Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2020 9:07:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#1]
St George doesn't have enough young people to go out and riot
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 12:23:20 PM EDT
[#2]
The Rebel statue at Dixie State was removed years ago.Link

Dixie State University President was the Dean of Indiana State University here in Indiana when he was picked-up to go to Utah.

He lived in my Stake. He was a pretty good dude.

He was getting political pressure to have Dixie State remove Confederate ties from the minute he was given the job. (Utah had no  political ties to the Confederacy, "Utahs Dixie" is because it has a warm temperature, and Pioneers tried growing crops traditionally grown in The South.) So he was getting political pressure from those who hired him to eliminate ties to the Confederacy as soon as he was hired as University President.

So... He removed the statues, and has tried to explain that "Utahs Dixie" is from Pioneer days, had to do with the climate and crops, and pre-dates the Confederacy. It was originally not to celebrate the evils of the Confederacy.

But, in recent weeks, I think the name of the University is getting considered for change by Utahs high-ups... Link

I think Dixie States President is a good dude, trying to thread a needle. Removed the Confederate statues without incident. Took care of them, didn't destroy them, and gave them back to the artist.

But the name change might happen anyway...
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top