Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2021 6:45:40 PM EDT
what are some good suburbs of saint louis for a guy commuting into downtown for work?

no kids so i don't need good schools.

just looking for a decent place to live with a decent commute to downtown.  

TIA.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
what are some good suburbs of saint louis for a guy commuting into downtown for work?

no kids so i don't need good schools.

just looking for a decent place to live with a decent commute to downtown.  

TIA.
View Quote

Take a look at Olivette...
Close to multiple highways and lots of decent restaurants...
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:01:16 PM EDT
[#2]
West County.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#3]
West or South of 170.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 9:12:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Jefferson County or St. Charles County.....it's worth it to drive in
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 10:25:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Lots of different options depending on what you are looking for as far as housing/land, restaurants, etc goes.  Each area in the suburbs and outskirts can vary greatly from one another.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 6:44:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I grew up in University City. I left St. Louis in 1983 and have never looked back. I live about two hours away in Jefferson City (a town of about 40K people). Other than catching a flight, I almost never go anywhere close to St. Louis. So, I have no idea which suburbs are desirable.

That said, if I ever had to live in St. Louis again, I'd flat out do it and get the whole urban experience. I'd downsize and find some place in a gentrified area of St. Louis where I could feel the vibe of the city, walk to bars and restaurants, be part of the great melting pot and absolutely go for it. There is no way I'd put up with the life-sucking daily commute required to live in a "good neighborhood." That's just me. If I'm going to live in the city, I'm going to live in the city. Short of that, I'll stick to small town living.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Since you are completely unfamiliar to STL the judgmental maps to any city can be a good guide.  

Look anywhere it says white flight whites and republicans.  

Popular areas are Jefferson county and St Charles county.    Just a note on crime. St Charles county has had an increase in auto thefts and DA put together auto theft task force  pushing for highest bail and police agency's are perusing suspects in chases.    STL county does not do that.  Message is don't come to ST Charles and commit crime.      

Real Estate market is very hot right now.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 7:27:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 11:30:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You know, I live in Manchester and it's really nice here. Really good neighbors, everything I could possibly want just a few minutes away, close to 141, 44, and 64. Surrounded by excellent restaurants and such.

But if I had to do it over again I'd stay out of St. Louis County completely. I'd miss the convenience and food options a lot, but politically it's much more friendly the further out you go, and COVID has really shown how that makes a difference.
View Quote
I'd agree. Was in Ballwin for about 20yrs, but moved out to Franklin County a year ago just before the lockdowns.  

For me, land and freedom > nearby TacoBell.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Wentzville and any of St Charles County.

Where will you be working?
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 9:16:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lots of different options depending on what you are looking for as far as housing/land, restaurants, etc goes.  Each area in the suburbs and outskirts can vary greatly from one another.
View Quote
out there for work for 1-2 years.

looking for a small rental condo/townhouse/apartment.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 9:17:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
downtown near jefferson and chouteau.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 11:37:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Screw suburbs. Live near your work. Ride a bike into the office. Take the metro. Go to restaurants and bars. Go to ball games. Hit the museums. See some shows. Enjoy the city. Why spend a third of your waking hours driving to some cookie cutter particle board house where there's nothing to do and all your neighbors are busy with church and soccer practice? Yeah, there's black people downtown. Probably some brown people, too. There's gays and drunks and druggies. Maybe even a bunch of Democrats? Lots of crime, too. So what? It would be an interesting change of pace from Montana.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:40:44 AM EDT
[#14]
That's very close to the Soulard Farmers Market area, and lots of people really like that spot. I don't know if it's still there though, because I left St. Louis long ago. I used to work at the North end of the riverfront, starting when it was still Wharf Street. Sometimes we'd go to the McDonald's boat for lunch.

Edit fer spellin
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:20:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Screw suburbs. Live near your work. Ride a bike into the office. Take the metro. Go to restaurants and bars. Go to ball games. Hit the museums. See some shows. Enjoy the city. Why spend a third of your waking hours driving to some cookie cutter particle board house where there's nothing to do and all your neighbors are busy with church and soccer practice? Yeah, there's black people downtown. Probably some brown people, too. There's gays and drunks and druggies. Maybe even a bunch of Democrats? Lots of crime, too. So what? It would be an interesting change of pace from Montana.
View Quote
This, for such a short time I'd suggest Soulard in the city or maybe Brentwood/Maplewood depending on what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I live down in North Hampton (at the intersection of "Italians" and "Scared White People" according to the map above). We're about 15-20 minutes from downtown / Soulard, 10 minutes from forest park and Central West End, and 30 minutes from the airport. So super easy to grab an uber to go out...but nice not having to live 'in the shit' of Soulard, downtown, or Central West End.

It's quiet (relative to other areas of the city), crime exists but it's not extreme, some decent restaurants nearby, solid middle class. Wife works for the PD and the area was recommended to us since a lot of the officers who live within city limits live in this neck of the woods.

