Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2018 10:47:08 AM EDT
Anyone have any recommendations for someone that can engrave serial numbers on 80% Glock lowers in the WNY area?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure, but I'm in for the information...

Bill
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:22:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I heated up some metal punches and melted it into mine.  The ontario county clerk thought it was OK.    Just be sure to include FUAC in there somewhere.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know anyone who can help, but is this for Erie? If so, how cool is the clerk with homemade pistols? What is the process to get one registered?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 5:14:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know anyone who can help, but is this for Erie? If so, how cool is the clerk with homemade pistols? What is the process to get one registered?
View Quote
NYSP has their own process, and as this is NYS each county has a variation of it because why would it be easy. As far as NYSP is concerned, you have to register the frame prior to the build, you have to engrave a serial (it can be whatever) and you list yourself as the manufacturer along with action and caliber when you register it.   Erie county has decided that you have to go to an FFL first and have a background check done prior to them registering it.  This would make the FFL the manufacturer, and since they are all 03s for the most part would exceed the scope of their license.  It does not become a firearm till you complete the frame as far as the BATFE and NYSP are concerned.  I will share my latest email exchange with the NYSP when I get home as gmail is blocked here at work.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:50:57 PM EDT
[#5]
The FFL thing is stupid. So you basically have to pay for a transfer for a gun you built yourself.

I have thought of building some type of pistol also, but NY has to make it a pita.

If I can remember, I will ask our machine shop guys if they have any recommendations for engraving. Are you engraving in plastic or some type of metal?

Keep us updated on the process.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:24:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Its just like a regular Glock, there is metal embedded in the frame where the rail is, that is what I need engraving.  There are services out there that can do it for $45 a receiver plus shipping, I am sure I can do better than that
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:19:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I didn't see any metal in my gen 1 poly 80 frame.  I just stamped it in the side.  Ontario County was a little confused, when I told them I would be the manufacturer, but they added it anyway.  *shrug*
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:43:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Any updates on getting this done?

If you have not had it engraved yet, I would try Blue Tune in Kenmore. They should be able to do it, I just don't know what they would charge you.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:10:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Nope, no updates as of yet. There are companies online that charge $45 per gun.  I got my lowers during the Midway blowout last month. If its too much of a hassle,  I will sell them to a buddy out of state and get the completed serialized P80 lowers and just build up on those.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 1:21:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Blue Tuna wont do it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Was good enough for Ontario county.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 1:15:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nope, no updates as of yet. There are companies online that charge $45 per gun.  I got my lowers during the Midway blowout last month. If its too much of a hassle,  I will sell them to a buddy out of state and get the completed serialized P80 lowers and just build up on those.
View Quote
I got two frames during Midway's BF $60 sale, too. Both subcompacts.

I brought them to my property in PA, built one of them, and there it stays as a plinking toy. The other one hasn't been built yet. I never intended for them to stay in NY, as I didn't even want to deal with NY's bullshit.

It was fun to do, though. But I haven't shot it yet.

Pic was taken before my replacement slide lock spring came in. Lost the first one during the install.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:43:06 PM EDT
[#13]
@tyranid any update on getting this engraved and on your permit?
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:46:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, I sold my 80% frames and got a serialized completed frame from Brownells for $100 shipped.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 11:43:13 PM EDT
[#15]
When I looked at this I called Saratoga, Washington and Warren counties and they all said that the NYS police told them only an FFL can put the serial number on it, which means they'd have to be a manufacturer FFL and not just a dealer.

Then they would do an amendment, I could get a 4473 then finish it myself.

They're just making shit up now (NYSP).
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#16]
From a post on the old NYfirearms forum, Erie County seems to have pulled their head out of their ass and will let you register prior to completing the build with no NICS check.  I have a couple of other projects that are eating up gun money, but I will try again sometime in the next couple of months
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Ontario County was a bit confused as to the manufacturer, but they added it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#18]
So how does the P80 process work in NY?

Just order one and have it added to a PP before it is made into a firearm?

I hope Andy has nightmares about people buying them and not having a permit.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So how does the P80 process work in NY?

Just order one and have it added to a PP before it is made into a firearm?

I hope Andy has nightmares about people buying them and not having a permit.
View Quote
It all depends on your County permit office. They can lay all sorts of bullshit on top of what is actually the written law and its perfectly legal here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top