Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2018 9:48:07 PM EDT
I do not work for, nor am I affiliated with either of the ranges, but wanted to voice my positive opinions on two ranges in my area:

Palm Beach Shooting Center -I have never personally had any negative experiences associated with this facility.  Great management (kudos to JP), great staff, reloader friendly, rifle for $20, or pistol only for $15.

I asked JP for a reasonable deal, disclosing them what they were up against offered online, and he was more than accommodating.  I was happy to support local!  Thinking of getting their annual membership for $300.

Okeechobee Shooting Sports -If they weren't an hour away, they would be my favorite facility, simply given the amenities.  Love shooting steel!

Staff in my experience is very good to good, so probably a notch under Palm Beach Shooting Center.  Range fees for the full monty fun is about $50.  The annual membership I would want is $550.  Having the hick ups just thinking of trying to justify this in my current life cycle dynamics.  If I were a bachelor, sign me up...  Heck, I wouldn't even mind the drive.  Open range advantage is weather dependent, so both facilities get the nod on differing weather conditions.

Just my humble opinions and thoughts.  Living in the urban jungle we're limited on options.  The above two are good bets, especially knowing what a cluster the public facility is proving to be.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 6:45:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Agree with the above.  Used to hit Palm Beach Shooting Center, but use Shoot Straight now for the only reason that they are more convenient given work and home locations.

Long time member at OKSS, signed up way back when when they had a membership drive while still under construction.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 12:26:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I pretty much only shoot at Okeechobee Shooting Sports.  I like being outdoors vs indoors when shooting.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I just returned from Shoot Straight in WPB where my wife and I are members, and I try to go there to shoot a few times each week.

I've shot at all the local ranges and even held a membership at another indoor range,  but I prefer the overall experience at Shoot Straight.

At least we have the Sheriff's range to shoot outdoors at here as well, it's not all that great though.

We're lucky to have so many ranges to shoot at in Palm Beach but we really need the public outdoor range to open already.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 6:32:03 PM EDT
[#4]
never been to either but nice report.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:28:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Shoot Straight is a solid choice as well.  Unfortunately they do not allow reloads.  I could sneak them in, but do not want to on merit (outside of legality:).  I guess I understand the argument of how royally yahoos can be a great liability to not only themselves, but to the safety of innocent others around them if something goes wrong given their stupidity.  Their "more corporate" feel really shines through here...

PBSC and OSP are more than OK with reloads.  Basically, everything I shoot, I reload.  The experience of knowing what goes in the chamber, goes bang, and lands at the other end of the line is equally as important to my hobby.  When I was shooting store bought ammo, I did not have as full appreciation of terminal ballistics, sub/super-sonic, expansion, jacketed/cast/plated.  This is all without even getting into powder burn rate, chamber pressures, and the myraid of other things that involves a lot of mechanics and physics that I took for granted.  The infinite possibilities of reloading equipment, brass, primers, barrel lengths, twist rates, castings, etc., keeps me fully engaged.

The Sheriff's office is a cool spot, but extremely limiting.  I could not believe the last time I was there, and was told that my AR pistol was a no go.  They only have rifle, and they are restricted on the line to rifle length only (kinda depending on who's there, but I do not want to chance it).  The range master guys were all very cool the numerous times I shot there.  (Except for the fella taking your money in the office.  He's the regular broad fella, seems highly depressed, and the attitude clearly shines through his unpleasant personality).  Can't we just all get along without trying to be pretentious?  On the positive, they will allow you to bring a chrono.  Got to the point that things just got a bit too rigid/boring, and have passed up going back.

So on my end, I will stick to supporting the guys who will not inhibit this amazing hobby I absolutely love, and embrace a bit of luck (easing up on the worst case liability scenarios) to keep things fun.  Whatever happened to common sense anyway?!  I digress...
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 6:59:07 AM EDT
[#6]
There was a time PBSC (and all the PBC ranges) would string you by the nuts if you brought in reloads........... I only shoot reloads I have loaded, fully appreciate your second paragraph

Never been to the Sheriff's range in the 30+ years I been in PBC (call it my little protest as it was slated for us common folk until a Sheriff (can't remember which one) decided he wanted it..........this goes back a long time), rather do the drive to OKSS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top