Nearest shooting range is Arnold Rifle and Pistol Club about 30 minutes south. 400 yard range, pistol pits, nicely kept, very reasonable membership costs. Or you can go to the public ranges if you're into that sort of thing.

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:13:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
kinda liking this idea.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:14:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I live down in North Hampton (at the intersection of "Italians" and "Scared White People" according to the map above). We're about 15-20 minutes from downtown / Soulard, 10 minutes from forest park and Central West End, and 30 minutes from the airport. So super easy to grab an uber to go out...but nice not having to live 'in the shit' of Soulard, downtown, or Central West End.

It's quiet (relative to other areas of the city), crime exists but it's not extreme, some decent restaurants nearby, solid middle class. Wife works for the PD and the area was recommended to us since a lot of the officers who live within city limits live in this neck of the woods.

Nearest shooting range is Arnold Rifle and Pistol Club about 30 minutes south. 400 yard range, pistol pits, nicely kept, very reasonable membership costs. Or you can go to the public ranges if you're into that sort of thing.

View Quote
gracias.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 11:32:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh shit. Yea St Charles or St Peters unless you don'tmind the drive. More bang for your buck and lower taxes than St Louis county.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:40:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hmmm, the Grove would be convenient for you.

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 4:44:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I wouldn't live inside the I-270 loop.  Or in St. Louis County, and damn certain not St.Louis City.

Crowded hive of villany.
View Quote

And yet he's going to work there.

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:30:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

You may like living in the city some people do.    There are some good neighborhoods.  I have friends that live in city and like it.     Just the buffer from good to bad isn't as much in the suburbs.    Have you been out to look around yet?        If your looking to buy the St. Charles county  has been going crazy this last year.  

There are some nice dept conservation ranges  to shoot at, but   some great private clubs.   Many of guys try MO DOC then join a club.     Arnold as mentioned and  Benchrest isn't that far depending where you wind up living live has multiple ranges that go up to 1200 yards.   The longer ranges require qualifications and other rules, but for guys into 600 and 1200 yard shooting its a great place.  Also lots of steel targets.     Pistol bays as well.  

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:01:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

And yet he's going to work there.

View Quote
haven't accepted the job yet.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#25]
You should totally move to north county.
Hazelwood/Florissant is nothing but magic!
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:32:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
haven't accepted the job yet.
View Quote

Ask for more $.  
I’m pro recruiter btw.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A job in St. Louis will get you into close proximity to women.  Trainloads.

View Quote
is that a plus?
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Ask for more $.  
I'm pro recruiter btw.
View Quote
i always ask for more money.

whether or not more money is in the budget is another question entirely.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
is that a plus?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A job in St. Louis will get you into close proximity to women.  Trainloads.
is that a plus?

If you like women it's a bonus. We aren't judging though.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Take a guess where the riots are going to be and go ahead and live there.  

When you need to defend yourself, your life will be pretty much over.

Be careful who you listen to.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
i always ask for more money.

whether or not more money is in the budget is another question entirely.
View Quote

Budget?!?!    

How bad do they need you and how specialized is what you do?

PM me if you want any advice.  

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Budget?!?!    

How bad do they need you and how specialized is what you do?

PM me if you want any advice.  

View Quote
they claim to need a guy like me.

pretty specialized gig.  that very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career.

that said, i've never had much luck getting them to go over the stated range.

will send you a PM.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#35]
I drive STL 2 and 3 days a week.  If I was only going to be there 2 years, I'm renting downtown.   Enjoy the city as there is a bunch to do for that short amount of time.   I wouldn't waste time driving.  Depending on what time you go into work, can be a 20 minute to 3 hour drive.   If it rains, snows, looks like snow, the wind blows, granny decides she needs to go on the loop, it is worse!
If you are going to buy and live there it would give you time to look around as well.
My .02.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:33:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You post as if you are on the hunt for a woman.  I don't know, maybe you want a house full.  I expect you can fill expectations.

View Quote
i want a new cah, too.

i liken the female situation to new cah shopping:

a) i can afford a new cah but don't want to spend the money

b) i don't have a place to pahk a new cah

c) i don't really need a new cah d/t forced work from home d/t the fake plague

d) i like driving around in an old beater that i don't care about

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 4:15:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Since you are completely unfamiliar to STL the judgmental maps to any city can be a good guide.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/62534/tumblr_o2mk8u3g0d1s4df8ko1_1280-1886034.png

Look anywhere it says white flight whites and republicans.  

Popular areas are Jefferson county and St Charles county.    Just a note on crime. St Charles county has had an increase in auto thefts and DA put together auto theft task force  pushing for highest bail and police agency's are perusing suspects in chases.    STL county does not do that.  Message is don't come to ST Charles and commit crime.      

