Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2018 10:10:11 PM EDT
I need the Hives opinion on this. I had to use a dremel to remove the front sight post and I gouged the barrel. I think I know the answer, but is this still useable, or is it a NOGO?
" />" />
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:24:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like the start of some nice fluting to me.

In all seriousness, you’re talking about the silver line, not the round dark spot, (that is a dimple, right?). The silver line looks ok to me (how deep is it?). If you’re talking about the dark indent, then that might be a different answer.  But think about it, you can dimple a barrel with no repercussions, and if that’s safe, I would imagine a shallow gouge would be too.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:41:28 AM EDT
[#2]
FPNI again!
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:51:51 PM EDT
[#3]
As long as the gas port seals no problem . Just paint the gouge with some lock tight around the gas port and install the gas block and your good to go .
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like the start of some nice fluting to me.

In all seriousness, you’re talking about the silver line, not the round dark spot, (that is a dimple, right?). The silver line looks ok to me (how deep is it?). If you’re talking about the dark indent, then that might be a different answer.  But think about it, you can dimple a barrel with no repercussions, and if that’s safe, I would imagine a shallow gouge would be too.
View Quote
The dark indent is where the front sight railed gas block was pinned in. (BACKWARDS THANKS S&W) After looking through where the pin was, the barrel is pretty thick, I was just worried about hairline cracks, but I never even thought if fluting. I guess there's plenty of material there.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:15:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As long as the gas port seals no problem . Just paint the gouge with some lock tight around the gas port and install the gas block and your good to go .
View Quote
Gas port is unaffected, this is the bottom side and the rail should cover up any blemishes, so ill just loctite it and move on with my rebuild. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 3:06:03 PM EDT
[#6]
it's superficial. not going to hurt a thing.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 1:26:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I hope that's a dimple, not the gas port. Either way, it's ugly.

If you're super worried about it use you network to find an x-ray tech willing to image it for you (it's a high enough density that any fracture shouldn't be too difficult to spot). If you want to go big there are a lot of class 7's (manufacturer) around; one is bound to have a magnetic particle testing thing-a-ma-bob and willing to bend you over to test your barrel--although a new barrel might potentially be cheaper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top