 8:47:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool...
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 6:58:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I fear it's too little too late
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#4]
There's a whole lot of stupid in the private/corporate mandates that this order does not address.

Case in point: Patient called yesterday saying that vaccine was mandated by ULA by a certain date. He would be terminated for noncompliance. The kicker is that he had COVID less than 90 days ago. The HR dept at ULA knows about his illness due to quarantine records, and they know that CDC recommends waiting 90 days after infection to get the vaccine, but still told him he would be terminated if not in compliance by a specified cutoff date despite a clear contraindication to getting a vaccine within that timeframe. I had a similar incident in August with an ATT employee.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's a whole lot of stupid in the private/corporate mandates that this order does not address.

Case in point: Patient called yesterday saying that vaccine was mandated by ULA by a certain date. He would be terminated for noncompliance. The kicker is that he had COVID less than 90 days ago. The HR dept at ULA knows this, and they no that CDC recommends waiting 90 days after infection to get the vaccine, but told him he would be terminated despite a clear contraindication to getting a vaccine within that timeframe. I had a similar incident in August with an ATT employee.
View Quote
Wow
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 8:52:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 8:56:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey said the "way to resolve" opposition to federal mandates for taking the COVID-19 vaccine is "through the courts" and not through proposed legislation that has recently surfaced in Montgomery.

Ivey, following a speech in Mobile Tuesday, said that it "makes no sense to have a federal law and state law at odds" that places employers in an uncomfortable middle-man position to make decisions that could place them in a "bad position."

https://www.al.com/news/2021/10/alabama-gov-kay-ivey-oppose-biden-vaccine-mandate-through-courts-not-legislation.html

LOL. She is playing media games. The courts have already ruled they are not knocking down various mandates.

Passing a law is more than just lip service.
View Quote
Sounds like what she is saying is she does not want to be held responsible when business says Ivy and the state overruled Biden and the feds. She probably remembers the Wallace debacle and is fearful. My wife says who works for Ivy's friend thinks she is old and solid and not swayable but I see her bending all the time and she seems more of an undercover democrat to me most of the times....but I am hopeful.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 9:07:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 9:11:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Ivey keyboards:
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 10:31:59 PM EDT
[#11]
The University I work for waited until the last minute to inform us of our vaccine requirement. Basically a left week to begin the vax process for the 2 dose brands. Several of us in my department have submitted religious exemption requests. Word is that they waited so that the unvaxxed would just cave and get it, but supposedly they are going to be pretty liberal in handing out the exemptions. Fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 11:22:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I sis in law just got approved for religious exemption so hopefully yours will go through.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 11:52:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:59:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The AG sent them a letter saying they could not question a religious request.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The University I work for waited until the last minute to inform us of our vaccine requirement. Basically a left week to begin the vax process for the 2 dose brands. Several of us in my department have submitted religious exemption requests. Word is that they waited so that the unvaxxed would just cave and get it, but supposedly they are going to be pretty liberal in handing out the exemptions. Fingers crossed.

The AG sent them a letter saying they could not question a religious request.

Nice, I'm not holding my breath but that does give hope that an exemption will be approved. Hell, I work outside and alone. I'm zero threat to anyone. It's a university with over 10k students, but they aren't required. Forcing a couple hundred employees to get the jab isn't preventing anything.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 8:49:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 9:07:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Twelve bills related to vaccinations were introduced in the ongoing special session on redistricting, but key lawmakers said they do not expect to debate the proposals before the winter regular session.

House Speaker Mac McCutcheon said Republicans want to fight the mandate but suggested it would be counterproductive to pass legislation that couldn't impact federal law. The U.S. Constitution's supremacy clause is clear that federal law overrides any conflicting state laws.

"The last thing we want to do is have a knee jerk reaction on something that may sound good politically, but in substance what does it do. You haven't done the people any justice by doing it that way," McCutcheon said.

https://www.al.com/news/anniston-gadsden/2021/10/alabama-vaccine-mandate-will-lead-state-employees-to-quit.html

Weak.
View Quote
Weak is right.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#17]
That’s not how 10th amendment works…
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 9:42:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 11:24:12 AM EDT
[#19]
The majority of the Alabama GOP needs to be replaced with people that actually have a spine.

Link Posted: 11/2/2021 7:35:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The majority of the Alabama GOP needs to be replaced with people that actually have a spine.

View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 9:12:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 9:32:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Senate passes bill allowing religious, medical exemptions to President Biden's vaccine mandate

Alabama lawmakers are responding to opposition to President Biden's vaccine mandate from those whose jobs could be affected or believe it is an infringement on freedom.

The Senate today passed a bill to allow employees to claim medical and religious exemptions to the mandate under state law.

Biden's mandate allows exemptions, but the sponsor of the bill said many were being denied. The bill passed by a vote of 26-5. It moves to the House.

https://www.al.com/news/2021/11/senator-says-alabama-bills-to-mitigate-vaccine-mandate-face-uphill-battle.html

Long article at the link.

I don't really care for this. It should be if a person doesn't want to get a shot, that should be good enough.
View Quote
A-fraking-men.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 8:44:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#26]
It is a gross over reach

Link Posted: 11/10/2021 10:41:20 PM EDT
[#27]
My religious exemption request was approved today.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My religious exemption request was approved today.
View Quote

Mine is in process.  They can take their time for all I care.

One of the questions was whether or not I had asked for a religious exemption in the past. And why or why not?

I checked no, and took my opportunity to politely and respectfully vent.  I told them that until this moment, I have never been forced or coerced with threat of disciplinary action to take any kind of vaccine.  I said that until this point, taking a vaccine was a choice that I could make on my own.  I didn't have to file an exemption request because I could make the choice on my own to not take a vaccine and no one said anything about it!

It did make me feel better!
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#29]
I submitted an exemption..
It starts: I MAKE THIS DECLARATION UNDER DURESS AND AGAINST MY 1st AMENDMENT CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS AND PROTECTIONS UNDER HIPPA, ADA, and EEO.

Approval of these exemptions is left up to whatever BIASED person who reviews it. Not my doctor, not a priest, but some government person who decides if the exemption is compelling and enforceable. Once you put it out there they have it forever.
No matter how many times I start to fill out the religious exemption, I cannot bring myself to do it.  I will not ask permission of the GOV to be allowed to practice my faith in a country that promises it SHALL NOT INFRINGE.

I'm a stickler for policy. I was good enough to  work in the office double masked BEFORE we had a vax with people on their second and third bout with this BIOLOGICAL WEAPON.

My lively hood and job are being held hostage by the government.

Link Posted: 11/17/2021 10:03:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top