Real Estate market is very hot right now.
View Quote

Yeah, Huntleigh Estates neighborhood looks like multi million dollar homes with guest houses and pools and tennis courts on everyone lots lol

Edit wonder if the Mc Kloskey's live in that area of St Louis County.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:18:39 AM EDT
[#39]
I lived/worked in the StL area for a few decades. The above map is quite accurate. The commute to St Charles can be a bitch. You will learn the term "bridge traffic". Jefferson county is better but, well, JeffCo is still a few decades behind the rest of the area. StL city? No way in hell. StL county? West county is expensive. South county is working class with all sorts of working class stuff going on. Anything north of 70 is another hell no. Illinois? No way unless maybe Belleville or somewhere similar and of course "bridge traffic".
I wouldn't go back up there for any amount of money but if I had to first choice would be west county then either south county or JeffCo.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:22:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yeah, Huntleigh Estates neighborhood looks like multi million dollar homes with guest houses and pools and tennis courts on everyone lots lol

Edit wonder if the Mc Kloskey's live in that area of St Louis County.
View Quote

Not sure if you’re serious. . . .

The McCloskeys live in the city, near Forest Park . . . The protesters walked by their house on the way to the mayor’s residence.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:39:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Do the McCloskeys live in a gated community where the streets are private property instead of city owned?
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:03:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Do the McCloskeys live in a gated community where the streets are private property instead of city owned?
View Quote

Quasi-private STREET (not community). I believe there is at least some public services provided on those streets.

Here’s a liberal magazine’s take on private streets:

https://www.stlmag.com/history/architecture/private-streets-of-st-louis/

These discuss the McCloskeys specifically:

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2020/06/29/meet-the-mccloskeys-private-places-lead-to-spatial-anti-blackness-in-st-louis/

https://archive.curbed.com/2020/6/29/21306868/st-louis-gun-couple-protest-street
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL...  I grew up and lived in this area for a bit over 40 years. More accurately I guess, I lived in Riverview, a bit worse than those two...

Just to get an idea of how bad folks want out.
I sold my house for 15K. Appraised at 98K about 6 years earlier and I put over 10K into it.
Dad recently sold his house for 9K. 5 Bedroom, 2 story, garage and biggest property on the block.
One of my friends sold his house for 10K. About the same as my house.
One of my other friends wanted out so bad, they just bought another house out in the country said fuck it and gave their house back to the bank.

It was a great place to grow up, but the last 10 or so years it has turned into a warzone of poverty and decay.  
I've seen folks in East St. Louis talk shit about how bad its become. I feel bad for all the folks that are stuck there...

If you can make the drive, I'd really suggest something South of South County or North West of St. Charles. As far those directions as you can get.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#44]
I like it here in Saint Charles but we’ve had a lot of friends and family make the move out west to Wentzville & Troy in the last few years. You get a lot more for your $ out there.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 3:48:55 PM EDT
[#45]
I have a 1b/1ba apartment in St Louis Hills. It's on the stretch of Jamieson Ave, south of Chippewa. I actually like it a lot, and wished that I had moved to this neighborhood sooner. There is some crime, of course, but nothing like some of the other city neighborhoods mentioned. Parking is easy, and the area is very safe & walkable. Francis Park is very nice.

I work over by the AB Brewery, so it's not too bad of a drive. I have several stores (Target, Walmart, Schnucks) very close to me, along with plenty of other places. Rent seems reasonable for the area. There are much worse places to live in the city.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:18:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I lived/worked in the StL area for a few decades. The above map is quite accurate. The commute to St Charles can be a bitch. You will learn the term "bridge traffic". Jefferson county is better but, well, JeffCo is still a few decades behind the rest of the area. StL city? No way in hell. StL county? West county is expensive. South county is working class with all sorts of working class stuff going on. Anything north of 70 is another hell no. Illinois? No way unless maybe Belleville or somewhere similar and of course "bridge traffic".
I wouldn't go back up there for any amount of money but if I had to first choice would be west county then either south county or JeffCo Franklin Co.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2021 8:23:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

LOL...  I grew up and lived in this area for a bit over 40 years. More accurately I guess, I lived in Riverview, a bit worse than those two...

I sold my house for 15K. Appraised at 98K about 6 years earlier and I put over 10K into it.
Dad recently sold his house for 9K. 5 Bedroom, 2 story, garage and biggest property on the block.
One of my other friends wanted out so bad, they just bought another house out in the country said fuck it and gave their house back to the bank.

It was a great place to grow up, but the last 10 or so years it has turned into a warzone of poverty and decay.  
I've seen folks in East St. Louis talk shit about how bad its become. I feel bad for all the folks that are stuck there...

If you can make the drive, I'd really suggest something South of South County or North West of St. Charles. As far those directions as you can get.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't have to tell me man, I'm still here.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:37:39 PM EDT
[#48]
For a job downtown I’d be looking at northern Jefferson county(the county directly south of STL) specifically Arnold or Imperial Missouri. The commute to downtown via highway 55 isn’t bad and you’ll find cheaper real estate, lower taxes and less COVID lock down BS.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:01:40 PM EDT
[#49]
I hear the Metro East is mighty fine
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top