Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2020 11:06:56 AM EDT
After buying my first Glock (G29) a few years ago I learned it has a loaded chamber indicator (LCI) as part of the extractor.  I visually check to ensure I am chambered and ready to use, but the Glock's LCI would be useful in the dark.  It is a clean and simple system which makes me wonder if any other manufacturers use it rather than a separate part like S&W, Springfield etc.  Anyone know if Glock's LCI is patented?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:45:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:but the Glock's LCI would be useful in the dark.  
Just slide your trigger finger over it and feel for it, in the dark
It is a clean and simple system which makes me wonder if any other manufacturers use it rather than a separate part like S&W, Springfield etc.
It's nearly identical to the one in my Kahr PM40. Albeit, the Kah'r extractor is a bit larger.
Anyone know if Glock's LCI is patented?
Almost all major manufacturers have their LCI patented. I don't see one listed under Gaston Glock or Value Privatstiftung, however.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#2]
HK common uses a slight tilt to the extractor, often with a red paint on the top, to indicate a loaded chamber. If you're fumbling in the dark under stress and relying on that, good luck. But it's handy at times.
I THINK that it's basically the same thing as Glock's setup, but there may be subtle differences. I've never paid any attention to the Glock version.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Beretta doesn't advertise it, but you can use the 92's extractor as a LCI. I doubt it's patented.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:05:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Beretta doesn't advertise it, but you can use the 92's extractor as a LCI. I doubt it's patented.
View Quote
I think there is a little bit of red painted on there.

I think some states require it
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:39:41 AM EDT
[#5]
This type of indicator has been in use since at least the early 1900s.  The P-08 Luger has an extractor with the word "geladen" (loaded) on the side of it which is exposed when the chamber is loaded.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:51:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Beretta has several patents, for LCI's. Their 92 LCI is specifically mentioned, as well as Glock's, in several other LCI patents, by other makers.

Quoted:  The P-08 Luger has an extractor with the word "geladen" (loaded) on the side of it which is exposed when the chamber is loaded.
George Luger has several patents on his designs, for an LCI.
Here's one of his US applications
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:59:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I think there is a little bit of red painted on there.

I think some states require it
View Quote
Interestingly, the extractor based LCI used on most centerfire Glock pistols is not sufficient for  the Mass. attorney general's consumer safety requirements.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/massachusetts-ag-hands-fine-gun-dealer-new-gun-law/
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 6:04:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's a neat fact- the new .22LR Glock, the Glock 44, has a view port on the barrel hood that allows the user to see if there is a round in the chamber. That said, it can be a little difficult to perform that visual check in low light conditions.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:00:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Interestingly, the extractor based LCI used on most centerfire Glock pistols is not sufficient for  the Mass. attorney general's consumer safety requirements.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/massachusetts-ag-hands-fine-gun-dealer-new-gun-law/
View Quote
Yeah, but she's lesbian so that's a big win for a commie shit hole like Massachusetts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top